marysue

Default Good Quality CD Player?

I know this is a bit off topic, but can anyone recommend a CD player
with good sounding converters for listening to mixes at home.

I've been reading some of this CD vinyl debate, and while I think it's
nonsense to say vinyl is superior to CD, I have noticed that my current
CD/DVD player really sounds quite bad compared to some of the
professional players I've heard.

Mary Sue

Scott Dorsey

marysue wrote:
I know this is a bit off topic, but can anyone recommend a CD player
with good sounding converters for listening to mixes at home.

Not really any more, although I will say that the playback converters on
the HHB CDB-800 CD recorder are remarkably good.

I've been reading some of this CD vinyl debate, and while I think it's
nonsense to say vinyl is superior to CD, I have noticed that my current
CD/DVD player really sounds quite bad compared to some of the
professional players I've heard.

If it has a digital output, consider buying one of the Benchmark outboard
D/A units and plugging it in. The problem is that most of the higher
grade CD players have dropped out of the market in the past few years.
There are very few really solid units made today, and everybody seems to
want to buy CD changers. For the most part the changers are just terrible
from a mechanical reliability standpoint.

Laurence Payne

On 14 Jun 2005 13:17:01 -0700, "marysue"
wrote:

I know this is a bit off topic, but can anyone recommend a CD player
with good sounding converters for listening to mixes at home.

I've been reading some of this CD vinyl debate, and while I think it's
nonsense to say vinyl is superior to CD, I have noticed that my current
CD/DVD player really sounds quite bad compared to some of the
professional players I've heard.

You might want to look at the interface between CD player and
amplifier. CD players typically output a very robust signal level. I
suspect some cases of reported "harshness" are merely overload at the
amplifier in put.

I'm not suggesting there may not be ANY audible differences between
utility and esoteric CD players today, but I think the differences are
subtle.
Joe Sensor

marysue wrote:
I know this is a bit off topic, but can anyone recommend a CD player
with good sounding converters for listening to mixes at home.

You really aren't going to hear all that much difference among different
players. Maybe if you buy some expensive external converters and hook
them to a player with digital outputs. Even then the difference will be
subtle with *most* people not even to distinguish between the two.

I've been reading some of this CD vinyl debate, and while I think it's
nonsense to say vinyl is superior to CD, I have noticed that my current
CD/DVD player really sounds quite bad compared to some of the
professional players I've heard.

And you had to throw that in why? Superior in what way? Vinyl may not be
superior in many ways. It is certainly not more convenient.

Some people just think records sound better. Is that nonsense?

Some people think 35 mm snapshots and moving pictures look better than
digital pictures and digital video. Is that nonsense, too?
Scott Dorsey

Joe Sensor wrote:
marysue wrote:
I know this is a bit off topic, but can anyone recommend a CD player
with good sounding converters for listening to mixes at home.

You really aren't going to hear all that much difference among different
players. Maybe if you buy some expensive external converters and hook
them to a player with digital outputs. Even then the difference will be
subtle with *most* people not even to distinguish between the two.

I disagree completely. I think the differences between the better players
and some of the cheaper stuff out there is anything but subtle.

But try it and see, and if you don't like the sound, take it back.

Joe Sensor

Scott Dorsey wrote:

I disagree completely. I think the differences between the better players
and some of the cheaper stuff out there is anything but subtle.

Sure, to you. But most people seem to be more than satisfied with MP3s.
Kurt Albershardt

Joe Sensor wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

I disagree completely. I think the differences between the better
players and some of the cheaper stuff out there is anything but subtle.

Sure, to you. But most people seem to be more than satisfied with MP3s.

The OP was asking about better sounding CD players.

Joe Sensor

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

I disagree completely. I think the differences between the better
players and some of the cheaper stuff out there is anything but subtle.

Sure, to you. But most people seem to be more than satisfied with MP3s.

The OP was asking about better sounding CD players.

Yup. And I will be interested in an update to see if she finds one.
Scott Dorsey

Joe Sensor wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

I disagree completely. I think the differences between the better players
and some of the cheaper stuff out there is anything but subtle.

Sure, to you. But most people seem to be more than satisfied with MP3s.

THOSE are the people who most need to be making some sonic comparisons,
because until they do, they'll continue to be satisfied with MP3s.
Arny Krueger

Joe Sensor wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

I disagree completely. I think the differences between

the better
players and some of the cheaper stuff out there is

anything but subtle.

Digital players have become quite a bit better as time has
marched on. If we agree that the best-sounding CD player is
one that plays a CD in such a way that the playback is not
audibly different from the digital master used to make that
CD, then there are quite a few modestly-priced players that
sound as good as the best-sounding ones. I suspect that some
$50 DVD players can hit this mark.

Sure, to you. But most people seem to be more than

satisfied with
MP3s.

Hmmm. In my tests, the audble differences among MP3s and
between MP3s and the origional .wav files are generally far
larger than the differences among good digital players,
including CD players.

Joe Sensor

Arny Krueger wrote:

Hmmm. In my tests, the audble differences among MP3s and
between MP3s and the origional .wav files are generally far
larger than the differences among good digital players,
including CD players.

Of course, yet currently it still seems to be the most popular way to
listen to music. So I guess people just don't give a ****.
dale

there are clocking problems and poor quality DA's with cheap product.
then the analogue cuircuts can be done by accounts and not audio
people.

Nad, Rotel
Linn

J_West

Arny Krueger wrote:

Digital players have become quite a bit better as time has marched on.

I have an old Sony D-35 portable CD player from the mid 80s that sounds
so much better than my living room new CD/DVD player. I just compared
them the other day because I noticed that the home unit sounded
brittle.

I suspect that some $50 DVD players can hit this mark.

If you find one please let me know. With most consumer products,
quality is heading south. I'm having trouble finding a decent quality
coffee maker too.

J_West

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:43:32 GMT

On 2005-06-16
(ScottDorsey) said:
You really aren't going to hear all that much difference among
different players. Maybe if you buy some expensive external
converters and hook them to a player with digital outputs. Even
then the difference will be subtle with *most* people not even to

distinguish between the two. I disagree completely. I think the
differences between the better players and some of the cheaper
stuff out there is anything but subtle. But try it and see, and if
you don't like the sound, take it back. --scott

Ditto. GOing to be looking for a decent player which can be rack
mounted when I want one in my live rig occasionally. I find too many
of the consumer players are not good sounding and too many bells and
whistles. I'm sorry but spending a couple pictures of Mr. Franklin
and then having this plastic paperweight inside of two years is a bit
ridiculous. Hence my current disk player is one of those walkman type
players which I keep feeding aa batteries and plug into my mixer when
I want to listen to a disk. I'm not really hip to shuffle play and
all that, I either want to listen to the whole damned album or maybe
listen to a piece I'm wanting to learn. A way to jog back a bit while
writing down the words to a song or catching a chord progression might
be nice, but otherwise good sound and rugged preferrably rackable
would be my criteria for my next cd player. MEans I won't be going to
any of the consumer electronics joints.

Richard Webb,
Electric SPider Productions, New Orleans, La.
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

Generally,
CD/DVD players don't sound as good as a regular CD players. There are
some good ones out there such as an Arcam, Meridian and a few other hi
end players. But now your talking around $1500 plus for a DVD/CD
player.

Stan

Paul Stamler

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Joe Sensor wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

I disagree completely. I think the differences between

the better
players and some of the cheaper stuff out there is

anything but subtle.

Digital players have become quite a bit better as time has
marched on. If we agree that the best-sounding CD player is
one that plays a CD in such a way that the playback is not
audibly different from the digital master used to make that
CD,

The digital master as played back through what? If it goes through an
external converter, and the CD does too, and the converter's any good, then
they should sound identical. But if the digital master's played back
through, say, a Lynx card and the cheap CD player uses its own audio
circuits, it's very unlikely that they'll sound the same.

Peace,
Paul

Paul Stamler

"J_West" wrote in message
ups.com...

I suspect that some $50 DVD players can hit this mark.

If you find one please let me know. With most consumer products,
quality is heading south. I'm having trouble finding a decent quality
coffee maker too.

Get a Melitta funnel, the 4-cup size. (The one-cup size makes equally good
coffee, but it's more likely to splash on the countertop.)

Peace,
Paul

Julian

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:53:12 GMT, "Paul Stamler"
wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote
Digital players have become quite a bit better as time has
marched on. If we agree that the best-sounding CD player is
one that plays a CD in such a way that the playback is not
audibly different from the digital master used to make that
CD,

The digital master as played back through what? If it goes through an
external converter, and the CD does too, and the converter's any good, then
they should sound identical. But if the digital master's played back
through, say, a Lynx card and the cheap CD player uses its own audio
circuits, it's very unlikely that they'll sound the same.

I have to agree with you there Paul.

I'd also like to mention an experience I had about 10 years ago. I
went to a HiFi store and asked the quality of various CD players he
sold. He compared a certain CD (don't remember what) that had a lot
of openness to the sound and subtle ambience. he auditioned an Onkyo
player that was maybe $400 or $500 with the a "standard" model for
$150 or $200 played back on his best amp speaker combination. The
was a VERY noticeable difference in the detail, the Onkyo being much
much more detailed, it was quite amazing.

So I suspect the differences between a $200 and a $400 CD player are
probably neglible these days, but it sure was noticeable back then.

Julian

Arny Krueger

Joe Sensor wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:

Hmmm. In my tests, the audble differences among MP3s and
between MP3s and the origional .wav files are generally

far
larger than the differences among good digital players,
including CD players.

Of course, yet currently it still seems to be the most

popular way to
listen to music. So I guess people just don't give a ****.

I suspect its just a matter of costs and benefits.

In the days of vinyl, most music lovers hated the nasty
artifacts of vinyl. For a price one could avoid the nasty
artifacts of vinyl quite nicely with high speed, wide-format
analog tape. Yet, not many people paid the price.

Arny Krueger

dale wrote:

there are clocking problems and poor quality DA's with

cheap product.

Here's someone who has obviously never done any serious
technical or listening tests of the current run of cheap
good players.

The last $40 DVD player I took apart was based on a Crystal
Semiconductor DA rated for operation at 24/192 and with 90
dB dynamic range. There was no problem with clock stability
at all.

The player also sounded good - its most objectionable
problems for me was that it was mechanically fragile and
eventually one channel stopped working while it was in
storage.

then the analogue cuircuts can be done by accounts and not

audio people.

You don't need a lot of expensive parts to drive 2 vrms into
a 10K load.

Arny Krueger

Joe Sensor wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

I disagree completely. I think the differences between

the better
players and some of the cheaper stuff out there is

anything but subtle.

Digital players have become quite a bit better as time

has
marched on. If we agree that the best-sounding CD player

is
one that plays a CD in such a way that the playback is

not
audibly different from the digital master used to make

that
CD,

The digital master as played back through what?

Whatever you'd like, as long as its demonstrably accurate.

If it goes through an
external converter, and the CD does too, and the

converter's any
good, then they should sound identical.

That's true but I would consider that to be begging the
question.

But if the digital master's
played back through, say, a Lynx card and the cheap CD

player uses
its own audio circuits, it's very unlikely that they'll

sound the
same.

I've done the comparison with my own LynxTWO. I did it with
my own Card Deluxe. They are great interfaces and I love
working with them. However, good sound can be had far more
inexpensively.

Phil Allison

"marysue"

I know this is a bit off topic, but can anyone recommend a CD player
with good sounding converters for listening to mixes at home.

** This looks like a clever troll.

** ****ing in the pockets of the vinylphobes .......

I have noticed that my current
CD/DVD player really sounds quite bad compared to some of the
professional players I've heard.

** No attempt made to justify an utterly meaningless claim.

Mary Sue

** Really ?

Then my name is Phil Lament - just a tad brighter that you think.

........... Phil

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Can you even find $200 and $400 CD players these days?

http://www.fullcompass.com/products/...s.aspx?cat=694

That's no fair. You had to look. All I see at that link is a list of
CD players, no prices. I guess you have to click on each one to see
how much it costs - and being Full Compass, the price is probalby
"call." But from the looks of the names and models, some of which are
familiar to me, they all seem to be commercial/industrial types and I
don't think that's really what we're talking about here. They cost
$200 more than a consumer player not because they sound better, but
because they're rack-mountable and perhaps have some play features
that are important to certain kinds of installations and applications.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Peter

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

Can you even find $200 and $400 CD players these days? It seems that
they're either well under $200 (even the hundred-slot changers) or
well over $500 for a serious audiophile player (which may sound a bit
better than a $19.95 player)

Yes, you can indeed find quite a number of CD players if you look for them
in the "Professional" listings.

For instance I have what I believe to be quite a good CD player by Marantz,
the PMD325, which features balanced XLR outputs, Index Search, digital
output, etc., i.e. a number of features which even many of the so-called
high-end CD players do not offer. I also think that this player sounds
quite good. I only paid $369 for it brand new including shipping.

"Professional" equipment does not feature fancy machined front panels or
other visual niceties, but it is usually built quite well because if it
would fail during a broadcast, or similar activity, all hell would break
loose.

Mike Rivers

In article "Peter" writes:

Yes, you can indeed find quite a number of CD players if you look for them
in the "Professional" listings.

For instance I have what I believe to be quite a good CD player by Marantz,
the PMD325, which features balanced XLR outputs, Index Search, digital
output, etc., i.e. a number of features which even many of the so-called
high-end CD players do not offer. I also think that this player sounds
quite good. I only paid $369 for it brand new including shipping.

Features, features, features - that's what you get when you look at
"professonal" CD players - things that DJs and broadcast production
rooms need (including rack mounting and operating levels that
interface with other professional gear) that people buying for their
living rooms don't need. Arny says that a number of sub-$100 players
he's used recently also "sound quite good."

"Professional" equipment does not feature fancy machined front panels or
other visual niceties, but it is usually built quite well because if it
would fail during a broadcast, or similar activity, all hell would break
loose.

Still, there are only a few manufacturers of disk transport
mechanisms, and they've gotta use one of those. That's the most
vulnerable part. Switches rarely fail because so many people, even in
industrial and broadcast applications, use remote control. So the
question is - how do you make them sound bettter? Good sounding D/A
converter chips are cheap so there's no reason not to use a good one.
But what makes a difference is a good power supply, good analog
design, and good engineering to keep the digital and analog parts from
interfering with each other.

Usually you find those design considerations first in an audiophile
product because the industrial users don't need or demand audiophile
performance. As you suggest, they want ruggedness and reliability,
they want something that installs easily, and they want something
that's cheap enough so that they can replace it quickly when it fails.

So, I guess I didn't really ask the right question (prompted,
admittedly, but another posting) when I asked about price alone. I'll
try again: Are there CD players in the $200-$400 range that are better
designed, engineered, and constructed for better sound than the $50
ones?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Loren Amelang

On 18 Jun 2005 09:49:43 -0400, (Mike Rivers)
wrote:
Features, features, features - that's what you get when you look at
"professonal" CD players - things that DJs and broadcast production
rooms need (including rack mounting and operating levels that
interface with other professional gear) that people buying for their
living rooms don't need. Arny says that a number of sub-$100 players
he's used recently also "sound quite good."

Still, there are only a few manufacturers of disk transport
mechanisms, and they've gotta use one of those. That's the most
vulnerable part.

I've been wondering about that very question. When you say "disk
transport mechanism" do you mean the just the spindle motor and
controller, laser head and its movement controller, and whatever
electromechanical devices are needed to get the disc in and out of
playing position? Or is the electronics to collect and process laser
bits into S/PDIF or whatever is the first "audio" signal format
included in the "transport"?

My question corresponds to back in the day, when some reel-to-reel
tape fanatics would wire outboard preamp-equalizers directly to their
playback heads to bypass the built-in low-level electronics. What is
the "lowest" level at which a designer of exotic CD players can take
control of the audio?

I suspect the lowest level I've had access to is the 5 Volt version of
S/PDIF that comes out the back of computer CD drives. I've been
comparing all the drives I get my hands on into the same external DAC,
and there are dramatic differences, with absolutely no correlation to
brand name or price. Is that digital output earlier or later in the
signal chain than the digital jack on the back of a pro or high-end CD
player? In my experience PC drive digital outputs sound better than
the few fancy CD player digital outs I've tried.

Loren
anahata

Loren Amelang wrote:

I suspect the lowest level I've had access to is the 5 Volt version of
S/PDIF that comes out the back of computer CD drives. I've been
comparing all the drives I get my hands on into the same external DAC,
and there are dramatic differences, with absolutely no correlation to
brand name or price. Is that digital output earlier or later in the
signal chain than the digital jack on the back of a pro or high-end CD
player? In my experience PC drive digital outputs sound better than
the few fancy CD player digital outs I've tried.

I guess it's in the same place in the signal chain.
To the best of my knowledge the chain goes something like this:

1. reading and decoding the data signal off the CD
2. Correcting correctable errors (where redundancy of data enables the
exact data patterm to be recovered)
3. For audio, correction of uncorrectable errors by interpolation or
similar
(3a) S/PDIF output at this stage
4. D-A conversion (this is also the stage where all the oversampling
etc. happens)

Assuming all players do stage 2 correctly, the only way I can account
for differences between one player and another at the digital output
level is:

* stage 3 is done differently
* stage 1 is done with different levels of accuracy, resulting in
different amounts of errors that have to be corrected at stage 3

--
Anahata
-+- http://www.treewind.co.uk
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

When you say "disk
transport mechanism" do you mean the just the spindle motor and
controller, laser head and its movement controller, and whatever
electromechanical devices are needed to get the disc in and out of
playing position? Or is the electronics to collect and process laser
bits into S/PDIF or whatever is the first "audio" signal format
included in the "transport"?

I don't know. I've never built a CD player so I don't know were the
hard parts stop. I was thinking of the mechanical parts which would
include the laser and servo. But I know that there are people who will
argue that the mechanical stability doesn't matter as long as you have
a buffer big enough so that you can always clock the data out at a
constant rate. But if it was all that simple, we wouldn't be having
this discussion.

My question corresponds to back in the day, when some reel-to-reel
tape fanatics would wire outboard preamp-equalizers directly to their
playback heads to bypass the built-in low-level electronics. What is
the "lowest" level at which a designer of exotic CD players can take
control of the audio?

I suppose it depends on the economics. If you can buy a good-enough
transport so that you can make a really good CD player by attaching a
really good D/A converter then it's cheaper not to make your own
transport. Putting outboard electronics on a tape deck is exactly
analogous to using an outboard preamp rather than a console's (or
recorder's) mic preamp. You can make a better one than the
manufacturer built in, so if you want better audio quality, this is
one way you can improve it.

The question is, can you make the best CD player you can imagine by
taking a $50 CD player and connecting its digital output to a $6,000
D/A converter? Or can you make it even better if you built a $6,000
transport too? I don't know.

I suspect the lowest level I've had access to is the 5 Volt version of
S/PDIF that comes out the back of computer CD drives. I've been
comparing all the drives I get my hands on into the same external DAC,
and there are dramatic differences, with absolutely no correlation to
brand name or price.

Well, I guess that answers one question. Have you tried several
samples of the same brand of drive to see if there's consistency
there?

Is that digital output earlier or later in the
signal chain than the digital jack on the back of a pro or high-end CD
player?

Probably earlier, but maybe not much earlier - if it's even the same.
I don't know how much, electronics-wise, a computer drive and audio
drive have have in common. I guess that you're suggesting that you
could build a better than average CD player out of a computer CD drive
and a decent D/A converter. How good is, say, an M-Audio Flying Cow or
Super DAC? Good enough?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Scott Dorsey

In article znr1119136044k@trad, Mike Rivers wrote:
In article writes:
When you say "disk
transport mechanism" do you mean the just the spindle motor and
controller, laser head and its movement controller, and whatever
electromechanical devices are needed to get the disc in and out of
playing position? Or is the electronics to collect and process laser
bits into S/PDIF or whatever is the first "audio" signal format
included in the "transport"?

I don't know. I've never built a CD player so I don't know were the
hard parts stop. I was thinking of the mechanical parts which would
include the laser and servo. But I know that there are people who will
argue that the mechanical stability doesn't matter as long as you have
a buffer big enough so that you can always clock the data out at a
constant rate. But if it was all that simple, we wouldn't be having
this discussion.

It doesn't matter as long as you can always clock the data out at a
constant rate and the _error rate is zero_. That last bit is a surprisingly
big issue.

Also, of course, most of the CD players today with crappy mechanics
break down. I don't like it when things break down. I want something
built like a tank so it won't break.

My question corresponds to back in the day, when some reel-to-reel
tape fanatics would wire outboard preamp-equalizers directly to their
playback heads to bypass the built-in low-level electronics. What is
the "lowest" level at which a designer of exotic CD players can take
control of the audio?

I suppose it depends on the economics. If you can buy a good-enough
transport so that you can make a really good CD player by attaching a
really good D/A converter then it's cheaper not to make your own
transport. Putting outboard electronics on a tape deck is exactly
analogous to using an outboard preamp rather than a console's (or
recorder's) mic preamp. You can make a better one than the
manufacturer built in, so if you want better audio quality, this is
one way you can improve it.

Right, and the CD player/seperate DAC thing has been SOP in the high
end world for twenty years now.

The question is, can you make the best CD player you can imagine by
taking a $50 CD player and connecting its digital output to a $6,000
D/A converter? Or can you make it even better if you built a $6,000
transport too? I don't know.

If you build a $6,000 transport, you'll find that it lasts longer than
the $50 transport, and discs that skip on the $50 transport play fine
on the $6,000 one. You -might- also find that disks which sound fuzzy
and without detail due to high error rates on the $50 transport might
sound fine on the $6,000 one, since the error rate is lower.

I suspect the lowest level I've had access to is the 5 Volt version of
S/PDIF that comes out the back of computer CD drives. I've been
comparing all the drives I get my hands on into the same external DAC,
and there are dramatic differences, with absolutely no correlation to
brand name or price.

Well, I guess that answers one question. Have you tried several
samples of the same brand of drive to see if there's consistency
there?

My questions:
- what is that external DAC? Does it clock properly?
- have you tried measuring the error rate on the drive?

Is that digital output earlier or later in the
signal chain than the digital jack on the back of a pro or high-end CD
player?

Probably earlier, but maybe not much earlier - if it's even the same.

It probably is about the same thing. Be aware, though, that the computer
CD drives are much crappier and tend to have much higher error rates than
the audio drives, because they can get away with it.

anahata

Scott Dorsey wrote:
the computer
CD drives are much crappier and tend to have much higher error rates than
the audio drives, because they can get away with it.

I'm not too sure about that. When they are used for computer data they
have to be error free in the data seen by the computer. I do appreciate
that in CD-ROM mode the error correction mechanism is stronger and the
re-reading the data is an option, but you have somehow to get a good
enough copy of the data to be able to correct the errors. Because they
are produced in large numbers they are cheap, but that doesn't
necessarily mean thay are crappy.

A much more likely difference is that computer CD drives will have the
cheapest possible 1-chip solution for analog audio output.

--
Anahata
-+- http://www.treewind.co.uk
Home: 01638 720444 Mob: 07976 263827
Scott Dorsey

anahata wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
the computer
CD drives are much crappier and tend to have much higher error rates than
the audio drives, because they can get away with it.

I'm not too sure about that. When they are used for computer data they
have to be error free in the data seen by the computer. I do appreciate
that in CD-ROM mode the error correction mechanism is stronger and the
re-reading the data is an option, but you have somehow to get a good
enough copy of the data to be able to correct the errors. Because they
are produced in large numbers they are cheap, but that doesn't
necessarily mean thay are crappy.

If you don't believe me, put a scope on the error line and watch it.
Play a good CD-R, then play the error test tracks on the Denon Audio
Test CD. What you see on a generic CD-ROM drive is a lot of bouncing
around. That said, I bet you don't see the same thing on a Kodak or
Plextor drive.

A much more likely difference is that computer CD drives will have the
cheapest possible 1-chip solution for analog audio output.

We're not talking about using the analogue output, we're talking about
using the digital outputs only. The original poster asked how, using
the same outboard converter, all these transports sounded different.
Loren Amelang

On 18 Jun 2005 20:34:18 -0400, (Mike Rivers)
wrote:
In article
writes:
I suspect the lowest level I've had access to is the 5 Volt version of
S/PDIF that comes out the back of computer CD drives. I've been
comparing all the drives I get my hands on into the same external DAC,
and there are dramatic differences, with absolutely no correlation to
brand name or price.

Well, I guess that answers one question. Have you tried several
samples of the same brand of drive to see if there's consistency
there?

No, I haven't had that opportunity. (In the computer hardware world,
unless you buy them all at one time, you'll never see the exact same
model again. Probably not even the same brand, but they all seem to
come from the same plant in Taiwan.)

Is that digital output earlier or later in the
signal chain than the digital jack on the back of a pro or high-end CD
player?

Probably earlier, but maybe not much earlier - if it's even the same.
I don't know how much, electronics-wise, a computer drive and audio
drive have have in common. I guess that you're suggesting that you
could build a better than average CD player out of a computer CD drive
and a decent D/A converter. How good is, say, an M-Audio Flying Cow or
Super DAC? Good enough?

I haven't heard either of those. The one I'm using is the ART DI/O,
which got rave reviews on the high-end groups a few years ago. It is
still my favorite for a DAC priced in hundreds of dollars. Sounds
cleaner than the "24/192" DAC in my latest top-end Sony living room
player.

Loren
Scott Dorsey

writes:
I suspect the lowest level I've had access to is the 5 Volt version of
S/PDIF that comes out the back of computer CD drives. I've been
comparing all the drives I get my hands on into the same external DAC,
and there are dramatic differences, with absolutely no correlation to
brand name or price.

Well, I guess that answers one question. Have you tried several
samples of the same brand of drive to see if there's consistency
there?

My questions:
- what is that external DAC? Does it clock properly?

I'm using the ART DI/O. It auto-synchs to the incoming signal, so I
guess that puts the clock stability of the CD drive at the heart of
this.

I'd run out immediately and see about getting a better DAC. I would
not be feeling very secure about the clock stability in the ART box.

- have you tried measuring the error rate on the drive?

No, I haven't dug that deeply. Can it be done relatively simply and
non-destructively? If I pop the lid off the drive, is there going to
be a test point marked "error" or something? What do I look for there?

You might need the manual, or at least the data sheet for one of the
chips. Look at the chip that the audio output comes off of... you
will probably see two error pins on it that you can look at.

But I would first _strongly_ suggest using a better DAC and retesting
before doing anything else.
Loren Amelang

On 19 Jun 2005 17:58:23 -0400, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Loren Amelang wrote:

writes:
I suspect the lowest level I've had access to is the 5 Volt version of
S/PDIF that comes out the back of computer CD drives. I've been
comparing all the drives I get my hands on into the same external DAC,
and there are dramatic differences, with absolutely no correlation to
brand name or price.

My questions:
- what is that external DAC? Does it clock properly?

I'm using the ART DI/O. It auto-synchs to the incoming signal, so I
guess that puts the clock stability of the CD drive at the heart of
this.

I'd run out immediately and see about getting a better DAC. I would
not be feeling very secure about the clock stability in the ART box.

Maybe I'm beyond my knowledge level here, but I'm under the impression
there are basically two kinds of external DACs - those that synch to
the incoming signal and reproduce its jitter, and those that buffer
and re-clock the signal using their own hopefully more stable internal
clock. Unless I switch to a re-clocking DAC, could there be any clock
stability improvement?

I guess there could be a situation where the flaws in a DAC happen to
interact with the flaws in the signal sources to bias the comparative
results, but it would be unlikely any particular combination would end
up sounding _better_ than it would using a re-clocking DAC.

Actually, doesn't it depend on what you are listening for? If you want
to compare jitter from different drives, you can't re-clock. If you
want to compare error correction, then re-clocking will hide clock
variables and leave error handling as the obvious difference.

Loren
Scott Dorsey

Loren Amelang wrote:

Maybe I'm beyond my knowledge level here, but I'm under the impression
there are basically two kinds of external DACs - those that synch to
the incoming signal and reproduce its jitter, and those that buffer
and re-clock the signal using their own hopefully more stable internal
clock. Unless I switch to a re-clocking DAC, could there be any clock
stability improvement?

Pretty much all of the decent DACs today buffer the clock. They usually
have a PLL which locks to the external clock, and provides an internal
reference.

SOME of them have really lousy PLLs that don't produce a very good
output.

I guess there could be a situation where the flaws in a DAC happen to
interact with the flaws in the signal sources to bias the comparative
results, but it would be unlikely any particular combination would end
up sounding _better_ than it would using a re-clocking DAC.

It depends on how lousy the reclocking DAC is. There are some that
have huge amounts of phase noise on them because their PLL circuits
were designed by people who had no idea what they were doing.

Actually, doesn't it depend on what you are listening for? If you want
to compare jitter from different drives, you can't re-clock. If you
want to compare error correction, then re-clocking will hide clock
variables and leave error handling as the obvious difference.

The question is whether there are audible differences between drives
that _aren't_ caused by jitter. If your converters are abnormally
sensitive to input clock jitter, that will swamp the other differences
that you want to be looking at.