Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default What is an "engineer" (was Why are "engineers" so poorly educated?)

=On Oct 26, 6:58 am, John Byrns wrote:
In article .com,
Andre Jute wrote:

You really have to wonder.

Here we have three self-proclaimed engineers claiming that Class A is
an amplification Class in which "the output device(s)never cease
conducting under any signal condition."

The three "engineers" in question are Graham "Poopie" Stevenson, Don
"Bluster" Pearce and Arny "I spoke in error" Krueger. Apparently they
are perfectly unable to understand, after they have been told so a
handful of times already, that "any signal condition" includes
overdrive which turns even the correct part of the definition into
absurd nonsense.

This raises the question of what is an engineer? The following are a
few of the many definitions I have heard.

1. The person responsible for the operation and maintenance of a
buildings infrastructure.

2. The person who drives a Train.

3. A person who has received an "engineering" degree from a University.

4. A person licensed to practice "engineering", similar to the way
Doctors and Lawyers are licensed.

Regards,

John Byrns

Hell, the guy who carries away my trash is a "garbage disposal
engineer", presumably because he works on a big dumpster -- see Serge
Auckland's funny-sad post.

If engineers are supposed to exhibit ingenuity, as Serge so plausibly
says, then I would pick several present and past RAT contributors
known not to have engineering degrees as fitting to be called
engineers long, long before I would pick Arny Krueger or Don Pearce,
who strike me as exceedingly dull fellows, paragons of pedanticism
without a spark of invention, and I would *never* pick Graham Poopie
Stevenson if someone (himself!) didn't tell me that Poopie claims to
be an engineer.

Of course there are some members of these conferences with engineering
degrees that one would instantly pick; I apologize to them for the
offence of including binmen in their noble calling.

Andre Jute
Impedance is futile, you will be simulated into the triode of the
Borg. -- Robert Casey

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_11_] Deputy Dumbya Dawg[_11_] is offline

This raises the question of what is an engineer? The
following are a
few of the many definitions I have heard.

1. The person responsible for the operation and maintenance
of a
buildings infrastructure.

2. The person who drives a Train.

3. A person who has received an "engineering" degree from a
University.

4. A person licensed to practice "engineering", similar to
the way
Doctors and Lawyers are licensed.

Regards,

John Byrns

To advertise engineering services in any of the 50 united
states takes #4 above. Registration with the professional
engineering board of the state you offer service in. It is a
crime to offer services or practice electrical engineering
without a the license.

I am a registered professional electrical engineer in
California.

peace
dawg

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Andy Evans Andy Evans is offline

On Oct 26, 3:48?pm, "Deputy Dumbya Dawg"
wrote:
[...]

dawg- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

ups.com...
wrote:
This raises the question of what is an engineer? The
following are a
few of the many definitions I have heard.

1. The person responsible for the operation and maintenance
of a
buildings infrastructure.

2. The person who drives a Train.

3. A person who has received an "engineering" degree from a
University.

4. A person licensed to practice "engineering", similar to
the way
Doctors and Lawyers are licensed.

To advertise engineering services in any of the 50 united
states takes #4 above. Registration with the professional
engineering board of the state you offer service in. It is a
crime to offer services or practice electrical engineering
without a the license.

Does not apply to all types of qualified engineers though. Mostly just
electrical and mechanical IME.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:

ups.com...
wrote:
[...]

I would think Civil engineers too, although we obviously don't have many
of those in this group.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 28 Oct, 22:07, John Byrns wrote:
In article ,

oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

i am not an engineer, but i retired from a civil engineering office.
the requirement is more for signing, sealing and certifying plans.

btw, my job was real estate acquisitions.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Oct 28, 10:38 pm, Clyde Slick wrote:

i am not an engineer, but i retired from a civil engineering office.
the requirement is more for signing, sealing and certifying plans.

btw, my job was real estate acquisitions.

One may purchase an engineer for a fairly reasonable hourly rate. You
may not like what they do for you as most (good) engineers tend to be
moderately conservative and want their designs to be moderately
enduring, so most (again, good) engineers tend not to like poor, fast,
quick or dirty solutions. I often explain to the people I work with
that whereas I am emphatically not an engineer, I do recognized when
there is the need for one. Similarly, when other design professionals
are required such as Architects.

At this time, our company has two engineers best described as 'on
call', both have been around since more-or-less the beginning of time
- one of them was my structures professor in grad-school, the other
mentored him in his early years of practice. It is quite an experience
to listen to these two guys when they get started. And both of them
will be down in a hole or up a ladder faster than most people a third
of their ages.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion

On 29 Oct, 07:49, Peter Wieck wrote:

At this time, our company has two engineers best described as 'on
call', both have been around since more-or-less the beginning of time

.. And both of them
will be down in a hole

faster than most people a third
of their ages.

No doubt!!!!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion
David Grant David Grant is offline

One may purchase an engineer for a fairly reasonable hourly rate. You
may not like what they do for you as most (good) engineers tend to be
moderately conservative and want their designs to be moderately
enduring, so most (again, good) engineers tend not to like poor, fast,
quick or dirty solutions.

In my experience, engineers have a completely different mentality / way of
approaching design. One of the byproducts of this mentality is the
conservative nature that you mention, but that is not as big a difference as
the thought process an engineer takes to arrive at his design. It's
difficult to explain however. I can refer to "an engineering mind", and any
of my engineer friends know exactly what I mean, whereas those who are not
engineers tend to scratch their heads.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,aus.sport.cricket
[email protected] audioaesthetic@gmail.com is offline

On Oct 30, 3:40 am, "Sylvan Morein, DDS" wrote:
wrote in message
To me, a Sound Engineer is completely different from an Audio Engineer or an
Electrical or Mechanical Engineer for example. One requires rigorous
education, big bucks for tuition and hard work, and the other title does
not. I have met a few Sound Engineers however, who are not only very
talented with live and recorded sound, but are just as intelligent as any
degreed engineer.

You've identified another symptom of son Robert Morein's deep psychosis.
When he's off his meds, one of his psychotic symptoms is the emergence of an
OCD-type disorder. While stepping up his medication occasionally allows him
to leave the house (stressed), things like a fingerprint on a microphone
drive him absolutely nuts.

My wife Jane Morein and I were always hoping that as Robert got older the
major portion of his mental illness would moderate itself, as it often does
as part of the aging process. However now in his mid-50s, his illness does
not seem to be in any way less persistent than when he was in his 20s.
It is to our profound shame that we never committed Robert Morein to
longterm mental health care when we had the opportunity. It is our fervent
hope that, with the help of new and more potent anti-psychotic medications,
we can keep him stable enough so that he does no further harm to himself or
compete strangers.

Dr. Sylvan Morein, DDS

where either or both of you part of the CIA's experiments with
hallucinogens??

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,aus.sport.cricket
Fernando Fernando is offline

please, avoid using this forum for that kind of posts, thank you.