Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] emin9th@yahoo.com is offline

Default best sound insulating under sheetrock

Getting ready to sheetrock a garage for a music room. My main concern
is sound absorbtion to not bother neighbors. I was planning on
fiberglass insulation under the sheetrock, between the 2x4s. Is there
something better that I can use in this space, not too expensive?
I'm guessing the fiberglass would help quite a bit.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
Getting ready to sheetrock a garage for a music room. My main concern
is sound absorbtion to not bother neighbors. I was planning on
fiberglass insulation under the sheetrock, between the 2x4s. Is there
something better that I can use in this space, not too expensive?
I'm guessing the fiberglass would help quite a bit.

The fiberglass will help keep the interior temperature more
habitable, but it won't do much for blocking sound. For that
you need *mass*.

Concrete blocks filled with concrete (or sand) provides some
mass and is "not too expensive" (depending on your
definition)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jb jb is offline

On Feb 23, 5:29 pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
wrote ...

Getting ready to sheetrock a garage for a music room. My main concern
is sound absorbtion to not bother neighbors. I was planning on
fiberglass insulation under the sheetrock, between the 2x4s. Is there
something better that I can use in this space, not too expensive?
I'm guessing the fiberglass would help quite a bit.

The fiberglass will help keep the interior temperature more
habitable, but it won't do much for blocking sound. For that
you need *mass*.

Concrete blocks filled with concrete (or sand) provides some
mass and is "not too expensive" (depending on your
definition)

"Mass" is not the real issue, it is a common misnomer. If you really
want to do it right, and I suggest you do, do some research, start
with http://www.rivesaudio.com You will find it of immense help. I
built a dedicated listening room/studio after much reading. The first
thing you need to do is get "resilient channell" to hang your
sheetrock on, do not nail them into the studs, because no matter how
much "dense" filler you put in, the sound vibrates through the wall
studs. Next, if you can afford it, put 2 layers of sheetrock up, one
5/8" and one layer of 1/2". there are a lot of expensive pads on the
market that work quite well if you have the money, but I found It was
unnecessary. I frequently play at 100+ decibels and you can barely
hear it a few few from the wall outside. good luck
jb

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:40:26 -0500, jb wrote
(in article om):

[...]

Mass is very important. What's even more important is D- I -D.

That's Density - Isolation - Density, which is what you go on about.

The Mass, you think is a "misnomer" is your two sheets of dry wall.

The isolation is the channel.

There is also a sheet rock product on the market that comes in different
width sandwiches that are already isolated. Haven't used it. but it looks lie
a good theoretical approach.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Doc Weaver Doc Weaver is offline

On Feb 23, 7:18 pm, wrote:
Getting ready to sheetrock a garage for a music room. My main concern
is sound absorbtion to not bother neighbors. I was planning on
fiberglass insulation under the sheetrock, between the 2x4s. Is there
something better that I can use in this space, not too expensive?
I'm guessing the fiberglass would help quite a bit.

I used lined R19 between the studs and then used a vinyl barrier
between the drywall and the fiberglass. I got the barrier from
AcousticsFirst.com. They're pretty good at what they do.

Doc Weaver

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On 23 Feb 2007 16:18:56 -0800, wrote:

Getting ready to sheetrock a garage for a music room. My main concern
is sound absorbtion to not bother neighbors. I was planning on
fiberglass insulation under the sheetrock, between the 2x4s. Is there
something better that I can use in this space, not too expensive?
I'm guessing the fiberglass would help quite a bit.

Mass is good. The more massive, the harder to move.
Stiffness is good. The stiffer, the harder to move
Isolation is good. If things aren't in contact, they can't move each
other.

So what you need is effectively a room within a room, with the inner
room isolated as far as possible from the outer garage walls. I.e.,
don't fix studs to the walls and nail sheetrock on them. If the garage
has a really solid concrete foundation, you can stand the inner room
on that. The big problems will be any windows and particularly the
door. An up-and-over or roller door may as well be left open for all
the good it will do, so if this is a serious project, you need to
brick up that opening and treat it as just another wall.

Fibreglass and fillers are just final tweaks. Personally I wouldn't
use fibreglass, because it tends to get loose and eventually cause
skin irritation.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ethan Winer Ethan Winer is offline

wrote in message
I was planning on fiberglass insulation under the sheetrock, between the

2x4s. Is there something better that I can use in this space, not too
expensive?

There's nothing better than fiberglass that I know of. The suggestion to
alternate mass and an air space is correct, and resilient channel is good
too. Also look into Green Glue he

http://www.greengluecompany.com/

There's a lot of good advice on that site, so spend some time there to read
up on the various construction methods they tested and reported on. (See the
table of content at the upper left of their home page.)

--Ethan

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jb jb is offline

On Feb 24, 8:30 am, "Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com
wrote:
wrote in message
I was planning on fiberglass insulation under the sheetrock, between the

2x4s. Is there something better that I can use in this space, not too
expensive?

There's nothing better than fiberglass that I know of. The suggestion to
alternate mass and an air space is correct, and resilient channel is good
too. Also look into Green Glue he

http://www.greengluecompany.com/

There's a lot of good advice on that site, so spend some time there to read
up on the various construction methods they tested and reported on. (See the
table of content at the upper left of their home page.)

--Ethan

Ty, you were "right on", regarding "mass" AND isolation. Instead of
saying mass is "not" the issue, I meant to say "mass is not the ONLY"
issue. Isolation, and preventing the vibrations from transfering
through the materials is the key concept. essentially the whole room
needs to be working together to prevent this. and once you have the
"sound proofing" issues resolved, you may want to look at the
accoustic properties within the room itself as regards "nulls/voids,
flutter echo" and generally how the shape of the room contributes to
the overall sonic quality"
Good Luck
jb

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

"Mass" is not the real issue, it is a common misnomer.

"Mass" is the correct name for what he was talking about.
Whether he was right or wrong, it is not a misnomer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Haolemon Haolemon is offline

On Feb 23, 4:18 pm, wrote:
Getting ready to sheetrock a garage for a music room. My main concern
is sound absorbtion to not bother neighbors. I was planning on
fiberglass insulation under the sheetrock, between the 2x4s. Is there
something better that I can use in this space, not too expensive?
I'm guessing the fiberglass would help quite a bit.

I used a product called "loaded vinyl" sandwiched between two
(different thicknesses) or sheet rock. It worked very well for me.

This stuff used to be called leaded vinyl, and a friend of mine thinks
that they probably changed the name for environmental reasons and that
it is "loaded with lead". Auralex sells it under the name Sheetblock,
and it is available elsewhere as well. It is about a pound of limp
mass per square foot, is about 1/4" thick, and is not cheap. But as I
said, it did work well for me.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mogens V. Mogens V. is offline

Haolemon wrote:
On Feb 23, 4:18 pm, wrote:

Getting ready to sheetrock a garage for a music room. My main concern
is sound absorbtion to not bother neighbors. I was planning on
fiberglass insulation under the sheetrock, between the 2x4s. Is there
something better that I can use in this space, not too expensive?
I'm guessing the fiberglass would help quite a bit.

I used a product called "loaded vinyl" sandwiched between two
(different thicknesses) or sheet rock. It worked very well for me.

This stuff used to be called leaded vinyl, and a friend of mine thinks
that they probably changed the name for environmental reasons and that
it is "loaded with lead". Auralex sells it under the name Sheetblock,
and it is available elsewhere as well. It is about a pound of limp
mass per square foot, is about 1/4" thick, and is not cheap. But as I
said, it did work well for me.

I know this material. Had long discussions with a knowledgeable friend
about building a soundproofed room for rehearsing and home recording.
We talked about a multilayered approach with said material, plaster
plates and tar plates.
The idea was to have mass/weight and using materials with different
vibration dampening capabilities.
Still haven't finished evaluating, though.

I spotted these readymade boxed yesterday:
http://www.whisperroom.com/

Smalles useful one is 3½x5 ft: $3450, ouch! And I want it larger...

Dampening isn't enough, especially at lower frequencies, but it's
interesting how much the do dampen, using just coated MDF of sorts.
They don't state _how_ measurements were done, i.e. was the boxes places
in an otherwise dampened room, a bare production hall, mics at which
distance and so on..

--
Kind regards,
Mogens V.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jerry Jerry is offline

Just build a double sheetrocked wall with no physical connection between the
two. You can throw some fiberglass insulation between the two if you want.
It's amazing what a space of dead air will do. Just picture a Thermos
bottle.