Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default NO activity here since last Friday?? But seriously, some moreimpressions of the Roland RH-300

I had remarked in my post about "Boss" headphones how "tubby" the
RH-300 sounded and how subdued the highs were.

Well, the longer I run them the more I appreciate their definite
bottom extension - not intensification of - but actually usable
response down there in the sub-basement level of the musical realm!
They can definitely handle the diapason section of Westminster
cathedral's organ as well as the electronic beat of "Party Rock
Anthem" with that section of the EQ left perfectly flat. Otherwise,
relatively smooth run from there, aside from what I perceive as an
"upper-bass hump" in the 130-160 region, silky up into the high-mids,
then a little low beyond that into the treble zone. Still, not so
subdued that I have to give 10-12kHZ a boost.' Upon removal of the
ear pads I noticed something my Shure SRH-440, Sony 7506, and
Sennheiser HD280 don't have: The RH-300's diaphrams are set at angles
inside the cups - 10-15 degrees, more or less. This, in addition to
my own ears, might explain some of the sonic characteristics I
described earlier on in this paragraph.

Construction-wise, seem like a sturdy headphone. I've heard the
horror stories of the padding going prematurely on both Roland's 200
and 300, but then, I don't tour my RH-300s, 'nuff said. Their clamp
is not *quite* as strong as the Sennheiser HD-280's is, but is in line
with my 7506 - about right. And they still haven't figgered out
Sennheiser's trick for completely concealing the right-hand headphone
feed within the cups and headband, but, like on the 7506, I don't
foresee any way how that wire could become crimped either on the
headphone itself or anything nearby(!) Again, I don't tour, and seldom
take my full-size phones out and about.

11 feet of straight cord seems a stretch, but when you consider these
ARE Rolands, and as such may be worn in a live or production
environment, it may seem just right for use in those fields. At
first, and this is further testimony to Roland's attention to detail
and construction quality: I thought I was going to have to go out and
purchase a 1/4" stereo-to-mini adaptor for use with my iPod. Until I
turned the casing. The 1/4" presently unscrewed, revealing the 1/8th
underneath. The grippy texture on both is appreciated. And the
Velvet carry bag is always good to keep the dust and dings away.

Overall, I think the B&H price of $189 is about right for what these
phones do. And if they are as flat as post #41's graph on this
website forum suggests:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/545877/vict...please-help/30
then at least I know how flat sounds to MY ears.

Thankyou, thankyouverymuch for your time(!)

-ChrisCoaster
Posted to rec.audio.tech

website forum suggests:http://www.head-fi.org/t/545877/vict...hype-machine-s...
then at least I know how flat sounds to MY ears.

Thankyou, thankyouverymuch for your time(!)

-ChrisCoaster

Is the google view of this newsgroup still in existence???

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech
gregz gregz is offline

ChrisCoaster wrote:
[...]

Should be as well of the archives. I stopped using google usenet interface
when they started screwing up. Got app for my iPad.

Greg