Posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.marketplace,hk.rec.audio-visual,rec.antiques.radio+phono
acamil acamil is offline

Default Western Electric 300B Matched Pair

I have a matched pair of Western Electric 300B. I obtained them from
the factory in April 1998. The packing slip is in the beautiful wooden
case that has the following engraved on the top:
one matched pair
WESTERN ELECTRIC (logo)
No. 300-B

The serial numbers are 210571 & 210572.

Each tube is in a FACTORY SEALED BOX with the serial number on the
seal.

I am asking $875.00 for the matched pair.

I am located in New Jersey and my email is
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.marketplace,hk.rec.audio-visual,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Dave Dave is offline

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 12:20:22 -0800, acamil wrote:

I have a matched pair of Western Electric 300B. I obtained them from the
factory in April 1998. The packing slip is in the beautiful wooden case
that has the following engraved on the top: one matched pair
WESTERN ELECTRIC (logo)
No. 300-B

The serial numbers are 210571 & 210572.

Each tube is in a FACTORY SEALED BOX with the serial number on the seal.

I am asking $875.00 for the matched pair.

I am located in New Jersey and my email is

We all have our fetishes I suppose...

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/channel/ch300b/
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.marketplace,hk.rec.audio-visual,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Miles Ahead Miles Ahead is offline

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 07:27:24 -0600, dave wrote:

We all have our fetishes I suppose...

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/channel/ch300b/

Good link.

Folks today have no real clue how easy it is now
(ie: internet) to get all this info, 99.9% free.

The ebooks on Usenet alone, on any subject,
just boggles the mind. Keep sharing...

JJTj

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.marketplace,hk.rec.audio-visual,rec.antiques.radio+phono
WayneJ WayneJ is offline

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 05:27:24 -0800, dave wrote:

We all have our fetishes I suppose...

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/channel/ch300b/

As the saying goes, "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance then baffle
'em with bull...."

WayneJ
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.marketplace,hk.rec.audio-visual,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Roger Jones Roger Jones is offline

On Jan 4, 8:27*am, dave wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 12:20:22 -0800, acamil wrote:
I have a matched pair of Western Electric 300B. I obtained them from the
factory in April 1998. The packing slip is in the beautiful wooden case
that has the following engraved on the top: one matched pair
WESTERN ELECTRIC (logo)
No. 300-B

The serial numbers are 210571 & 210572.

Each tube is in a FACTORY SEALED BOX with the serial number on the seal..

I am asking $875.00 for the matched pair.

I am located in New Jersey and my email is

We all have our fetishes I suppose...

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/channel/ch300b/

What a load of unmitigated nonsense is on that site!
Quote: "After all, how many solid-state amplifiers can you quickly and
easily change the output device(s) to subtly modify the sound of the
music it reproduces? None!"
But why would you want to? The STK modules and the FET linear o/p
stages are the closest thing to a "straight wire with gain" that we
have ever seen. The prior discrete Yamaha M2 and M4 amplifiers also
did this... DC to 100KHz, +/- 0.5 dB and virtually no THD and no
harmonics. All are technically superior to any tube amplifier I have
ever seen.
So why do some of us play with tube amps? For me, it's the ambiance
of the glowing tubes, the design challenge, they're collectables, they
look good, and, yes, when done well they sound good... but the best of
the linear s/s amps are better.
The religious will now get upset!
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.marketplace,hk.rec.audio-visual,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Paul P[_4_] Paul P[_4_] is offline

I figure most "audiophiles" must better hearing and better wallets than I.

PP :~)
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.marketplace,hk.rec.audio-visual,rec.antiques.radio+phono
It's that Guy again... It's that Guy again... is offline

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 10:00:20 -0800 (PST), Roger Jones
wrote:

The STK modules and the FET linear

kind snip

Alot can be done with SS. I have plans from the good folks
who did the "..Power to the People.." paper DECADES ago
that include very neat & swifty MOSFET design that is so close
to SWw/G it scares ya. And it CAN be adapted for guitar.

Is it a tube..nope. Isn't trying to be.

JJTj

BTW..if you ever see a copy of that paper
"PTTP", buy it. They explain how SS sand can
power tube amps, these guys KNOW their ****,
they designed the Psupplies for ultra multi tube
systems that had to have tube #27655(b) be low noise.

Back then it was $7 by mail, and he updtate it
often. Haven't heard from them in years.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.marketplace,hk.rec.audio-visual,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Dave Dave is offline

On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 10:00:20 -0800, Roger Jones wrote:

On Jan 4, 8:27Â*am, dave wrote:
[...]

The even order harmonic distortion is what gives tube amps their warmth.
300Bs have very low output, requiring horn loaded speakers for decent
volume, a design that also has unique distortion that some find cozy.

I like tube amps, but not tubes that cost more than a decent amp.

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Produ...tDetails.aspx?
CatId=Amplifiers&ProductId=MC2301
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.marketplace,hk.rec.audio-visual,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Morris Slutsky Morris Slutsky is offline

On Jan 4, 8:27*am, dave wrote:
[...]

Audiophiles like to run 300B's as single-ended, class A, which limits
their efficiency seriously. And yes, that way generates boatloads of
2nd-order harmonics. But that isn't inherent in the 300B so much as
it's part of the circuit topology. A 300B can dissipate 30 or 40
watts on it's plate, which is higher than that of an EL34! But single-
ended class A will only give you about 10 Watts that way, max, before
distortion gets seriously annoying. It's not the tube but the circuit
that limits power - despite it's old-timey appearance, a 300B actually
can dissipate more power than some pentodes. If you ran a EL34 in
single-ended class A, you'd get even less power than the 300B would
give.

If you hooked up 300B tubes, a pair of them, in push-pull like a pair
of EL34s or 6L6s usually are run, you could easily get 60 Watts out of
the pair, maybe more. Unfortunately, triodes have a lot less gain
than pentodes, and to get this full output you'd need a driver stage
capable of supplying current to drive the grids positive - class AB2
operation - pretty much like the output stage of the SVT. I think
that this would sound great for a little bass amp. Except for the
cost, fragility, and microphonics of the tubes, which is why I haven't
tried it.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,alt.guitar.amps,rec.audio.marketplace,hk.rec.audio-visual,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Dave Dave is offline

On Jan 4, 8:27Â*am, dave wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 12:20:22 -0800, acamil wrote:
I have a matched pair of Western Electric 300B. I obtained them
from the factory in April 1998. The packing slip is in the
beautiful wooden case that has the following engraved on the top:
one matched pair WESTERN ELECTRIC (logo)
No. 300-B

The serial numbers are 210571 & 210572.

Each tube is in a FACTORY SEALED BOX with the serial number on the
seal.

I am asking $875.00 for the matched pair.

I am located in New Jersey and my email is

We all have our fetishes I suppose...

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/channel/ch300b/

What a load of unmitigated nonsense is on that site! Quote: "After
all, how many solid-state amplifiers can you quickly and easily
change the output device(s) to subtly modify the sound of the music
it reproduces? None!"
But why would you want to? Â*The STK modules and the FET linear o/p
stages are the closest thing to a "straight wire with gain" that we
have ever seen. Â*The prior discrete Yamaha M2 and M4 amplifiers also
did this... Â*DC to 100KHz, +/- 0.5 dB and virtually no THD and no
harmonics.
Â*All are technically superior to any tube amplifier I have ever
Â*seen.
So why do some of us play with tube amps? Â*For me, it's the ambiance
[...]

Very true, but all the 300B junkies I've read about only use triode
configuration. I used to sell Altec A7s and they were a market. The
Klipschorn was the preferred speaker, but nobody could afford one after
buying a set of tubes.