Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Hypatia Nachshon Hypatia Nachshon is offline

Default Which RF headphones?

These would be mostly for watching TV. Though I am not a hard-core audiophile, I AM suffering from the terrible sound from the (fairly new TV) speakers. Unfortunately newer TVs do not have port for headphone jacks -- stupid!!!

So I am considering 3 Sennheiser RF phones. Which of the below do Hon. Members think would be adequate for mostly talk:

RS 120
RS 130
RS 160

Money IS a factor, alas, so I want to get the biggest bank for my limited buck.

Your input appreciated.

Higgs Boson

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:03:44 AM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
These would be mostly for watching TV. Though I am not a hard-core audiophile, I AM suffering from the terrible sound from the (fairly new TV) speakers. Unfortunately newer TVs do not have port for headphone jacks -- stupid!!!

So I am considering 3 Sennheiser RF phones. Which of the below do Hon. Members think would be adequate for mostly talk:

RS 120

RS 130

RS 160

Money IS a factor, alas, so I want to get the biggest bank for my limited buck.

Your input appreciated.

Higgs Boson

Would appreciate input on the following ad on Amazon for RS 120 headphones.

"Sennheiser Urbanite
The new Urbanite headphones deliver intense club sound, serving up solid bass with Sennheiser's uncompromising clarity through the entire frequency range. Available in on-ear and over-ear versions in a variety of colors to suit your style. Shop now"

What does "intense club sound" mean? ditto "solid bass"??

Given that I am a female, so genetically programmed to prefer more treble and less bass,
would I be making a mistake ordering these headphones?

Could you interpret the above phrases for me?

TIA

HB

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Friday, October 3, 2014 3:55:07 PM UTC-4, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:03:44 AM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrot=

e:
=20
[...]

A few generic things first, and this particular venue does not permit true =
rants, so I will tone down my usual headphone advice using less strident la=
nguage than I usually do.

a) Avoid ear buds or _ANY_ headphone that actually impinges on or into the =
ear canal. This is almost a guaranteed pathway to hearing damage. Headphone=
s if abused in any case can (and often do) cause hearing damage, but buds a=
re the worst.=20
b) If you want to isolate yourself when using the headphones, use a closed =
design - that is, one that shuts out ambient sound to a significant extent.=
=20
c) if not, you might consider open-air headphones.=20

All that being written, Sennheiser has an excellent reputation and makes ge=
nerally decent products. The phrase "intense club sound" means that it will=
produce high volume without breaking up. "Solid Bass" means that it will g=
enerally favor the thumping 'club sound' where bass is more of a visceral e=
xperience than an audible one. All of the above is "Madison Avenue" for LOU=
D, THUMPING SOUND. And not what you want unless you favor that level of sou=
nd and your ears are (probably) already damaged. So, this is Sennheiser's a=
nswer to Beats and any of several other headphones offered to those favorin=
g club sound.=20

I suggest you up the ante some and go for the very top-line Sennheisers ava=
ilable. Do so only on the basis that you may return them if you are not ple=
ased, and give yourself some time. That is, if you want to limit yourself t=
o purpose-built wireless units. You DO have other options.

1) Through Amazon, search for a Wireless Headphone Amplifier. You will be l=
ead to a blue-tooth unit that will drive any conventional headphone, greatl=
y increasing your options.=20

2) Then, look up GRADO headphones still made in Brooklyn, NY. You should be=
able to do both items for about the same cost (or less) than the basic Sen=
nheiser. With the future flexibility that the Sennheisers will not have.=20

Good luck with it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA=20
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mat Nieuwenhoven Mat Nieuwenhoven is offline

On 10 Sep 2014 18:03:44 GMT, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:

These would be mostly for watching TV. Though I am not a hard-core audiophile,

I AM suffering from the terrible sound from the (fairly new TV) speakers. Unfortunately newer TVs do not have port for headphone jacks -- stupid!!!

So I am considering 3 Sennheiser RF phones. Which of the below do Hon. Members think would be adequate for mostly talk:

RS 120
RS 130
RS 160

Money IS a factor, alas, so I want to get the biggest bank for my limited buck.

If your TV doesn't have an earphone output, how are you going to drive
the phones? Does it have built-in Bluetooth support for phones?

If it doesn't have to be wireless or you find a separate wireless
driver (e.g. Bluetooth based), consider Teufel Aureol real. IMO very
open sound, not bass heavy, neutral, transparent at the high end. Very
light (190 grams), if I wear it for 5 hours it still doesn't irritate,
even though is is over-ear which I don't like.

Mat Nieuwenhoven (not an audio pro)

headphones RichD Pro Audio 96 October 27th 11 12:10 PM
USB Headphones hack - Soldering a 3.5mm plug instead of the headphones [email protected] Tech 10 September 17th 07 11:39 PM
[eBay] FS: Headphones AKAI ASE 22, nice headphones vintage ... very low starting price ... 2 Euro!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meadow_61 Marketplace 0 November 11th 06 10:00 PM
Seeking Recommendations for Open Headphones and Closed Headphones Mike Audio Opinions 1 September 1st 06 01:51 AM
Headphones for under $200 Body Roll General 12 August 24th 06 12:56 PM