Nate Najar

Default Problem with c3000b

I haven't used this mic in awhile and i went to record a solo nylon
string gutiar track tonight and the mic wasn't working. Last time I
used it it performed correctly. I checked my cable and preamp and both
were fine. Running the c3000b into a mackie onyx board. The problem
is that mic has no gain. I had to turn the preamp trim up almost all
the way to get any signal and then of course there's noise all over the
place. Has this happened to anyone here before? What do you suppose
is theproblem and what's the best way to handle it? I've never really
liked the mic, but it's always been a usable mic- I guess if it's kaput
i'll replace it with something better. Anyway, any opinions/ideas?

Nate

EADGBE

Nate:

I have exactly the same mic. I haven't used mine in a long while
either.

I will plug it in tomorrow and test it, and I will let you know if mine
does the same thing.

What other large-diaphragm condenser mics do you have? Believe it or
not, I get EXCELLENT results with my (semi-)cheap Shure KSM27 on all
kinds of acoustic guitars for mono recording.

SIDE NOTE (or should I say "mid-side" note?): If you are recording a
solo nylon-string guitar and you plan to make a stereo recording of it,
I HIGHLY recommend you try the "mid-side" miking technique. Once I
worked out how to do it (with some help from the kind folks on this
here newsgroup), I have been able to get truly amazing stereo imaging
on solo acoustic instruments. For my money, it's the way to go if you
are recording solo guitar.

Ty Ford

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:05:33 -0400, Nate Najar wrote
(in article .com):

I haven't used this mic in awhile and i went to record a solo nylon
string gutiar track tonight and the mic wasn't working. Last time I
used it it performed correctly. I checked my cable and preamp and both
were fine. Running the c3000b into a mackie onyx board. The problem
is that mic has no gain. I had to turn the preamp trim up almost all
the way to get any signal and then of course there's noise all over the
place. Has this happened to anyone here before? What do you suppose
is theproblem and what's the best way to handle it? I've never really
liked the mic, but it's always been a usable mic- I guess if it's kaput
i'll replace it with something better. Anyway, any opinions/ideas?

Nate

It was facing in the proper direction, right?

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Nate Najar

I have a 414 also but I didn't want to use it on the guitar because I
like to use it on drums. I was experimenting last night to see if the
3000 woul be a good fit on the guitar so i could use the 414 elsewhere.
unfortunately since it doesn't work it's not a good fit! I was going
to use it in th bridge position as an extra mic to pick up more mid
frequencies. The main mic I use on the guitar is the oktava 012 which
i love. I just ordered an omni capsule for it from th sound room so i
think I'll get better results when that comes in, but I'e been very
happy with this thing in cardioid too. I do need to pick up one or 2
more LDC's, haven't really decided on something yet. I haven't looked
at the shure ksm series yet, maybe I ought to. What I hate is that it
seems like all mics have a presence peak around 5-6k which drives me
insane. If i wanted that peak I'd eq it in myself. I would really
like to find a few relatively flat LDC's. If you use those peaked mics
on everything, the recording comes out harsh! I'd love to get a u87
but I don't want to spend that kind of bread just for a personal
studio. I'll probably get a tlm 193 or 103 plus something else and i
bet I'll be happy. Mic magazine just gave a rave review of that new
mxl "fake" tube mic. I know it's a cheap chinese mic, but it seems some
people have had good luck with mxl and the resposne curve on this mic
is almost dead flat, so that interests me. Maybe if I got that and a
neumann I'd have all my bases covered!

Anyway, could you explain how to do the M-S on solo guitar? I don't
know really any stereo micing techniques and should probably pick some
up. I play jazz so i make my records like the old days. I use a
single mic on the drums, a mic on the bass, and so forth.... I pan the
drums and bass opposite and then take my other instruments and put them
in the stereo field where I like them. gives a very cool sound with
definitely good separation and feel!

Nate

Nate Najar

haha I guess you have to ask that question. Yes it was. When i
realized it wasn't working I checked the cable, the channel strip and i
spoke into both sides of the mic! Same result as before.

Nate

skhoover

"Cute little babies that fall out of swings,
These are a few of my favorite things."
Oscar Hammerstein - working lyric from The Sound Of Music
"Nate Najar" wrote in message
ups.com...
haha I guess you have to ask that question. Yes it was. When i
realized it wasn't working I checked the cable, the channel strip and i
spoke into both sides of the mic! Same result as before.

Nate

you do have the phantom power switched on, right?
sorry if this is too obvious . . . .

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Nate Najar" wrote in message oups.com...
I haven't used this mic in awhile and i went to record a solo nylon
string gutiar track tonight and the mic wasn't working. Last time I
used it it performed correctly. I checked my cable and preamp and both
were fine. Running the c3000b into a mackie onyx board. The problem
is that mic has no gain. I had to turn the preamp trim up almost all
the way to get any signal and then of course there's noise all over the
place. Has this happened to anyone here before? What do you suppose
is theproblem and what's the best way to handle it? I've never really
liked the mic, but it's always been a usable mic- I guess if it's kaput
i'll replace it with something better. Anyway, any opinions/ideas?

Nate

I have a couple of these. I believe that AKG will service it for a flat fee.
Given the cost of the mic (depending on where you purchased it), that
may be a prohibitive fee... but the mics are "ok" for a lot of things and
I'm not one to toss an AKG. It should be worth the fixin'...

DM

Hal Laurent

"Ty Ford" wrote in message

It was facing in the proper direction, right?

The Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra plays occasionally at a retirement home
near Oxford, PA. This place has two AKG C3000's, both of which they place
with the *end* facing the sound source! I didn't have the heart to tell
them.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Julian

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:28:29 -0400, "Hal Laurent"
wrote:

"Ty Ford" wrote in message

It was facing in the proper direction, right?

The Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra plays occasionally at a retirement home
near Oxford, PA. This place has two AKG C3000's, both of which they place
with the *end* facing the sound source! I didn't have the heart to tell
them.

They may think you are a genius when they hear how much better it
sounds!
Jim Gilliland

Hal Laurent wrote:

The Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra plays occasionally at a retirement home
near Oxford, PA. This place has two AKG C3000's, both of which they place
with the *end* facing the sound source! I didn't have the heart to tell
them.

Maybe it sounds better that way! Having it that far off-axis might roll
off a good bit of the high-end.

Geoff Wood

"Hal Laurent" wrote in message

"Ty Ford" wrote in message

It was facing in the proper direction, right?

The Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra plays occasionally at a retirement home
near Oxford, PA. This place has two AKG C3000's, both of which they place
with the *end* facing the sound source! I didn't have the heart to tell
them.

Maybe they found the sound better that way ?!!

geoff

stuff are at www.tyford.com

I had to put a mark on the front of mine to remind me of the right
side. They look identical from both sides.

They do have a set of dip switches and one is a -3db cut. If the gain
is low that could have been changed.

Mine had a terrible radio freq. pickup problem. Had to wrap it in
tin-foil and then put black tape around it to hide the foil. That
solved the problem but it looked like hell. Looked better on Toms on
rock sessions, but I was never impressed with the sound.

J West

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"J_West" wrote in message ...

Are we still talking about 3000s ?

I had to put a mark on the front of mine to remind me of the right
side. They look identical from both sides.

The Logo, the model number, and the pattern symbol are on the front.

They do have a set of dip switches and one is a -3db cut. If the gain
is low that could have been changed.

It's pad is a 10dB attenuator... and that's a lot.

Mine had a terrible radio freq. pickup problem. Had to wrap it in
tin-foil and then put black tape around it to hide the foil. That
solved the problem but it looked like hell.

You had a rather obvious cable problem, IMHO.

Looked better on Toms on
rock sessions, but I was never impressed with the sound.

Whaddaya' want for a $200 AKG large diaphragm? ;-)

DM

PS... were you joking?

Ty Ford

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 02:19:50 -0400, David Morgan \(MAMS\) wrote
(in article akOte.519$HU.160@trnddc03):
Whaddaya' want for a $200 AKG large diaphragm? ;-)

Not AKG's finest moment, but when the market says we will buy thousands of
cheap mics, but not so many good ones, you stop cutting steak and start
making hot dogs.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Ty Ford

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:35:38 -0400, Nate Najar wrote
(in article . com):

[...]

The Rode NT2000 and NT2-a do better at not having that 5-6k peak. The u 87
has more of a plateau there. Try a U 89 or TLM 193 or TLM 170. Slightly
smaller diaphragm, slightly better off-axis response, slightly less peaky.

The AT 4050 is also not peaky.

If you really want to hear something nice. Try a Schoeps cmc641 SDC. It'll
make you reconsider your Oktava.

As usual, I have reviews of most of them on my site.

I'm not a fan of stereo (or multi) acoustic guitar micing, especially in
arrangements of the type you mention. The sounds gets sloppy unless you have
a really, really, really nice environment and even then you end up
compromising the spread to fit the mix. One good Schoeps with a good sounding
stereo reverb is much more workable.

Some will disagree. They may, that's cool. Click on the lower left link on my
site to bring up the directory or music recorded here. I have an MP3 of a cut
we did here called Wind. The six and 12 strings were each recorded with one
Schoeps cmc641.

On Existential Boogie I have two rhythm tracks of Martin D28 S on the left
and One Pre CBS vibrolux/semi acoustic telecaster on the right, all tracked
with the Schoeps and a Millennia Media STT-1. Enjoy.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Nate Najar

Ty,

what's the url for your site? thanks for the comments everyone- I
think I'll abandon the c3000 and lookinto something more useful.0

Nate

Nate Najar

Ty,

I looked at the schoeps mic you mention on their website.... you think
a supercardioid capsule is the best for my situation? I do agree to
off axis attenuation would be helpful, but of course I would think you
wouldn't get enoug guitar sound this way.... let me ask, what kind of
positioning would you use on the schoeps for the guitar?

Nate

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Ty Ford

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:18:20 -0400, Nate Najar wrote
(in article .com):

Ty,

I looked at the schoeps mic you mention on their website.... you think
a supercardioid capsule is the best for my situation? I do agree to
off axis attenuation would be helpful, but of course I would think you
wouldn't get enoug guitar sound this way.... let me ask, what kind of
positioning would you use on the schoeps for the guitar?

Nate

well if I'm just tracking acoustic guitar, I stick a finger in one ear and
have the guy/gal play. Then I put the mic in the sound lobe projected by the
guitar and finagle to taste.

Usually about 16 inches out with the cmc641.

If I'm tracking acoustic guitar and vocals (singer/songwriter style)
I'l.....WAIT A MINUTE THAT'S A TRADE SECRET.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Some Recording Techniques kevindoylemusic Pro Audio 19 February 16th 05 08:54 PM
CLC: More John Stewart Vacuum Tubes 12 November 2nd 04 10:47 AM
Problem With Alpine Head Unit/Type E Subs (Part 2) Brian Lamendola Car Audio 3 May 25th 04 04:58 AM