Ally

Default Bulding a DAW.. how about these components?

Hi,
I'm building a DAW.
Are the following parts all compatible and well-suited?

motherboard:
Abit NF7
(V2.0 nForce2 Socket A 8xAGP LAN USB2 6 ch Sound DDR400 Memory)

cpu:
AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB 512 L2 Cache Barton

RAM:
256 DDR400 PC3200

Hard drives:
Seagate ST3120026A 120gb 7200rpm 8mb Cache Barracuda 7200.7 Plus - OEM

Maxtor 6Y080P0 Plus 9 80Gb 7200rpm 8mb Cache ATA133 Hard Drive - OEM

IDE cables:
Round IDE cable Ata133 x3

Finally, what wattage of PSU do I need?

Many thanks,

Ally
Ally

PS.. So now it's really down to the choice of mobo and PSU.. but still
I welcome other comments and suugestions,

Ally
Arny Krueger

"Ally" wrote in message

PS.. So now it's really down to the choice of mobo and PSU.. but still
I welcome other comments and suggestions,

Motherboard - I'm not comfortable with NForce boards for audio.

Power supply - Every time I put a watt meter on a working, fully-tricked-out
PC with all the goodies running, I find 100-150 watts being used. I build a
ton of machines with 300 watt power supplies and they all work just fine. Of
the 100s of machines I've built over the years, I think I built two with 450
watt power supplies, and that's because that's what the cases came with. One
of those two cases was the quiet Antec that has been discussed lately. The
other was a rack case.

Ally

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:14:34 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Ally" wrote in message

PS.. So now it's really down to the choice of mobo and PSU.. but still
I welcome other comments and suggestions,

Motherboard - I'm not comfortable with NForce boards for audio.

Power supply - Every time I put a watt meter on a working, fully-tricked-out
PC with all the goodies running, I find 100-150 watts being used. I build a
ton of machines with 300 watt power supplies and they all work just fine. Of
the 100s of machines I've built over the years, I think I built two with 450
watt power supplies, and that's because that's what the cases came with. One
of those two cases was the quiet Antec that has been discussed lately. The
other was a rack case.

Good day, Arnie. Thank you for that. That's good to hear.
Now all I need is to decide between the two motherboards.

Hopefully someone will help me decide soon; I want to place the order!
I don't think ther's much in it, but there's definitely going tp be
some differences. I'm leaning to the Abit AN7 rather than the Asus
A7N8X-X. It's got slightly better user ratings on the supplier's site.
(www.ebuyer.com)

Ally

Ally

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:35:11 +0200, Norbert Hahn
wrote:

DAW. Does that mean digital audio workstation?

Yup - last time I looked. :-)

Round IDE cable Ata133 x3

Most round IDE cable do not qualify for ATA-133. Flat ribbon cable
will perform better but may give some problem with air flow.

That's why I picked the ATA-133 *round* cables. What't the problem
with them?

You may think of serial ATA as lots of disks are now available.

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought about it, but couldn;t stretch to
the extra cash. Speed of disc access is not a big issue on this
machine anyway.

Finally, what wattage of PSU do I need? I'm looking at a good-value
quest case: Antec Solution Slk3700amb. It has a 350 Watt PSU. Will
that be anough for this system?

The number of watts is pretty meaningless. The PSU should be able
to deliver the required current, so it should be compliant with
the CPU you intend to use.

OK - thanks for your input..

Ally
Laurence Payne

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:26:43 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Or what have you got against SATA?

Only one device per cable, and only two cable sockets per system board.

Most onboard SATA controllers I've run into don't implement hot-swapping.

Unlike IDE? :-)

There's little if any price difference now.

The cables cost twice as much and do half as much.

I guess it depends where you get them. When I've bought a
SATA-enabled motherboard, it's arrived with a couple of cables.
(Though many boards have 4 ports). My local computer-making shop
just gets out the box of SATA cables and gives me one if I ask nicely.
(As long as I'm buying something as well :-) Are suppliers
profiteering from the "new" technology, like some still do with
Firewire cables?

Laurence Payne

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:30:03 GMT, (Ally) wrote:

I gould have spent a bit
mopre on this and a bit more on that, but I fugure I'll be content
with what I've got.

You? Never!
Arny Krueger

"Laurence Payne" wrote in
message
wrote:

Or what have you got against SATA?

Only one device per cable, and only two cable sockets per system
board.

Most onboard SATA controllers I've run into don't implement
hot-swapping.

Unlike IDE? :-)

http://www.naspa.com/PDF/2003/1103/T0311003.pdf

page 2 paragraph 2-4

There's little if any price difference now.

The cables cost twice as much and do half as much.

I guess it depends where you get them. When I've bought a
SATA-enabled motherboard, it's arrived with a couple of cables.

Sure, but you *paid* for them

(Though many boards have 4 ports).

Seems like, still haven't had one in my hands.

My local computer-making shop
just gets out the box of SATA cables and gives me one if I ask nicely.

Sure, but you *paid* for them

(As long as I'm buying something as well :-) Are suppliers
profiteering from the "new" technology, like some still do with
Firewire cables?

The prices I've seen aren't ripoffs, but you end up paying at least twice as
much.

Laurence Payne

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:31:46 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Sure, but you *paid* for them

(Though many boards have 4 ports).

Seems like, still haven't had one in my hands.

My local computer-making shop
just gets out the box of SATA cables and gives me one if I ask nicely.

Sure, but you *paid* for them

That's twice you've said that! Yeah sure. I paid for them. But if
I'd paid an inflated retail price I was getting the motherboard VERY
cheaply :=-)

Geoff Wood

Ally wrote:
Hi,
I'm building a DAW.
Are the following parts all compatible and well-suited?

motherboard:
Abit NF7
(V2.0 nForce2 Socket A 8xAGP LAN USB2 6 ch Sound DDR400 Memory)

cpu:
AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB 512 L2 Cache Barton

RAM:
256 DDR400 PC3200

Hard drives:
Seagate ST3120026A 120gb 7200rpm 8mb Cache Barracuda 7200.7 Plus - OEM

Maxtor 6Y080P0 Plus 9 80Gb 7200rpm 8mb Cache ATA133 Hard Drive - OEM

IDE cables:
Round IDE cable Ata133 x3

Finally, what wattage of PSU do I need?

Whatever hard drive you decide on, you will need two - one for
OS/Applications, and one for audio data (installed on separate IDE
channels). As you will doubtlessly be adding a CD/DVD writer ( on the same
IDE cahannel as the primary HDD) , I would suggest a PSU of at least 350W
capacity.

And I've heard that the flat ribbons are better than the trendy 'round' IDE
cables.

geoff

Laurence Payne

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 10:38:41 +1200, "Geoff Wood"
-nospam wrote:

Whatever hard drive you decide on, you will need two - one for
OS/Applications, and one for audio data (installed on separate IDE
channels). As you will doubtlessly be adding a CD/DVD writer ( on the same
IDE cahannel as the primary HDD) , I would suggest a PSU of at least 350W
capacity.

Why? After protracted argument elsewhere, we've established that
when LOADING a recording application, Windows may readjust the part of
paged memory which is dumped to disk. But there's no evidence that,
on a computer with sufficient memory installed, there will be
continual access of the hard drives by Windows or the application,
other than to stream audio data.
Geoff Wood

-nospam wrote:

Whatever hard drive you decide on, you will need two - one for
OS/Applications, and one for audio data (installed on separate IDE
channels). As you will doubtlessly be adding a CD/DVD writer ( on
the same IDE cahannel as the primary HDD) , I would suggest a PSU of
at least 350W capacity.

Why? After protracted argument elsewhere, we've established that
when LOADING a recording application, Windows may readjust the part of
paged memory which is dumped to disk. But there's no evidence that,
on a computer with sufficient memory installed, there will be
continual access of the hard drives by Windows or the application,
other than to stream audio data.

1 - Some applications dymanically load and unload modules during recording,
especially if playing back trax at the same tiume.

2 - Neat and tidy.

geoff

Laurence Payne

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 17:49:25 +1200, "Geoff Wood"
-nospam wrote:

1 - Some applications dymanically load and unload modules during recording,
especially if playing back trax at the same tiume.

Really? Actually DURING RECORDING? What could an application
suddenly require half-way through a recording? We set up the effects
we need - then run the recording.

Have a look at what happens when you load an application. There's a
re-adjustment of what Windows kernel code needs to be in unpaged
memory.

Everything else loads into paged memory. There is the potential that
this may be dumped to disk, if RAM runs short. But this is really
ancient history. We design our DAW with sufficient RAM so that paging
to disk won't be required. This happened when we were running
programs in 16MB of memory, 15 years ago. Now we install amounts of
RAM that are huge compared to the size of program code. Paging to
disk just doesn't happen.

(Note that "unpaged memory" is a small region kept independent of
Windows' virtual memory system. Everything else is "paged memory".
But not paged to disk. Unless you're grossly low on physical memory.)

2 - Neat and tidy.

More so than a folder or partition on the same drive?
Geoff Wood

Laurence Payne wrote:

Really? Actually DURING RECORDING? What could an application
suddenly require half-way through a recording? We set up the effects
we need - then run the recording.

Well I concede that you should really have all load, run, and unnecessary
services killed off, but most users don't.

More so than a folder or partition on the same drive?

Yep. You can uplug the data drive, take it to another machine, and still
use both machines.

geoff

Laurence Payne

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 23:20:03 +1200, "Geoff Wood"
-nospam wrote:

More so than a folder or partition on the same drive?

Yep. You can uplug the data drive, take it to another machine, and still
use both machines.

I guess users who want to do this would buy an external Firewire drive
or the like? Preferable to constantly dismantling their computers.
Arny Krueger

"Laurence Payne" wrote in
message
-nospam wrote:

More so than a folder or partition on the same drive?

Yep. You can uplug the data drive, take it to another machine, and
still use both machines.

I guess users who want to do this would buy an external Firewire drive
or the like? Preferable to constantly dismantling their computers.

Yes, Firewire or USB-2 are the current solutions, and fine solutions they
are. I guess SATA's hot-plug feature (largely not implemented in equipment
on the market at this time) would make the third alternative.

Hot-plug SCSI is old news, and that would be the fourth (or is it first,

Geoff Wood

-nospam wrote:

More so than a folder or partition on the same drive?

Yep. You can uplug the data drive, take it to another machine, and
still use both machines.

I guess users who want to do this would buy an external Firewire drive
or the like? Preferable to constantly dismantling their computers.

I turn a key, pull a handle and withdraw the tray, and I'm away laughing.
Takes all of 3 seconds. No cables to lose.

geoff