Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dewitt Dewitt is offline

Default Software for Writing sheet music on computer staff

I'm looking for software that I can use to score film and enter MIDI
data by just writing the music the old fashion way but on my DAW.

Does anybody know if pro-tools has a plug-in or can anyone give me a
recommendation on software I can rewire?

I just want some user friendly software that I won't have to use
keyboard to enter the MIDI data 1 track at a time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Dewitt wrote:
I'm looking for software that I can use to score film and enter MIDI
data by just writing the music the old fashion way but on my DAW.

Does anybody know if pro-tools has a plug-in or can anyone give me a
recommendation on software I can rewire?

I just want some user friendly software that I won't have to use
keyboard to enter the MIDI data 1 track at a time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sibelius is one of the main ones in common use. Probably lots of others
around too. Google"music notation software".

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Dewitt wrote:
On Mar 8, 7:16 pm, "Geoff" wrote:
Dewitt wrote:
I'm looking for software that I can use to score film and enter MIDI
data by just writing the music the old fashion way but on my DAW.

Does anybody know if pro-tools has a plug-in or can anyone give me a
recommendation on software I can rewire?

I just want some user friendly software that I won't have to use
keyboard to enter the MIDI data 1 track at a time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sibelius is one of the main ones in common use. Probably lots of
others around too. Google"music notation software".

geoff

I heard of finale' How does that one rate? Where can I get honest
ratings of this kind of software?

Ah Finale, I remember that from way back. All tthe serious musos and
students I know use Sibelius - don't know if that's a sc=ufficient
recommendation. Surely there is a free download demo ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Dewitt wrote:
I'm looking for software that I can use to score film and enter MIDI
data by just writing the music the old fashion way but on my DAW.

Sibelius seems to be the most popular scoring application.

Does anybody know if pro-tools has a plug-in or can anyone give me a
recommendation on software I can rewire?

Pro-Tools is an audio editing application, not a scoring application.
It's not _for_ that, and while it's increasingly trying to be everything
for everybody, it hasn't gone THAT far downhill yet.

I just want some user friendly software that I won't have to use
keyboard to enter the MIDI data 1 track at a time.

You may find it easier to use a keyboard to do it, then translate to score,
actually.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hal Laurent Hal Laurent is offline

Sibelius seems to be the most popular scoring application.

Sibelius seems to have the best marketing since being assimilated by Adobe.

I've used Finale for years, and like it a lot. I haven't used it much for
generating MIDI, though, mostly just for making scores and parts. The
learning curve was a bit steep, but I haven't run into any notation tasks
that I couldn't do with it.

I also have Sibelius here so I can handle scores written by others I know
that use Sibelius, but I haven't spent an awful lot of time with it yet. My
first impression is that it's easier than Finale for getting a score done,
but more difficult to make the score look good.

--
Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

"Geoff" wrote in message ...
Dewitt wrote:
On Mar 8, 7:16 pm, "Geoff" wrote:
Dewitt wrote:
I'm looking for software that I can use to score film and enter MIDI
data by just writing the music the old fashion way but on my DAW.

Does anybody know if pro-tools has a plug-in or can anyone give me a
recommendation on software I can rewire?

I just want some user friendly software that I won't have to use
keyboard to enter the MIDI data 1 track at a time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sibelius is one of the main ones in common use. Probably lots of
others around too. Google"music notation software".

geoff

I heard of finale' How does that one rate? Where can I get honest
ratings of this kind of software?

Ah Finale, I remember that from way back. All tthe serious musos and
students I know use Sibelius - don't know if that's a sc=ufficient
recommendation. Surely there is a free download demo ?

The manual for Finale is about 500 pages... it's massive and complex,
and the worst of it's problems (in 2000) were in talking to printers.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dewitt Dewitt is offline

On Mar 8, 9:25 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Dewitt wrote:
I'm looking for software that I can use to score film and enter MIDI
data by just writing the music the old fashion way but on my DAW.

Sibelius seems to be the most popular scoring application.

Does anybody know if pro-tools has a plug-in or can anyone give me a
recommendation on software I can rewire?

Pro-Tools is an audio editing application, not a scoring application.
It's not _for_ that, and while it's increasingly trying to be everything
for everybody, it hasn't gone THAT far downhill yet.

I just want some user friendly software that I won't have to use
keyboard to enter the MIDI data 1 track at a time.

You may find it easier to use a keyboard to do it, then translate to score,
actually.

Why sould it be 'going downhill" to have it? It seems to me that
almost everything pro tools needs is only offered as plug ins by the
hour, day, week, or month at pertty steep prices?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I heard of finale' How does that one rate? Where can I get honest
ratings of this kind of software?

Both Sibelius and Finale are score publishing programs, with the
primary function of producing publication-quality printed output. You
might be happier with a sequencer that has a score-edit page. Cubase
does (though some of its "lite" versions omit the score editor.) It
also has comprehensive tools for lining up bars and beats to audio or
video.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 02:40:24 GMT, "Hal Laurent"
wrote:

I've used Finale for years, and like it a lot. I haven't used it much for
generating MIDI, though, mostly just for making scores and parts. The
learning curve was a bit steep, but I haven't run into any notation tasks
that I couldn't do with it.

I also have Sibelius here so I can handle scores written by others I know
that use Sibelius, but I haven't spent an awful lot of time with it yet. My
first impression is that it's easier than Finale for getting a score done,
but more difficult to make the score look good.

We need to establish whether the aim is MIDI output, or printed parts
for a recording with live musicians. Sibelius and Finale are suited
to the second.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"David Morgan (MAMS)" /Odm wrote in message

The manual for Finale is about 500 pages... it's massive and complex,
and the worst of it's problems (in 2000) were in talking to printers.

The manual for Finale nowadays is electronic (PDF). It does indeed have a
lot of stuff in it.

I've had no printer problems with recent versions of Finale (since 2003 at
least, possibly earlier).

Oh, this is on Windows machines. I have no idea if the Mac versions had
printer problems.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9 Mar 2007 19:40:37 -0800, "Dewitt" wrote:

We need to establish whether the aim is MIDI output, or printed parts
for a recording with live musicians. Sibelius and Finale are suited
to the second.

I want both?

OK. Then try out Sibelius if your priority is fully-tweaked printed
output but you're prepared to jump through hoops to perfect the audio
output. Try Cubase for full control over the MIDI plus adequate, but
not publication-quality printed output.

I use both.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Repacholi Paul Repacholi is offline

"Dewitt" writes:

I'm looking for software that I can use to score film and enter MIDI
data by just writing the music the old fashion way but on my DAW.

Does anybody know if pro-tools has a plug-in or can anyone give me a
recommendation on software I can rewire?

I just want some user friendly software that I won't have to use
keyboard to enter the MIDI data 1 track at a time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Have a look at Lillypond and Rosegarden. Dig around from there

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Hal Laurent" wrote in message news:gMnIh.188$vb.117@trndny04...

"David Morgan (MAMS)" /Odm wrote in message

The manual for Finale is about 500 pages... it's massive and complex,
and the worst of it's problems (in 2000) were in talking to printers.

The manual for Finale nowadays is electronic (PDF). It does indeed have a
lot of stuff in it.

I've had no printer problems with recent versions of Finale (since 2003 at
least, possibly earlier).

Oh, this is on Windows machines. I have no idea if the Mac versions had
printer problems.

My experience was in 2000, with a client who wanted a score of everything
he was doing... we tried numerous printers and nothing seemed to 'justify'
in print, the same way it was staffed. I was baffled by the software in general,
but I'm not a muso to that extended depth. The SW was running on Win98SE
at the time... and we never did get printable results - every little change to the
score would bring on a new printing issue. Haven't dealt with anything similar
since.

DM

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Preben Friis Preben Friis is offline

"Dewitt" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 9, 10:48 am, Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom

I also have Sibelius here so I can handle scores written by others I
know
that use Sibelius, but I haven't spent an awful lot of time with it yet.
My
first impression is that it's easier than Finale for getting a score
done,
but more difficult to make the score look good.

We need to establish whether the aim is MIDI output, or printed parts
for a recording with live musicians. Sibelius and Finale are suited
to the second.

I want both?

They you ought to know, that Sibelius is now directly available from Pro
Tools .... since Digidesign bought it.

/Preben Friis

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 02:57:09 +0100, "Preben Friis"
wrote:

They you ought to know, that Sibelius is now directly available from Pro
Tools .... since Digidesign bought it.

Are you telling us that Sibelius is now integrated in ProTools as a
plugin or similar? If so, I'm very surprised Sibelius don't seem to
have announced the fact! Can you give more details?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message

Are you telling us that Sibelius is now integrated in ProTools as a
plugin or similar? If so, I'm very surprised Sibelius don't seem to
have announced the fact! Can you give more details?

The word Sibelius is mentioned 29 times in "What's new in HD 7.3".

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...D_73_32856.pdf

.... and 36 times in

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._ACA_32854.pdf

/Preben Friis

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Preben Friis" wrote ...
"Laurence Payne" wrote ...

Are you telling us that Sibelius is now integrated in ProTools as a
plugin or similar? If so, I'm very surprised Sibelius don't seem to
have announced the fact! Can you give more details?

The word Sibelius is mentioned 29 times in "What's new in HD 7.3".

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...D_73_32856.pdf

... and 36 times in

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._ACA_32854.pdf

And "Pro Tools" is mentioned 15 times in the
www.sibelius.com website (according to Google)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:11:29 +0100, "Preben Friis"
wrote:

"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message
.. .

Are you telling us that Sibelius is now integrated in ProTools as a
plugin or similar? If so, I'm very surprised Sibelius don't seem to
have announced the fact! Can you give more details?

The word Sibelius is mentioned 29 times in "What's new in HD 7.3".

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...D_73_32856.pdf

... and 36 times in

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._ACA_32854.pdf

/Preben Friis

Thank you.

What ProTools users appear to have so far is a semi-automated routine
for creating a MID file of one or more tracks, then presenting it for
import into Sibelius.

Apart from the script that calls Sibelius, it's exactly the same
facility available to any other sequencer that can export a MID file.
Neat, but a long way short of having Sibelius available as an
interactive Score Edit page in ProTools. Maybe that's why it's
attracted no attention on the Sibelius forums.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Preben Friis Preben Friis is offline

"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in message

What ProTools users appear to have so far is a semi-automated routine
for creating a MID file of one or more tracks, then presenting it for
import into Sibelius.

Apart from the script that calls Sibelius, it's exactly the same
facility available to any other sequencer that can export a MID file.
Neat, but a long way short of having Sibelius available as an
interactive Score Edit page in ProTools. Maybe that's why it's
attracted no attention on the Sibelius forums.

Right now, yes, but I guess there must be a deeper reason for buying
Sibelius. I guess the "Send to..." menu was what they could make in a short
time. Maybe there will be full integration in PT75 .. or PT80 ...

/Preben Friis

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Preben Friis wrote:

I want both?

They you ought to know, that Sibelius is now directly available from
Pro Tools .... since Digidesign bought it.

So they be keeping the Windows version going ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Geoff" wrote in message
They you ought to know, that Sibelius is now directly available from
Pro Tools .... since Digidesign bought it.

So they be keeping the Windows version going ?

Your guess is as good as mine .... - but on PT they seem to support Windows
just as well as Apple... Vista support soon ...

/Preben Friis

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Preben Friis wrote:
"Geoff" wrote in message
They you ought to know, that Sibelius is now directly available from
Pro Tools .... since Digidesign bought it.

So they be keeping the Windows version going ?

Your guess is as good as mine .... - but on PT they seem to support
Windows just as well as Apple... Vista support soon ...

Could have been worse - Apple might have bought it, like Logic....

geoff

Free sheet music! james Pro Audio 0 February 22nd 07 10:15 PM
Part writing software? Craig Ruggels Pro Audio 2 December 7th 06 04:54 AM
FS SV3700/SVDA10 Tech manual and sheet music duskb Pro Audio 0 July 5th 06 04:40 PM
CD writing software that will stop after each track plays John H. Power Pro Audio 16 May 23rd 04 04:46 PM
CD writing software that will stop after each track plays John H. Power Pro Audio 0 May 21st 04 07:35 PM