Posted to rec.audio.car
the_lower_class_brat the_lower_class_brat is offline

Default amplifier on stock head unit better sound?

I have a spare amp and was wondering if I used the high line in from
the speakers in my car and send them more power with the amp, would it
give me a better sound on the stock head unit? The amp is a pioneer,
so quality is mediocre. I know the speaker wont be able to handle the
more power very well but the 2 front ones are 5 14" clarions, which
require more juice.
Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , the_lower_class_brat wrote:
I have a spare amp and was wondering if I used the high line in from
the speakers in my car and send them more power with the amp, would it
give me a better sound on the stock head unit? The amp is a pioneer,
so quality is mediocre. I know the speaker wont be able to handle the
more power very well but the 2 front ones are 5 14" clarions, which
require more juice.

Your not going to get better sound. You can get louder sound.
It may sound better if your near clipping on the straight head unit, because you will have
more head room, assuming the power amp puts out more power than the head unit.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car

On Jan 11, 11:46 am, (GregS) wrote:
In article , the_lower_class_brat wrote:

I have a spare amp and was wondering if I used the high line in from
the speakers in my car and send them more power with the amp, would it
give me a better sound on the stock head unit? The amp is a pioneer,
so quality is mediocre. I know the speaker wont be able to handle the
more power very well but the 2 front ones are 5 14" clarions, which
require more juice.

Your not going to get better sound. You can get louder sound.
It may sound better if your near clipping on the straight head unit, because you will have
more head room, assuming the power amp puts out more power than the head unit.

greg

Okay, I would of thought the amp would of cleaned the power going to
the speakers, but I guess not
Posted to rec.audio.car
Christopher \Torroid\ Ott Christopher \Torroid\ Ott is offline

"the_lower_class_brat" wrote in message
On Jan 11, 11:46 am, (GregS) wrote:
In article
,
the_lower_class_brat wrote:

I have a spare amp and was wondering if I used the high line in from
the speakers in my car and send them more power with the amp, would it
give me a better sound on the stock head unit? The amp is a pioneer,
so quality is mediocre. I know the speaker wont be able to handle the
more power very well but the 2 front ones are 5 14" clarions, which
require more juice.

Your not going to get better sound. You can get louder sound.
It may sound better if your near clipping on the straight head unit,
because you will have
more head room, assuming the power amp puts out more power than the head
unit.

greg

Okay, I would of thought the amp would of cleaned the power going to
the speakers, but I guess not

Just so I read your question correctly, you are wondering if you can run the
high level output from your head unit into your amp and use the amp to power
the speakers? And if this will improve the sound?

I would tend to think that it wouldn't hurt the sound quality. Whether it
will help depends on what kind of power the HU is putting out, and if the
amp can do better. Without an amp the signal to the speakers will almost
certainly be clipping past moderate volumes. The amp would let you use the
gains (assuming it has gain controls) to help prevent this.

Chris

Posted to rec.audio.car
mfreak mfreak is offline

On Jan 11, 10:14*am, the_lower_class_brat
wrote:
I have a spare amp and was wondering if I used the high line in from
the speakers in my car and send them more power with the amp, would it
give me a better sound on the stock head unit? The amp is a pioneer,
so quality is mediocre. I know the speaker wont be able to handle the
more power very well but the 2 front ones are 5 14" clarions, which
require more juice.

I think in general, an external amp wil ALWAYS sound better than the
head unit.. Head units SAY they do 48x4 or whatever, but that's like
pyramid 'watts'.. I think the true rms of any HU won't be more than
15 per channel or so max. Any amp can beat that. Think of how tiny
the amp must be to fit inside that DIN shell, along with a power
supply, tuner/interface related circuit boards, cd player mechanics,
etc.. No external amp is that small.

You can use the HU, crank the volume to 11 and send 15 watts of
clipped distorted **** signal to your speakers, or you can turn it
down a little, send a clean signal to your amp, and let the amp send a
much stronger clean signal to your speakers. I think a little 4x40
amp will sound better than a 4x40 HU under any circumstances. I had a
little 25x2 ppi amp on my fronts for a while, and it blew away the
48x4 my hu supposedly put out. If I was you, I'd amp up your fronts,
and if the amp is 4 channels, amp up the rears too.

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , mfreak wrote:
On Jan 11, 10:14=A0am, the_lower_class_brat
wrote:
I have a spare amp and was wondering if I used the high line in from
the speakers in my car and send them more power with the amp, would it
give me a better sound on the stock head unit? The amp is a pioneer,
so quality is mediocre. I know the speaker wont be able to handle the
more power very well but the 2 front ones are 5 14" clarions, which
require more juice.

I think in general, an external amp wil ALWAYS sound better than the
head unit.. Head units SAY they do 48x4 or whatever, but that's like
pyramid 'watts'.. I think the true rms of any HU won't be more than
15 per channel or so max. Any amp can beat that. Think of how tiny
the amp must be to fit inside that DIN shell, along with a power
supply, tuner/interface related circuit boards, cd player mechanics,
etc.. No external amp is that small.

Most all external amps use up voltage power supplies. The HU is limited to
12-15 volts with a bridge amp inside. The amp is like a 1.25 inch plate
which is mounted to a small heat sink. There can be a stereo chip, and
that would require using two for 4 channels. 15 watts is a good figure. This
used to be called high power. Regular power was using a single amplifier
without bridging. Figure about 4 watts max. This is how it used to be
for solid state HU's without "high power". Before that tubes and transformers
could negotiate volts and watts better. Getting drive from a high level stage
invoves more distortion, but not necessarily objectionable.

greg