Posted to rec.audio.car
Runk Runk is offline

Default Old Guy with a Scooter

Looking for some help here, I have a Goldwing motorcycle with a Pioneer
Supper Tuner III DEH-1800 and 2 four inch speakers in the faring . The
problem is , at speed (say 50 mph on up ) In order to hear the Stereo , I
have to turn it way up to hear over wind noise . Thats when it starts so
sound terrible with Popping ,cracking and buzzing and all that good stuff.
Not knowing squat about this stuff I thought I'd come here to find out if
there's better speaker I can go to , or do I need a amp or both . Looking
for some help .... Thanks Runk......

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Runk wrote:
Looking for some help here, I have a Goldwing motorcycle with a Pioneer
Supper Tuner III DEH-1800 and 2 four inch speakers in the faring . The
problem is , at speed (say 50 mph on up ) In order to hear the Stereo , I
have to turn it way up to hear over wind noise . Thats when it starts so
sound terrible with Popping ,cracking and buzzing and all that good stuff.
Not knowing squat about this stuff I thought I'd come here to find out if
there's better speaker I can go to , or do I need a amp or both . Looking
for some help .... Thanks Runk......

You'll only get so much out of a 4" speaker to begin with, but it
wouldn't surprise me if they were failing just from weather and abuse
(how old is this setup?). You're probably looking at replacing the
speakers at least... you MIGHT benefit from adding a small amp but
again, a 4" speaker just doesn't move much air.

It's hard to tell any more than that over the 'net... it's possible
there's a wiring fault, or the amp in the deck is crapping out. Some
in-person troubleshooting is really required to track down the exact
cause of your problem.
Posted to rec.audio.car
Bugalugs Bugalugs is offline

Matt Ion wrote:
Runk wrote:
[...]

Have you considered and ipod ??

(Am I allowed to say that in here or should I go and wash my mouth out)
Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Bugalugs wrote:
Matt Ion wrote:
Runk wrote:
[...]

Sure you are... but if his amp, deck, and/or speakers are fried, an iPod
isn't really going to help anything, unless he uses it with
headphones... which is dangerous and probably illegal (it is in BC).
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I would agree with everything Matt said. You just can't expect much out of
4" speakers however there are some manufacturers like MB Quart that make
some VERY loud coaxial 4" drivers (they tend to be much more money than your
average Alpine or Sony 4" coax's). Like Matt said, a small amp (perhaps 40
watts X 2 RMS) would certainly help NO MATTER what you try. Even stock
speakers usually benefit with the addition of an aftermarket amp.

MOSFET