Bill Pallies

Default Silk v. Metal v. Ceramic...

Just wondering what the general tonal differences are between the various
tweeter materials. For some reason, I tend to think that, for example, silk
tweets are smoother sounding than titanium. I base this solely on my
experience with the materials themselves. Silk's all soft and, umm, silky.
Titanium is all hard and stuff :-). So therefore the way a material *feels*
like in life is what is *sounds* like when oscillated several thousand times
a second, right? Well, for some reason, I doubt my theory... Anybody know
the general characteristics?

-Bill

-E-F-F-E-N-D-I-

Your theory is pretty on point. A lot of higher end speaker manufacturers
give you a choice of titanium or silk tweeters in their component sets due
to their different characteristics. Silk dome tweeters are known to be a bit
more smooth but not as bright and harsh. Titanium on the other hand is very
metallic sounding and bright. It is a good choice if you listen to a lot of
rap. Silk dome is more suited for softer music types like classical. But
there are other kinds too, neodymium, titanium alloys, even layered cone
tweeters. I have seen some of Pioneers and they even use damping material
inside of a small sealed enclosure for their flagship series of components.
Its hard to choose what to buy unless you hear them; some will sound
differently installed and tuned/filtered regardless of material used.

EFFENDI

"Bill Pallies" wrote in message
. ..
Just wondering what the general tonal differences are between the various
tweeter materials. For some reason, I tend to think that, for example,

silk
tweets are smoother sounding than titanium. I base this solely on my
experience with the materials themselves. Silk's all soft and, umm, silky.
Titanium is all hard and stuff :-). So therefore the way a material

*feels*
like in life is what is *sounds* like when oscillated several thousand

times
a second, right? Well, for some reason, I doubt my theory... Anybody know
the general characteristics?

-Bill

Mark Zarella

Your theory is pretty on point. A lot of higher end speaker manufacturers
give you a choice of titanium or silk tweeters in their component sets due
to their different characteristics. Silk dome tweeters are known to be a

bit
more smooth but not as bright and harsh. Titanium on the other hand is

very
metallic sounding and bright. It is a good choice if you listen to a lot

of
rap. Silk dome is more suited for softer music types like classical.

This isn't off the mark, but let it be known that it's just a
generalization. Not true all the time.

But
there are other kinds too, neodymium,

That's not a cone/dome type.

titanium alloys, even layered cone
tweeters.

DJ TecThreat

i know it isnt any of the types you mentioned here, but.. i like Paper coned
speakers.. to me, paper sounds better than metal and ceramic... but silk
would be in my list.

DJ TecThreat

"Bill Pallies" wrote in message
. ..
Just wondering what the general tonal differences are between the various
tweeter materials. For some reason, I tend to think that, for example,

silk
tweets are smoother sounding than titanium. I base this solely on my
experience with the materials themselves. Silk's all soft and, umm, silky.
Titanium is all hard and stuff :-). So therefore the way a material

*feels*
like in life is what is *sounds* like when oscillated several thousand

times
a second, right? Well, for some reason, I doubt my theory... Anybody know
the general characteristics?

-Bill

-E-F-F-E-N-D-I-

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
. ..
Your theory is pretty on point. A lot of higher end speaker

manufacturers
give you a choice of titanium or silk tweeters in their component sets

due
to their different characteristics. Silk dome tweeters are known to be a

bit
more smooth but not as bright and harsh. Titanium on the other hand is

very
metallic sounding and bright. It is a good choice if you listen to a lot

of
rap. Silk dome is more suited for softer music types like classical.

This isn't off the mark, but let it be known that it's just a
generalization. Not true all the time.

But
there are other kinds too, neodymium,

That's not a cone/dome type.

I know but thanks for pointing it out. I was high when i wrote that. Its
for medical purpose dont worry. I dont condone the use of marijuana for
recreational purposes.

titanium alloys, even layered cone
tweeters.

DJ TecThreat

"-E-F-F-E-N-D-I-" wrote in message

[...]

ROFLMAO.... the lies just get deeper and deeper...

You's a funny dude.

DJ TecThreat

FogHornLegHorn

Correct me if I'm wrong.... but I was under the impression that "neodymium"
is a type of magnet?
Yes....a type of magnet mainly used for tweeters...

personally... I like silk.
ever since I heard my first set of MB pints.... I'll never go with a metal
based tweeter.

FHLH.....

"-E-F-F-E-N-D-I-" wrote in message
[...]

Soundfreak03

I know but thanks for pointing it out. I was high when i wrote that. Its
for medical purpose dont worry. I dont condone the use of marijuana for
recreational purposes.

ROFLMAO.... the lies just get deeper and deeper...

You's a funny dude.

DJ TecThreat

See I told you guys he was pretty funny. Although he doesnt respond to me as
much anymore. But at least now he is trying to make up a reason for being such
a dumbass, but hey maybe he was, when you are as dumb as him already what do
you have to lose? So me and DJ here will keep laughing just keep posting
Julian, err ummm, I mean effendi.

OP: It is hard to describe sound. We all think differently about what words
mean. For example bright or sibilance, to you it could be bad but to me a good
thing. Go to a stereo store, even a chain one will work ok, and listen to all
the different types. Do some blind testing where you do not know what type you
are listening too and let your ears, not preconcieved notions, do the thinking.

Paul Vina

personally... I like silk.
ever since I heard my first set of MB pints.... I'll never go with a metal
based tweeter.

Listen to a set of upper end Focals. They will change the way you think
about hard dome tweeters. They sound better than a load of silk domes.

Paul Vina