Posted to rec.audio.car
jhornsbee1 jhornsbee1 is offline

Default Need help installing second amp

i have just recently gotten a second 12" alpine type r and another 1800 watt
kenwood amp. I understand that i need to use a distribution block after my
capacitor to run power to the amp, but how do i run the remote wire to this
amp, is there a way to use the one running to the first amp? thanks for any
advice

Posted to rec.audio.car
DJ NoMore DJ NoMore is offline

jhornsbee1 wrote:
i have just recently gotten a second 12" alpine type r and another 1800 watt
kenwood amp. I understand that i need to use a distribution block after my
capacitor to run power to the amp, but how do i run the remote wire to this
amp, is there a way to use the one running to the first amp? thanks for any
advice

It depends on your head unit. Years ago, I had an Alpine HU
professionally installed, and the friggin remote turn on burned out from
providing turn on signal to TWO amps. After it was repaired, the shop
installed a relay to provide the turn on for both power amps, stating
that they had many problems with that particular Alpine HU which
happened to be one of the most expensive ones they had AND it was a
pre-amp only unit. When I sold my truck, I noticed that the shop's
professional installation included the use of crimp connectors and the
insulation was loose on three of them, including the remote turn on and
I think it just shorted out against something else.

Oddly enough, in my 2000 Accord, I installed two amps myself and just
jumped the remote signal from one amp to another and experienced NO
problems with the remote turn on burning out. It was a different Alpine
HU BUT it worked fine! I am also anal and solder/heat shrink all my
connections versus using crimp on connectors. It takes longer to do,
but I never experience shorting issues from the insulation coming undone.
Posted to rec.audio.car
jhornsbee1 via CarKB.com jhornsbee1 via CarKB.com is offline

So I can just run another wire from the connection on the first amp to the
connection on the second? Or do i have to split the wire in order to do it?

Posted to rec.audio.car

jhornsbee1 via CarKB.com wrote:
So I can just run another wire from the connection on the first amp to the
connection on the second? Or do i have to split the wire in order to do it?

I would just add another wire to the amp that is currently installed and
run that newly connected remote turn on to the amp that you are about to
install, assuming they are in the same location (i.e. trunk). Now if
one were under the seat and the other in the trunk I sometimes would do
things differently.

You can pretty much do it however you want, but I always try to wire it
up to make troubleshooting easier or to make my life easier depending on
what kind of mood I am in. Sadly, when I make my life easier, I usually
have to end up troubleshooting (hahahahaha).

Posted to rec.audio.car
jhornsbee1 via CarKB.com jhornsbee1 via CarKB.com is offline

Allright thanks, the second amp is up and running and the sub sounds fine...
thanks again for the help

Help installing? Sam Car Audio 5 April 5th 06 05:54 PM
Installing in-walls King General 7 March 14th 04 12:50 AM
Installing a sub Hugh Hogan Car Audio 2 January 19th 04 04:51 AM
Installing BD336 Rashaan Car Audio 0 October 30th 03 02:48 AM
Installing your own line-in? Roy Batty Car Audio 4 October 24th 03 03:33 PM