Rural QLD CC

Default Radio interference from 12v fan.

Greetings,
I've just installed a car stereo and I'm getting massive
interference from the 12v fan on the front of the A/C condensor. It's not
line noise though......it's actual RF interference. As soon as the fan
starts, the reception is so bad that it's almost like I've unplugged the
aerial! I've tried re-routing the aerial cable etc (even tried standing
next to the car with the aerial in my hand) to no avail. It reduces the
static, but doesn't eliminate it.

What options do I have here? Is it possible that the 12v fan is faulty in
some way? Surely these things shouldn't broadcast that much RF noise!?!

MrBonk
www.mrbonk.com

joe.ker

What type of vehicle is this.
Is the noise on AM and FM?
Sometimes that problem is caused be the hood not being grounded. most
vehicles have a braided cable or some other wire to ground the hood.

"Rural QLD CC" wrote in message
Greetings,
I've just installed a car stereo and I'm getting massive
interference from the 12v fan on the front of the A/C condensor. It's not
line noise though......it's actual RF interference. As soon as the fan
starts, the reception is so bad that it's almost like I've unplugged the
aerial! I've tried re-routing the aerial cable etc (even tried standing
next to the car with the aerial in my hand) to no avail. It reduces the
static, but doesn't eliminate it.

What options do I have here? Is it possible that the 12v fan is faulty in
some way? Surely these things shouldn't broadcast that much RF noise!?!

MrBonk
www.mrbonk.com

Kevin McMurtrie

In article
,
"Rural QLD CC" wrote:

Greetings,
I've just installed a car stereo and I'm getting massive
interference from the 12v fan on the front of the A/C condensor. It's not
line noise though......it's actual RF interference. As soon as the fan
starts, the reception is so bad that it's almost like I've unplugged the
aerial! I've tried re-routing the aerial cable etc (even tried standing
next to the car with the aerial in my hand) to no avail. It reduces the
static, but doesn't eliminate it.

What options do I have here? Is it possible that the 12v fan is faulty in
some way? Surely these things shouldn't broadcast that much RF noise!?!

MrBonk
www.mrbonk.com

The electrical brushes in the motor may be worn or dirty. A little
grease on them will generate small arcs that scramble everything from AM
radio to UHF TV.