analyst

Default The McCormack UDP-1 Universal Disc

Player New in the August Issue of On Sound and Music, the latest take on a
Universal Player that just may be the best Single Box All Format Player
today, the McCormack UDP-1.

Take a look at http://www.onsoundandmusic.com/issue...408-UDP-1.html.

Much more at On Sound and Music, mixing the best of the High End with the
Best of Pro Sound http://www.onsoundandmusic.com.

Laurence Payne

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:23:10 -0500, analyst
wrote:

Player New in the August Issue of On Sound and Music, the latest take on a
Universal Player that just may be the best Single Box All Format Player
today, the McCormack UDP-1.

Take a look at http://www.onsoundandmusic.com/issue...408-UDP-1.html.

If only to revel in a page of unfocussed, wooly-thinking audiophile
blather :-)
Arny Krueger

"Laurence Payne" wrote in
message
wrote:

Player New in the August Issue of On Sound and Music, the latest
take on a Universal Player that just may be the best Single Box All
Format Player today, the McCormack UDP-1.

Take a look at
http://www.onsoundandmusic.com/issue...408-UDP-1.html.

If only to revel in a page of unfocussed, wooly-thinking audiophile
blather :-)

Take a look at the picture of the interior of the this *amazing* DVD player
(Figure 3).

What I see is the transport and major circuit cards of a commodity player
(center, lower right), back-ended by MacCormack's *SOTA contributions*.
Those appear to be a power supply board and output buffer board, both
stylishly decorated with large film capacitors. Ironically, a switchmode
power supply, probably belonging to the origional commodity player appears
to be standing up vertically, between the two MacCormack-sourced boards.

Perhaps someone who services a variety of mainstream DVD players could ID
the actual source of the majority of the guts of this device. They could be
from an APEX, for all I know... or maybe the Pioneer universal DVD player
that sells for under $200.

This could be one way to beat the high development costs usually associated
with building a DVD player - scrap out a good mainstream box, and repackage
the guts with some snake-oil wrapped around it, so that high end reviewers
can feel comfortable with it. Oh, and jack up the price by a factor of say,
50?

Mark D. Zacharias

Does look like a Pioneer player mech, but the picture isn't quite good
enough to be sure.

Mark Z.

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Laurence Payne" wrote in
message
wrote:

[...]

Arny Krueger

wrote:

[...]

Over in RAP, somone told an anecdote about a line of Meridian CD players
that were the guts of Phillips players, similarly repackaged, but with a few
chips changed.

Apparently this sort of thing has been very common in the high end, and for
some time.

Laurence Payne

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 22:15:51 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Apparently this sort of thing has been very common in the high end, and for
some time.

Have the audiophiles discovered room treatment yet? The topic has
certainly leapt to the forefront in the home-studio world.

Was it about 1999 we all discovered affordable large-diaphragm
microphones? Then it was esoteric pre-amps. This year is definitely
room treatments. What's next? We haven't done magic cables yet.

Wouldn't it be nice if it was minimalist recording techniques in real
stereo? Nah! Not enough new gear to buy :-)
Mark D. Zacharias

wrote:

Apparently this sort of thing has been very common in the high end, and

for
some time.

Have the audiophiles discovered room treatment yet? The topic has
certainly leapt to the forefront in the home-studio world.

Was it about 1999 we all discovered affordable large-diaphragm
microphones? Then it was esoteric pre-amps. This year is definitely
room treatments. What's next? We haven't done magic cables yet.

Wouldn't it be nice if it was minimalist recording techniques in real
stereo? Nah! Not enough new gear to buy :-)

I can imagine certain room treatments could be quite helpful. Depends on the
room and all the usual factors.

I'm not an audiophile - my hearing isn't good enough for one thing - but
even I can tell differences in room qualities.

Mark Z.

Laurence Payne

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 05:45:29 -0500, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice if it was minimalist recording techniques in real
stereo? Nah! Not enough new gear to buy :-)

I can imagine certain room treatments could be quite helpful. Depends on the
room and all the usual factors.

I'm not an audiophile - my hearing isn't good enough for one thing - but
even I can tell differences in room qualities.

From my limited travels in audiophile-land, I suspect that they're
often equally interested in what it looks like as what it sounds like.

Universal Disc Player Peter General 2 May 21st 04 06:07 AM
Universal Disc Player Peter Tech 0 May 21st 04 03:32 AM