Sm704

Default Wiring components as 2-Ohm load

Is it possible to wire a 4-Ohm pair of component speakers so that it
would present a 2-Ohm stereo load to the amp? The amp I am planning on
using is a 2-channel stereo amp, and the the specs says it's "Stable to
two ohms stereo". I would like to take advantage of the extra power,
but I'm not sure how or even if it's possible to do...

Thanks

joe.ker

You would need 2 8 ohm speakers in parallel and bridged or
4 4 ohm speakers, 2 on each channel in parallel or
1 4 ohm speaker bridged to get the amp to see a 2 ohm load

"Sm704" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it possible to wire a 4-Ohm pair of component speakers so that it
would present a 2-Ohm stereo load to the amp? The amp I am planning on
using is a 2-channel stereo amp, and the the specs says it's "Stable to
two ohms stereo". I would like to take advantage of the extra power,
but I'm not sure how or even if it's possible to do...

Thanks

Sm704

joe.ker wrote:
You would need 2 8 ohm speakers in parallel and bridged or
4 4 ohm speakers, 2 on each channel in parallel or
1 4 ohm speaker bridged to get the amp to see a 2 ohm load

I just found a little more information that seems to say otherwise:

[Begin Quote]

"If you parallel wire two 4-ohm speakers, the amp sees a 2-ohm load.
This lower ohm load (lower resistance) pulls more power from the amp
and causes the amp to run hotter. Amps that can handle this additional
heat build-up are considered 2-ohm stable."

[End Quote]

So I take it that it *is* possible to do what I am asking by wiring the
pair in parallel...

joe.ker

The amp is only 2 ohm stable is stereo mode. and 4 ohm stable in bridged
mode
you would need four 4 ohm speakers to run the amp 2 ohm load.

"Sm704" wrote in message
oups.com...
joe.ker wrote:
You would need 2 8 ohm speakers in parallel and bridged or
4 4 ohm speakers, 2 on each channel in parallel or
1 4 ohm speaker bridged to get the amp to see a 2 ohm load

I just found a little more information that seems to say otherwise:

[Begin Quote]

"If you parallel wire two 4-ohm speakers, the amp sees a 2-ohm load.
This lower ohm load (lower resistance) pulls more power from the amp
and causes the amp to run hotter. Amps that can handle this additional
heat build-up are considered 2-ohm stable."

[End Quote]

So I take it that it *is* possible to do what I am asking by wiring the
pair in parallel...

MZ

So I take it that it *is* possible to do what I am asking by wiring the
pair in parallel...

Yeah, if you want to leave one channel of the amplifier unused and listen to
your music in mono...

Daniel Snooks

Sm704 wrote:
Is it possible to wire a 4-Ohm pair of component speakers so that it
would present a 2-Ohm stereo load to the amp? The amp I am planning on
using is a 2-channel stereo amp, and the the specs says it's "Stable
to two ohms stereo". I would like to take advantage of the extra
power, but I'm not sure how or even if it's possible to do...

Thanks

Please ignore what joe.ker is saying .... what a tool

MZ is correct that you can't do what you want (unless you want a mono
signal), but I wouldn't mind adding a few thoughts.

The quote that you refer to in your second post is taken out of context. In
a component speaker system, the speakers already ARE wired in parallel. This
may lead you to ask how two 4 ohm speakers in parallel ends up still being 4
ohm. The reason is the passive crossover. Each speaker is only operating at
a specific frequency range, and except for a small area near the crossover
point, those ranges do not overlap. SO ... as a complete component "system"
the amp sees a 4 ohm load.
If you try removing the passive crossover you end up with two big issues :
1) you have full signal running to both the mid and the tweeter, which will
sound like complete ass.
2) because you have full signal running to the tweeter it is going to
self-destruct. Limiting the frequency range to the tweeter has the dual
effect of limiting the power going to the tweeter, higher frequency signals
are typically need much less power, so for a 100W component set, the tweeter
probably never gets more then 20W. The mid soaks up most of the juice. You
run full power to the tweeter and ... poof, out with the magic smoke.

Any of that help?

--
Dan Snooks

joe.ker

Your right, ignore what I said above. I was referring to wiring Subs not
Components.
you would need 2 pair of components (2 tweeters and 2 midbass/midrange) per
side to run 2 ohm load

"Daniel Snooks" wrote in message
.. .