Default Sony Budokan walkman--- Anyone remember this thing?

I know, not really the appropriate venue for this discussion, but I
figured if there was a group of people on the Internet that might
contain someone who owns one of these "holy grail" items, this would be
it.
I remember coveting it as a child, seeing it in the display at the
department store, price tag around $300.00 (in the early 80's).
It's a Sony cassette Walkman with something like 2 Watts of power
running into huge sealed cans.
Notice how little you will find about this thing on the web.
I am pretty sure I have the spelling right, as I did find a few hits on
this.
Anyone own one? Where can I find one?
I already own the other piece of covetted 80's electronic relics of my
childhood dreams, the Conion 100F Boom box.

philicorda

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:44:19 -0800, geo wrote:

I know, not really the appropriate venue for this discussion, but I
figured if there was a group of people on the Internet that might
contain someone who owns one of these "holy grail" items, this would be
it.
I remember coveting it as a child, seeing it in the display at the
department store, price tag around $300.00 (in the early 80's).
It's a Sony cassette Walkman with something like 2 Watts of power
running into huge sealed cans.
Notice how little you will find about this thing on the web.
I am pretty sure I have the spelling right, as I did find a few hits on
this.
Anyone own one? Where can I find one?
I already own the other piece of covetted 80's electronic relics of my
childhood dreams, the Conion 100F Boom box.

Can't help sorry.
I'm still looking for a Seiko drum machine wrist watch.

Scott Dorsey

In article . com,
wrote:
I know, not really the appropriate venue for this discussion, but I
figured if there was a group of people on the Internet that might
contain someone who owns one of these "holy grail" items, this would be
it.

I remember seeing a display for these things at Sound Warehouse in Atlanta
and thinking it sounded pretty awful, actually. But what I remember about
it is that it was spelled weirdly... something like BOODOO KHAN.

Notice how little you will find about this thing on the web.
I am pretty sure I have the spelling right, as I did find a few hits on
this.
Anyone own one? Where can I find one?

I doubt that very many of them were ever sold in the US. Not too many
folks really wanted to buy an overpowered walkman even with bizarrely
exaggerated low end. But you might try a letter to Sony.

I already own the other piece of covetted 80's electronic relics of my
childhood dreams, the Conion 100F Boom box.

Have you considered seeing a doctor about this?
blackberry blackberry is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Dorsey View Post
In article . com,
wrote:
[...]

Hi Geo, I was just listening to an old 80's song by the band Berlin and remembering my Bodo Kahn walkman, so I googled it and found your post.

I once was a proud owner of the Sony Bodo Kahn http://www.walkmancentral.com/products/dd-100

At the time in perhaps 1986 I paid $400.00 even for it. I had to work my part time job during grade 10 for a couple months to be able to pay for it.

This I am sure was the high mark of walkmans, I am certain there was never one more expensive or with better sound, the first Sony portable CD Player came out the maybe 5 months later that year, I remember well as my buddy purchased it when it came out, so he could one up me.

It was a great unit in its day, I never met or saw anyone else who ever owned one.

cody_748 cody_748 is offline
Junior Member

I just happened to run across this thread and got me to thinking.... i think i have one of those in a drawer... im gonna go check.