Anders J

Default USB digital transfer sample rate question

Hi experts,
When I record my dat tapes via Datport (or Extigy) USB (I use XP), I
can choose sampling rate in the sound program (SoundForge) -
regardless the sampling rate of the source. E.g. if I transfer a 48
kHz recording I can set the rate at 48 or 44,1 in the audio program.
What is best practice - the resample down to 44,1 when recording - or
to transfer to the HD at the same sampling rate - and then resample in
the sound program afterwards??? I am anxious to try to transfer the
digital info from my source as accurate as possible - speed is not my
priority. Just being confused about what is real digital transfer or not....

thanks for your help!

Anders
Ian

"Anders J" wrote in message
om...
Hi experts,
When I record my dat tapes via Datport (or Extigy) USB (I use XP), I
can choose sampling rate in the sound program (SoundForge) -
regardless the sampling rate of the source. E.g. if I transfer a 48
kHz recording I can set the rate at 48 or 44,1 in the audio program.
What is best practice - the resample down to 44,1 when recording - or
to transfer to the HD at the same sampling rate - and then resample in
the sound program afterwards??? I am anxious to try to transfer the
digital info from my source as accurate as possible - speed is not my
priority. Just being confused about what is real digital transfer or

not....

thanks for your help!

Anders

Use the native 48kHz from the DAT. USB rates are not relevant.

Once you have the data on the hard drive you can convert to a higher
bit depth (eg 32-bit instead of 16-bit) before doing the sample rate
conversion, which will minimise any artifacts.

Regards
Ian

Geoff Wood

"Ian" wrote in message

Once you have the data on the hard drive you can convert to a higher
bit depth (eg 32-bit instead of 16-bit) before doing the sample rate
conversion, which will minimise any artifacts.

Any competent application will inherently be using a higher bit depth data
area for the conversion. Changing the bit depth "to minimise artifacts" is
totally unnecessary.

Yes - best to xfer at the original rate and do any subsequent conversions
deliberately.

geoff