Dylan X

Default Overheating Head Unit

My head unit has been running very hot even at lower volume levels. I
have it grounded to the factory ground wire. I also believe that the
preouts have been affected by the heat, as they no longer appear to
send a signal to my sub amp. The signal had gone out once or twice
before, but had returned for no apparent reason. I was wondering how
to best avoid overheating of the headunit when I replace this one.
Should I add heatsinks to the back of the unit? Should I add a larger
ground wire and ground it to a point on the chassis close to the
mounting location of the unit? As far as I can tell, this is not a
wiring problem. Also, I'd like some opinions on a new head unit. I've
been looking at an Alpine CDA-9830, it has everything I need in a unit
and I can get it locally for $300. I've always owned Pioneer Premier
units but I want to try Alpine because everyone I talk to says that
they are quality decks that are really clear and clean. How do you
guys feel about Alpine decks? Any other recommendations? I've been
hearing that Clarion makes some good decks now too, which is really
funny to me because I can remember when I was a kid, Clarion ranked
right up there with Kraco and Roadmaster. Anyway, any advice you can
give would be greatly appreciated.
FHLH002

not sure about the 04 983X alpines.... but I do know that the Alpine 981X's
get plenty hot..... my 9813 has never shut down.... but damn.... I'll see
how it heats up once I start using the PREAMP outs only...

FHLH..... fuggers have a fan because it gets sooo hot in hear...... so take
off all your clothes

"Dylan X" wrote in message
om...
[...]

FasDeth

"FHLH002" wrote ,
I'll see how it heats up once I start using the PREAMP outs only...

Why is this? I would think using the internal amp would make more heat than
the preout circut. I noticed mine gets 'warm' and I have no internal
power/preout only.

FD

FHLH002

darn... was hoping it would run cooler once I went to preamp only mode.

have you turned off the internal amp on your?

FHLH

"FasDeth" FasDeth.removeme@coxdotnet wrote in message

"FHLH002" wrote ,
I'll see how it heats up once I start using the PREAMP outs only...

Why is this? I would think using the internal amp would make more heat

than
the preout circut. I noticed mine gets 'warm' and I have no internal
power/preout only.

FD

Les

"FHLH002" wrote in message
darn... was hoping it would run cooler once I went to preamp only mode.

have you turned off the internal amp on your?

FHLH

Whether or not there is a load connected the amplifier will still be on,
unless you can actually turn it off, and therefore will get warm. But it
should run cooler than before. I've got a couple of dozen Crest pro amps
that run remarkably warm when they are just in idle.

Les

Chad Wahls

"Les" wrote in message

"FHLH002" wrote in message
darn... was hoping it would run cooler once I went to preamp only mode.

have you turned off the internal amp on your?

FHLH

Whether or not there is a load connected the amplifier will still be on,
unless you can actually turn it off, and therefore will get warm. But it
should run cooler than before. I've got a couple of dozen Crest pro amps
that run remarkably warm when they are just in idle.

Les

You can cook with a Electorvoice P3000 at idle My alpine head runs quite
warm using only the preamp outputs also, it's over 5 yrs old and it has
never gone into protection.

Chad

Les

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message

"Les" wrote in message

"FHLH002" wrote in message
darn... was hoping it would run cooler once I went to preamp only

mode.

have you turned off the internal amp on your?

FHLH

Whether or not there is a load connected the amplifier will still be on,
unless you can actually turn it off, and therefore will get warm. But it
should run cooler than before. I've got a couple of dozen Crest pro amps
that run remarkably warm when they are just in idle.

Les

You can cook with a Electorvoice P3000 at idle My alpine head runs

quite
warm using only the preamp outputs also, it's over 5 yrs old and it has
never gone into protection.

Chad

=

It's just about that way with these Crest amps too. Luckily we are an indoor
venue and the system doesnt have to work outside any, I am not sure if they
could keep themselves cool enough.

Les

Chad Wahls

"Les" wrote in message

It's just about that way with these Crest amps too. Luckily we are an

indoor
venue and the system doesnt have to work outside any, I am not sure if

they
could keep themselves cool enough.

Les

Which model? The old iron 001 and 002 series run pretty cool. Haven't
played with the new switchers. My FA's run pretty cool also, and I stomp
the hell out of those I think the p3000 is still the hottest at idle I
have seen with the exception of my class A tube amp They make me quite
nervous, but never have shut down on me and I have used them a bunch around
here, in the sun, at 2 ohms. Yuck.

Chad

Les

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message

"Les" wrote in message

It's just about that way with these Crest amps too. Luckily we are an

indoor
venue and the system doesnt have to work outside any, I am not sure if

they
could keep themselves cool enough.

Les

Which model? The old iron 001 and 002 series run pretty cool. Haven't
played with the new switchers. My FA's run pretty cool also, and I stomp
the hell out of those I think the p3000 is still the hottest at idle I
have seen with the exception of my class A tube amp They make me quite
nervous, but never have shut down on me and I have used them a bunch

around
here, in the sun, at 2 ohms. Yuck.

Chad

At work we have quite a few Crest CA series, from the CA2 - CA12. Luckily in
the main hall we moved over to Meyer so they are all self powered, but our
smaller rooms and mixes 5-16 in monitor world are all Crest. This venue was
my first major experience with the CA series and it really turned me off of
Crest for a while. For their weight and consumption you just don't seem to
get alot out of them. Keep trying to replace them with Crowns new I-tech
line Doubt that will happen anytime soon though.

Les