Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default Ideal Amplifier Definition

This ought to convince even the hardest heads among us that the term "Ideal
Amplifier" is a legitimate technical term with a concrete, and well
understood meaning. Again, it has nothing to do with taste or aesthetics. It
simply means what it means.

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier

"An ideal amplifier would be a totally linear device, but real amplifiers are
only linear within limits."

Brown University Dept. of Engineering:

http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Eng...res/AmpLec05.h
tml

"An ideal amplifier will pass the input signal through to the output
undistorted but enlarged (gain set by user), with no delay. It will not be
affected by the output impedance of the source (sensor). In addition the
ideal amplifier will be able to drive any load: supply any current."

University of Alberta Physics Department:

http://www.piclist.com/images/ca/ual...h/phys395/note
s/node101.html

"The following are properties of an ideal amplifier, which to a good
approximation are obeyed by an operational amplifier:

1. large forward transfer function,
2. virtually nonexistent reverse transfer function,
3. large input impedance, (any signal can be supplied to the op-amp
without loading problems),
4. small output impedance, (the power supplied by the op-amp is not
limited),
5. wide bandwidth, and
6. infinite gain,"

Want to continue arguing this point? I can cite more examples if needed.

Audio_Empire

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 20:21:36 -0700, ScottW wrote
(in article ):

On Mar 18, 7:38=A0am, Audio Empire wrote:
This ought to convince even the hardest heads among us that the term "Ideal
Amplifier" is a legitimate technical term with a concrete, and well
understood meaning. Again, it has nothing to do with taste or aesthetics. It
simply means what it means.

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier

"An ideal amplifier would be a totally linear device, but real amplifiers
are
only linear within limits."

Before the argument that no such thing as an ideal amp exists is
posed, I would add that the limits within which audio amplifiers must
be linear (including the limits of said linearity) are so benign that
ideal amplifiers within the limits required for audio amps are the
norm rather than the exception.

ScottW

Irrelevant to the point, Scott. Just admit that you were wrong and that the
term "Ideal Amplifier" is, in fact, a legitimate technical term that has
nothing whatsoever to do taste or aesthetics, and move on.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:58:10 -0700, ScottW wrote
(in article ):

On Mar 18, 7:38am, Audio Empire wrote:
This ought to convince even the hardest heads among us that the term "Ideal
Amplifier" is a legitimate technical term with a concrete, and well
understood meaning. Again, it has nothing to do with taste or aesthetics. It
simply means what it means.

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier

"An ideal amplifier would be a totally linear device, but real amplifiers
are
only linear within limits."

Before the argument that no such thing as an ideal amp exists is
posed, =A0I would add that the limits within which audio amplifiers must
be linear (including the limits of said linearity) are so benign that
ideal amplifiers within the limits required for audio amps are the
norm rather than the exception.

ScottW

Irrelevant to the point, Scott. Just admit that you were wrong and that the
term "Ideal Amplifier" is, in fact, a legitimate technical term that has
nothing whatsoever to do taste or aesthetics, and move on.

Actually, I (ScottW) was trying to address the point that "Scott" had
previously made in another post.

Having worked a bit on broadband power amplifiers for digital cellular
communications I am painfully aware of how relatively easy it is to
show that for all practical purposes, the technically ideal audio amp,
no matter how sterile sounding to some, has been around for quite a
few decades.

ScottW

Sorry that I got my Scotts confused. 8^)

SPL definition Keith Carlson Pro Audio 138 October 28th 07 02:11 AM
SPL definition Keith Carlson Tech 125 October 28th 07 02:11 AM
Ideal Mic for alto flute Ludwig77 Pro Audio 3 December 26th 04 08:43 PM
Ideal system S D High End Audio 0 March 18th 04 06:39 PM