Len Moskowitz

Default Core Sound Announces Three New Products At AES-2005 in NYC

At the AES-2005 conference in NYC, Core Sound announced three new
products: 4Mic, HeadLine and 2Phant.

Here are some excerpts from the Press Release:

4Mic is a revolutionary, portable, handheld, battery-powered,
four-channel, 24/192 microphone pre-amp/A-D converter. It offers true
24-bit noise, distortion and crosstalk specifications. With both
coaxial and optical S/PDIF interfaces, it provides four discrete output
channels. It can also multiplex the four microphone channels into two
recorder channels, turning a two-channel 24/192 recorder into a
four-channel 24/96 recorder. It also includes a few important features
that allow it to be used for Ambisonics-type surround-sound recordings,
creating for the first time the possiblity of a handheld,
high-resolution, surround sound recording system. It is the only
handheld, battery-powered microphone pre-amp that can provide a full ten
milliamps of 48 Volt phantom power per channel, allowing it to be used
with Earthworks, Schoeps and other high current requirement microphones.

HeadLine is a handheld, portable, combined DAC and headphone amplifier,
offering both headphone and Line-level outputs. Noise is down 135 dB.
Using only the finest components and powered by two nine-Volt batteries,
it accepts digital audio data from coaxial and optical S/PDIF inputs,
analog audio from Line-level inputs, and feeds its very high quality
analog signal to headphone and Line-level outputs.

2Phant is a portable, battery-powered, two channel 48 Volt (P48V)
Phantom Power supply. Unlike almost all battery-powered phantom power
supplies, it can provide 10 milliamps of current to both microphones
simultaneously. This allows it to power Earthworks, Schoeps, Neumann,
AKG and other high current requirement microphones.

To download the complete Press Release, please follow this link:

http://www.core-sound.com/Press-Release-AES-2005.doc

Core Sound http://www.core-sound.com
Teaneck, New Jersey USA Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Jonny Durango

Len Moskowitz wrote:
2Phant is a portable, battery-powered, two channel 48 Volt (P48V)
Phantom Power supply. Unlike almost all battery-powered phantom power
supplies, it can provide 10 milliamps of current to both microphones
simultaneously. This allows it to power Earthworks, Schoeps, Neumann,
AKG and other high current requirement microphones.

Is there any reason I'd want to sell my Denecke PS2 and get this instead?

--

Jonny Durango

www.jdurango.com

"If the key of C is the people's key, what is the key of the bourgeoisie?"
Oleg Kaizerman

pictures, weight and size specifications?
thanks ,
Oleg

Len Moskowitz

Jonny Durango wrote:

Is there any reason I'd want to sell my Denecke PS2 and get this

instead?

If your mics need more current than the PS2 can provide (and there are
bunch of mics that the PS2 can't power), and you want a battery-powered
supply, then 2Phant will do the job.

Core Sound http://www.core-sound.com
Teaneck, New Jersey USA Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Len Moskowitz

In article .com,
Oleg Kaizerman wrote:
pictures, weight and size specifications?

Coming soon to our Web site.

For the 2Phant:

http://www.core-sound.com/2Phant/1.php

Core Sound http://www.core-sound.com
Teaneck, New Jersey USA Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Kurt Albershardt

Len Moskowitz wrote:
In article .com,
Oleg Kaizerman wrote:

pictures, weight and size specifications?

For the 2Phant:
http://www.core-sound.com/2Phant/1.php

Picture link is broken?
Oleg Kaizerman

Len what software would open this file
does it can combine 4 to 2 with ability send each channel individually to
each track
does the input take line level?
limiters ?
how much gain do you have
metering ?
does it work with 16.8v external power ?

the dac does it have individual channel monitoring ability , mono ,ms ,
summing the digital input to one side and analog to the other??
external powering ?
thanks

Oleg

"Chel van Gennip" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 02:59:04 +0200, Len Moskowitz wrote:

4Mic is a revolutionary, portable, handheld, battery-powered,
four-channel, 24/192 microphone pre-amp/A-D converter. It offers true
24-bit noise, distortion and crosstalk specifications. With both
coaxial and optical S/PDIF interfaces, it provides four discrete output
channels. It can also multiplex the four microphone channels into two
recorder channels, turning a two-channel 24/192 recorder into a
four-channel 24/96 recorder.

I hope to see documentation of these devices on your website soon.

I understand the 2Phant will help with possible phantom problems if you
are using a Microtrack together with some microphones.

Will the 4Mic together with the Microtrack give you a 4-channel 24/48k
recorder? (Assuming the software update that fixes the Microtrack S/PDIF
problems)

--
Chel van Gennip
Visit Serg van Gennip's site http://www.serg.vangennip.com

Jonny Durango

The PS2 doesn't provide 48V @ 10mA?

--

Jonny Durango

www.jdurango.com

"If the key of C is the people's key, what is the key of the bourgeoisie?"
Len Moskowitz

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Picture link is broken?

Sorry, we'll post one as soon as the production sheetmetal is finalized
in the next week or two.

Core Sound http://www.core-sound.com
Teaneck, New Jersey USA Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Len Moskowitz

Chel van Gennip wrote:

I understand the 2Phant will help with possible phantom problems if you
are using a Microtrack together with some microphones.

Correct, as well as helping those who need a solid phantom power supply
for the high-current requirement mics.

Will the 4Mic together with the Microtrack give you a 4-channel 24/48k
recorder? (Assuming the software update that fixes the Microtrack S/PDIF
problems)

Yes, that is what we designed it to do.

Core Sound http://www.core-sound.com
Teaneck, New Jersey USA Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Len Moskowitz

Oleg Kaizerman the same as usial wrote:

Len what software would open this file

You'd bring the file to your PC and a simple utility would break it
either into individual mono tracks or two stereo tracks.

does the input take line level?

Indeed it does. At minimum gain, 4Mic will accept over 2 Volts before
hitting 0 dBFS. That's true Line level without the need for attenuator cables.

limiters ?

Nope. With a true 24-bits of dynamic range you should never need to be
anywhere near 0 dBFS.

how much gain do you have

We'll post specs for 4Mic as soon as we return from AES

metering ?

Yes, for all four channels.

does it work with 16.8v external power ?

7 to 14 VDC. Why would you need 16.8?

the dac does it have individual channel monitoring ability , mono
,ms ,

Monitoring will allow you to choose either pair of channels. If you
need other options, now's the time to let us know.

summing the digital input to one side and analog to the other??

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Care to explain a bit?

external powering ?

Yes.

And it allows for either independent gain control for each channel or a
single control for all four channels. The latter feature is a
requirement for Ambisonics-type recording.

Core Sound http://www.core-sound.com
Teaneck, New Jersey USA Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Oleg Kaizerman

"Len Moskowitz" wrote in message
Oleg Kaizerman the same as usial wrote:

Len what software would open this file

You'd bring the file to your PC and a simple utility would break it
either into individual mono tracks or two stereo tracks.

did you check that with bwf - 744 ( as 6 channel recorder)?

what about mixing capability ,can it take each channel to individual root
or it always in pars 1=2,3=4?

does the input take line level?

Indeed it does. At minimum gain, 4Mic will accept over 2 Volts before
hitting 0 dBFS. That's true Line level without the need for attenuator
cables.

limiters ?

Nope. With a true 24-bits of dynamic range you should never need to be
anywhere near 0 dBFS.

not so true on dialog recording - even after rehearsal they do what ever
they wont:-)
doest it have hard limiters in A to D stage not to get brick wall?

how much gain do you have

We'll post specs for 4Mic as soon as we return from AES

metering ?

Yes, for all four channels.

what kind?

does it work with 16.8v external power ?

7 to 14 VDC. Why would you need 16.8?

most of us in film business working with li-ion batteries 14.4 v ( np-1 or
brick style) which comes 16.8 directly from the charger
since we are talking go light the nimh and sla are not expectable ( Len
some of us carry 12-15 kg equipment in the bag)
to put another adaptor which take efficiency to 80 % with what your internal
regulator take is to wais allot of power and additional weight ( and
additional connectors and space)

the dac does it have individual channel monitoring ability , mono
,ms ,

Monitoring will allow you to choose either pair of channels. If you
need other options, now's the time to let us know.

ms , ability to hear every channel in every configuration

mono sum , a+b on one side and c+d on other , a,b,c on one side , d on the
other for example

summing the digital input to one side and analog to the other??

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Care to explain a bit?

I understand that the dac can take 2 sources 1 DIGITAL and 1 analog to
amplify or its only take digital input - I might be wrong what did you write

external powering ?

Yes.

16.8?

And it allows for either independent gain control for each channel or a
single control for all four channels. The latter feature is a
requirement for Ambisonics-type recording.

best

--
Oleg Kaizerman (gebe) Hollyland

Core Sound http://www.core-sound.com
Teaneck, New Jersey USA Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Mike Rivers

Len Moskowitz wrote:
Will the 4Mic together with the Microtrack give you a 4-channel 24/48k
recorder? (Assuming the software update that fixes the Microtrack S/PDIF
problems)

Yes, that is what we designed it to do.

Does the MicroTrack allow 4-channel recording, using both the analog
and digital inputs? (the "fix" that they told me was in for S/PDIF was
24-bit recording) I didn't think to look for a 4-channel mode when
browsing the menus at the unit they had on display at the AES show, but
I would be surprised if it has this capability.

Oleg Kaizerman

Len , another one
the 4 - does it have phase reverse function on one of its channels?

--
Oleg Kaizerman (gebe) Hollyland

Len Moskowitz

Mike Rivers wrote:

Does the MicroTrack allow 4-channel recording, using both the analog
and digital inputs? (the "fix" that they told me was in for S/PDIF was
24-bit recording) I didn't think to look for a 4-channel mode when
browsing the menus at the unit they had on display at the AES show, but
I would be surprised if it has this capability.

MicroTrack 24/96 by itself is a two-track device. Once it has the
ability to record 24/96 via its S/PDIF input, if you connect 4Mic to its
S/PDIF input it should be able to record four tracks of 24/48.

If I read M-Audio's MicroTrack 24/96 firmware update release notes
correctly, this update only allows it to record via the S/PDIF at up to
24/48. That's better than the original 16/48, but still not what's
needed for four track recording with 4Mic.

Core Sound http://www.core-sound.com
Teaneck, New Jersey USA Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Mike Rivers

Len Moskowitz wrote:

MicroTrack 24/96 by itself is a two-track device. Once it has the
ability to record 24/96 via its S/PDIF input, if you connect 4Mic to its
S/PDIF input it should be able to record four tracks of 24/48.

Howdeydodat? Surely you can record four mics on two tracks (a single
stereo file) since that's what a mixer does, but how do you make the
recorder create two stereo files or four mono files?

Len Moskowitz

Mike Rivers wrote:

MicroTrack 24/96 by itself is a two-track device. Once it has the
ability to record 24/96 via its S/PDIF input, if you connect 4Mic to its
S/PDIF input it should be able to record four tracks of 24/48.

Howdeydodat? Surely you can record four mics on two tracks (a single
stereo file) since that's what a mixer does, but how do you make the
recorder create two stereo files or four mono files?

4Mic interleaves the four 24/48 channels into the data stream of the two
24/96 channels. A software utility on your PC will break them up into
either two stereo WAV files or four mono WAV files.

Core Sound http://www.core-sound.com
Teaneck, New Jersey USA Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Mike Rivers

Len Moskowitz wrote:

4Mic interleaves the four 24/48 channels into the data stream of the two
24/96 channels. A software utility on your PC will break them up into
either two stereo WAV files or four mono WAV files.

Clever. So it still looks like 2 channels to the recorder? Do you get
anything you can listen to directly, or do you have to first copy the
file and then split it up in to 4 tracks, then mix?

Joe Kesselman

Clever. So it still looks like 2 channels to the recorder? Do you get
anything you can listen to directly, or do you have to first copy the
file and then split it up in to 4 tracks, then mix?

I would expect the latter.

Len Moskowitz

Oleg Kaizerman the same as usial wrote:

did you check that with bwf - 744 ( as 6 channel recorder)?

No, not yet.

Thanks very much for your suggestions. We'll post specifications and
other details over the next few weeks.

Core Sound http://www.core-sound.com
Teaneck, New Jersey USA Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Len Moskowitz

Richard wrote:

Hmm. Would it be possible to make some other kind of recorder? For example,
could you make a similar front end that would write directly to a USB
drive?

Anything is possible. However, that's not the product we're offering.

Core Sound http://www.core-sound.com
Teaneck, New Jersey USA Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Richard Crowley

"Len Moskowitz" wrote ...
Richard wrote:
Hmm. Would it be possible to make some other kind of recorder? For
example,
could you make a similar front end that would write directly to a USB
drive?

Anything is possible. However, that's not the product we're offering.

I think what Richard is asking about (and I, another Richard, am also
interested in the same) is a less "fiddly" and complex device than using
a PDA, but something capable of the quality of your mic preamp/ADC
with ~inexpensive removable media. IMHO, the ideal media for a
portable recording device is a laptop hard drive (2.5 inch) They have
been developed to be relatively rugged in the field and you can't beat
the $/GB storage costs.

Len Moskowitz

Richard Crowley wrote:

I think what Richard is asking about (and I, another Richard, am also
interested in the same) is a less "fiddly" and complex device than using
a PDA, but something capable of the quality of your mic preamp/ADC
with ~inexpensive removable media. IMHO, the ideal media for a
portable recording device is a laptop hard drive (2.5 inch) They have
been developed to be relatively rugged in the field and you can't beat
the $/GB storage costs.

I understand what you're describing. We're currently discussing future
products and I'll keep this in mind.