spammy

Default Audiophile suggestion for 12" subwoofer to fit my needs!

Hi, I havent been on rec.audio.car in 10 years, so hopefully I will
still get some great replies!

I have the need to replace my current subwoofer for something better. I
have been using a Dynaudio 12" sub for the last couple years, and
although it blends nicely with my other dynaudio speakers, it just
doesn't have the low end grunt I'm looking for. I do not want a
bass-head subwoofer. I've tried the JL12w7 and it was all "thud-thud."
I need something musical, and the sub that comes closest in my
experience has been the JL 12w4 - I really liked that sub. I've also
tried a RF 12", JL10 10", Mbquart 12" (the high end one) with limited
success.

I'm really looking for a subwoofer that may sacrific some output for
SQ. Anyhting I decide to change to will have more output I'd bet! I'm
using a JL 500.1 (D class, 500x1) so power shouldnt be a problem
whatever I decide to use.

A local store sells Eclipse. What do you all think of the SW7124DVC-T2
or SW9122? Both are roughly in my price range. I'd like to spend less
than $350 for a single 12". I haven't had a chance to hear these subs
yet.

I should also mention that this is going in an 1.9 cuft aluminum
enclosure (yes, aluminum, here is a pictu
www.albany.net/~doug/z06temp/1.jpg
...and here are the dimensions of the box (I may have a mounting depth
issue, but I can resolve that if the right sub is found):
www.albany.net/~doug/z06temp/Z06Subbox.jpg

Thanks for any replies.

spammy

I forgot to mention that the sub cutout is placed on the 16.5" side (as
shown he www.albany.net/~doug/z06temp/Z06Subbox.jpg), so I have
about 6-7" of depth available. The sub cutout hole is just over 10" in
diameter. The current Dynaudio MW190 is only 3.5" deep. Specs to the
Dynaudio sub are he
http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/car/driver.htm

Chad Wahls

"spammy" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

What vehicle will this go into? Cabin volume (size) makes a difference.
Have you tried the new 12W4? If sheer SPL is not your cup of tea then look
into some high end home intended drivers. Some googling would get you into
a dual 8 ohm sub that may work for you. post back your findings as I am
starting a new project soon and am also looking for SQ

Chad

Tony F

Well, I was GOING to tell you that instead of concentrating on a specific
brand of subwoofer, you should be looking at the installation. That was
until you said you were stuck using a specific box. But I'll say it anyway!

From what you described, I would without hesitation suggest using an
aperiodic enclosure. It's absolutley perfect for what you were seeking: SQ
versus output. In my experience, SQ is much more dependent on the
installation, NOT the name brand.

I'm sure a bunch of people will give you some name brands they think you
might like, but I have to emphasize that for what you seem to be wanting, I
think you're looking in the wrong direction.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP (Just gettin' started)

"spammy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I forgot to mention that the sub cutout is placed on the 16.5" side (as
shown he www.albany.net/~doug/z06temp/Z06Subbox.jpg), so I have
about 6-7" of depth available. The sub cutout hole is just over 10" in
diameter. The current Dynaudio MW190 is only 3.5" deep. Specs to the
Dynaudio sub are he
http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/car/driver.htm

Chad Wahls

"spammy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I forgot to mention that the sub cutout is placed on the 16.5" side (as
shown he www.albany.net/~doug/z06temp/Z06Subbox.jpg), so I have
about 6-7" of depth available. The sub cutout hole is just over 10" in
diameter. The current Dynaudio MW190 is only 3.5" deep. Specs to the
Dynaudio sub are he
http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/car/driver.htm

A driver with a lower FS? Have you tried different crossover and EQ
configurations? I looks like a tough problem to solve as the enclosure
appears to be built for specific positioning so driver orentation is cut and
dried. The Dynaudio driver looks like it would work well from the specs.

Chad

spammy

Thanks for the suggestion about placement/installation - I totally
agree. Before I built the box I played around with a prefab box and
orientation, and found the one that I settled on to be the best.

Chad, the Dynaudio is a really great driver, but to get the output I
want I'd have to get two of them, and in that case we are talking about
a 4cuft box if I go with a standard sealed, and thats just too big.

The car is a C5 vette. I chose a 12" subwoofer because I really prefer
them to 10". This has been my experience after owning several of both
sizes, and although there are always exceptions to the rule (hell I've
heard 8"s that out power 12"s), I feel a 12" better fits me because I
always drive with the windows open (which throws off the cabin volume
equation) and I just think a 12" has an _easier_ time hitting those
lowest of frequencies - this is partly physics, remember?! I typically
cross the sub out around 80-100hz because the dynaudio mids are so
capable down low. I guess I just like 12"s. I also have this enclosure
already made and it took a significant amount of work to make it, so
I'm going to use what I got!

So this is why I was inquiring strictly about subwoofers. I have been
out of the loop for a few years, so I thought I'd ask what subs are out
there that I should look at. I'm in an isolated areas for car stereo,
so my selection is limited. I can get the Eclipse subs, are they decent
(specificlaly the aluminum cone: SW7124DVC-T)?

I have a follow up question as well. The SW7124DVC-T comes in two
varieties - dual 2 and 4 ohm. I was thinking of a DVC 4 ohm to present
the amp with a 2 ohm load (it is 1 ohm stable), but is there a
quality/distortion sacrifice? Whats the good word on this argument
these days? Should I go dual 2 ohm and present a 4 ohm load for a more
"proper" load on the amp if quality, not absolute output, is my goal?