Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default A challenge to the Dutch

On Oct 28, 2:48 pm, Sander deWaal wrote:
Andre Jute said:

But all right, Mijnheer van Gennip, you want to be a slim jannie --and
in English too! So show us how you would design an amplfier either
Class A or with substantial Class A output (i.e. Class AB) in which
"the output device(s)never cease conducting under any signal
condition". Note the important qualification "under any signal
condition". That means exactly what it says in plain English: you
design the amplifier, I choose the signal level to be vastly larger
than the specified bias, then you prove it still operates in Class A.

May you have Pinkerton's Luck. By all means call on the Three Stooges
for help.

I'm just a simple Dutch techie, but this schematic does things fairly
well.

I'll leave it up to you educated guys to determine whether this is
class A, AB or class T(rash).
Ra-a = 7 kohm. Vb = 440V.

Raw schematic:http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1751/wkschemod0.jpg

Prototype (slightly modified, double PS tranny, some changes in
component values, softstart added) :http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/3475/wkmz5.jpg

Production version, fresh from China (note the different phase
splitter and driver tubes) :http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/755/yarlandwkau6.jpg

On demo with some DIY friends:http://members.home.nl/m.pekel/Beets...g/PA130754.JPG

--

- Maggies are an addiction for life. -

Will you hate me, Sander, for saying,
`I love the driftwood
On the Chinese kay tee eightee eight,
so much better than the poli-ali
of the prototype!'

Is that an amp you designed for Chinese manufacture and local sale?
Who sells it and how much?

(And how do I get an appointment with hairdresser of the guy with the
blond streak in his hair...)

Okay, now for the tough question:

Is this circuit an entry into the challenge to show design that has
Class A output "under any signal condition"? In other words a design
that can in no way be driven to cutoff?

Or are you just throwing it in to lighten up the atmosphere?

Welcome back.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default Poopie's zero Credibility Quotient, was Eeyore's tube projects/knowledge

On Oct 28, 10:52 pm, Eeyore
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
John Byrns wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
John Byrns wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Guys, please. ALL of you keep this trash out of rec.audio.pro. None of
it belongs here. You are ALL perpetuating this mindless thread.
--scott

Scott, the problem is that Graham Stevenson, a.k.a. "Eeyore" doesn't
belong in rec.audio.tubes

I belong there every bit as much as you do you slimy toad.

Looks like I know more about tubes than you do for sure.

That may very well be true, but so far you haven't shown us any evidence
to suggest that it is actually true. Why don't you start by describing
some of your tube projects, then we can better judge. Don't hold back,
your descriptions don't have to be up to Patrick's high standards.

Even if you do know more about tubes than I do, that doesn't foreclose
the possibility that there are a few things I know about tubes that you
don't, which would seem to be the relevant issue here.

Here's an examplehttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=17015752379...

All right, Poopie, it's a guitar amp.

So, what does either a guitar amp or you have to do with high fidelity
sound reproduction?

Or are we supposed once more to read something between the lines of
your obscure low-rent soundbites?

High fidelity is not in any of the the group names, even the irrelevant one (and one you were
asked not to post to ) that you ADDED.

Are you illiterate as well as stupid, Poopie? John Byrns published the
by-laws precisely for your edification. They include high fidelity
applications, tube radios, even guitar amps.

The rest of this crap is only your crudely uninformed opinion, which
on civilized newsgroups has zero Credibility Quotient.

Anyway, I'm bored with you wriggling like demented worm on a hook.

Flick.

Unsigned out of contempt

If you want hi-fi, the last thing you want are TOOBS. TOOBS have poor linearity and any attempt
to make a hi-fi amp with them is a struggle with their many limitations.

Tubes are a near irrelevance to accurate sound reproduction.

However tubes do distort the sound in an 'artistic' way which makes them very suitable for
instrument amplification and 'sound efffects'.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 28 Oct, 20:24, Andre Jute wrote:

(And how do I get an appointment with hairdresser of the guy with the
blond streak in his hair...)

maybe that is Mr De Waal!!!
which one is Sander?

whatever, these guys need to take better care of their disks.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default Eeyore's tube projects/knowledge

On Oct 28, 11:31 pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article om,
Andre Jute wrote:

On Oct 28, 8:18 pm, Eeyore
wrote:
John Byrns wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
John Byrns wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

[...]

I don't know about Eeyore's "low-rent soundbites" beyond the fact that
they are annoying, but the rec.audio.tbues charter, which I posted a
couple of days ago, includes guitar amps, as well as high fidelity
amplifiers, and even radios which some one was complaining about, which
was the reason I posted the charter. So cut Eeyore some slack on the
guitar amp bit, but keep "helping" him change his habit of using those
irritating "low-rent soundbites".

Regards,

John Byrns

I have no problem with guitar amps. One of the first amps I ever built
from scratch was a guitar amp out of Aspen Pitman's book -- I chose it
because I had a few of the right tubes in a stash an old ham gave me,
and a chassis out of a wrecked radio a local collector gave me because
it had the right sockets and holes on it. It had a delicious sound. I
sold it for 600 Irish pounds, about a thousand dollars, to a local
audiophile who fell in love with its sound -- and hardly a month goes
by that I don't think of it and regret selling that crude little amp.

My question was about whether Poopie Stevenson has any connection to
high fidelity. He has since admitted he has no interest in high
fidelity. Which is what we knew already.

I suppose Poopie might be on RAT for the "toobed" guitar amps, but
apparently he hates tubes too.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Laurence Payne" NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com wrote in message
Are we anti-gay here? I mean, obviously the Australians will be.

And why would any sane person say that?

But the rest of us, with non-criminal ancestries?

Are just bigots?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Phread Phread is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message ...

Andre Jute wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Byrns wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
John Byrns wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

[...]

That would be why many if not most of the world's most desired microphones use them, right?

You appear to be in competition with Andre for the horse's ass award, spewing horse****
like that.

However tubes do distort the sound in an 'artistic' way which makes them very suitable for
instrument amplification and 'sound efffects'.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

Phread wrote:

Tubes are a near irrelevance to accurate sound reproduction.

That would be why many if not most of the world's most desired
microphones use them, right?

You misrepresent the facts of the actual market. A few vintage microphones
use them and are in high regard for all kinds of reasons, including the
roll-off caused by their transformers and the specific way their capsules
have decayed. Those are the "worlds most desired" ones and there are also a
few small capsule mics that are in very high regard.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Phread" wrote in message
Tubes are a near irrelevance to accurate sound reproduction.

That would be why many if not most of the world's most desired microphones

use them, right?

Exactly!
"Accurate" sound reproduction of many vocalists is the last thing they want.
Warm and fuzzy is often more desirable :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Phread Phread is offline

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message ...

"Phread" wrote in message
Tubes are a near irrelevance to accurate sound reproduction.

That would be why many if not most of the world's most desired microphones

use them, right?

Exactly!
"Accurate" sound reproduction of many vocalists is the last thing they want.
Warm and fuzzy is often more desirable :-)

MrT.

Go tell that to the people on RAP who use these mics every day, MrT.

Naw, ferget it, I'm not going to send you on a suicide mission.

Fred

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:24:03 +1100, "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:

Are we anti-gay here? I mean, obviously the Australians will be.

And why would any sane person say that?

But the rest of us, with non-criminal ancestries?

Are just bigots?

Is your irony detector broken?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 19:11:30 -0700, "Phread"
wrote:

Tubes are a near irrelevance to accurate sound reproduction.

That would be why many if not most of the world's most desired microphones use them, right?

Not the ones that strive for accuracy.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 01:33:56 -0700, "Phread"
wrote:

"Accurate" sound reproduction of many vocalists is the last thing they want.
Warm and fuzzy is often more desirable :-)

MrT.

Go tell that to the people on RAP who use these mics every day, MrT.

They'll agree, though they might baulk at "fuzzy".
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Laurence Payne" NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com wrote in message
Are we anti-gay here? I mean, obviously the Australians will be.

And why would any sane person say that?

But the rest of us, with non-criminal ancestries?

Are just bigots?

Is your irony detector broken?

Not at all. Is yours?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Laurence Payne" NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com wrote in message
"Accurate" sound reproduction of many vocalists is the last thing they

want.
Warm and fuzzy is often more desirable :-)

Go tell that to the people on RAP who use these mics every day, MrT.

They'll agree, though they might baulk at "fuzzy".

Hence the smiley!
But any good sound engineer sure knows you don't use them to "improve
accuracy".

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

"Phread" wrote in message
Tubes are a near irrelevance to accurate sound reproduction.

That would be why many if not most of the world's most desired
microphones

use them, right?

Exactly!
"Accurate" sound reproduction of many vocalists is the last thing they
want.
Warm and fuzzy is often more desirable :-)

MrT.

The Neumann M47, M49 and M50 tube mics are still used by major
classical recording companies. Many of those that were converted to
FET in the 1970s have been converted back again.

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

Donkey: Are we there yet?

How difficult can it be removing a couple NG's?
It's getting quite annoying having this thread popping up in here..

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.

Q: Exactly what is it you think tubes do?
A: Chances are the tone from the SVT was pretty much like the tone
on the recording ... just a bit louder
-- Don Evans on alt.guitar.amps

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
ti.fi...
The Neumann M47, M49 and M50 tube mics are still used by major
classical recording companies. Many of those that were converted to
FET in the 1970s have been converted back again.

But I can't think of one measurement mic that uses tubes.
Have you ever considered accuracy is not always what the sound engineer is
after?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
ti.fi...

The Neumann M47, M49 and M50 tube mics are still used by major
classical recording companies. Many of those that were converted to
FET in the 1970s have been converted back again.

But I can't think of one measurement mic that uses tubes.
Have you ever considered accuracy is not always what the sound engineer is
after?

The difference is that we are not *measuring* anything but (to quote
Otto Klemperer) "capturing music as a 3D illusion"

In addition, we do not do this in an anechoic chamber.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Phread" wrote in message
Tubes are a near irrelevance to accurate sound reproduction.

That would be why many if not most of the world's most desired
microphones

use them, right?

Exactly!
"Accurate" sound reproduction of many vocalists is the last thing they
want.
Warm and fuzzy is often more desirable :-)

MrT.

The Neumann M47, M49 and M50 tube mics are still used by major
classical recording companies.

As EFX devices.

Many of those that were converted to
FET in the 1970s have been converted back again.

Something about fashion over performance.