Korgi

Default Cubase synchronization (Midi Clock sync) problem

Hi All,

I'm having major trouble synchronizing Cubase VST 5.1 to the Midi Clock

output of my Fostex D90 HD recorder.

The D90 is set as the Master and Cubase is in "Sync" mode - a standard
setup. (Obviously all the VST sync options are set to match the D90). I

use a Mac G4/OS9.2/MIDEX8x8/OMS2.3.8/EMU e6400/RolandJV1080.

When the D90 is playing, Cubase locks on and plays in perfect sync
UNTIL I hit a MIDI controller (key, pitchbend, mod). After that, all
the MIDI sequences fall out of sync after 10 bars or so - it sounds
like suddenly the MIDI modules are slowing down and there is a delay,
though none of the Cubase Audio tracks are affected, and the metronome
in Cubase never falls out of sync with the D90. I've checked all the
MIDI settings in VST and everything seems correctly set.

I've also tried routing the MIDI signal to different modules, but the
same thing happens. (Bizarrely, even when the D90 is stopped and I try
to reset and just run the Cubase sequence, the MIDI continues out of
sync until I restart Cubase, or re-set the MIDEX. The same ALSO happens

when the D90 is playing but the SYNC option is switched off in VST and
the two are running "independently")

Without the D90 involved, everything works fine. I cannot understand
this, having used my D90 for years without any sync problems - it's a
stable & profesional machine and I'm sure I've used it with my setup
successfully before.

Does this sound familiar? Can anyone help? I've already torn about 237
hairs off my head and at this rate I'll go bold in a week.

Many thanks guys,

Bart.

John L Rice

Hi Bart,

First off you should post your question to the following to groups also :

http://homerecording.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=16

I've done a lot of syncing of Fostex D series machines to Cubase ( 5 and
up ) but I haven't done so while recording/playing other midi devices a the
same time.

Can you describe in detail all off the physical connections you are using
( MIDI and word clock for all devices ) and also the settings in Cubase and
the D-90. Like for instance in the Cubase settings are you routing MIDI
sync to just one specific MIDI channel or are you sending it to all
channels, etc.

Best of luck.

--
John L Rice

"Korgi" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Korgi

Cheers John,

I will check the cubase settings in detail, meanwhile here is a quick
list of my MIDI setup (I have "stripped" the system to a bare minimum,
to try eliminate any possible midi conflicts):

MIDEX8
D-90 (connected to MIDEX in port only)
Master Keyboard (connected to MIDEX in port only)
EMU E6400 (connected to MIDEX out port only)

The D90's sync is set to MTC at 25fps, Cubase Sync is set to external
MTC - ie. all the normal settings for synchronisation to external
source.

Bart.