Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matt Faunce Matt Faunce is offline

Default Crackling Sounds from Microphone

About a year ago I started having a problem with the microphone (or XLR
cable) that I use for my gigs: sometimes the amplified sound would sputter
out, and sometimes I'd also hear crackling sounds at various intensity
levels. This happened with two different PAs, each on different days,
(although I used the same XLR cable.)

The microphone is the AKG Blueline with the miniature cardioid capsule
which is connected to the mic-body with a long thin cord.

The last time it happened I switched, mid-gig, to my backup microphone
which is battery powered -- (I don't know if the problem was with the
phantom power) -- and continued using this backup for a year with no
problems. I procrastinated getting the AKG fixed. Since I recently got an
informal coffee-shop gig I decided to test the AKG again, and I thought it
would be useful to video record the problem so I could show the video to a
mic-repairman. But the problem hasn't recurred in the last three gigs.

I originally thought there might be a break in the cord connecting the
mini-capsule to the mic-body, because the problem seemed to happen more
often when I moved, inadvertently at first, then purposely, jiggling the
thin connecting cord. The last time it happened the crackling was very loud
even with the PA volume knob turned way down.

Since the problem hasn't occurred after its year off I wonder if there was
some moisture in the microphone somewhere and if maybe it won't likely
recur.

Can you tell me what the likely cause of the problem was? What should I do?

--
Matt
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 7:49:43 PM UTC-4, Matt Faunce wrote:
[...]

I have noticed (and theory agrees) that any tiny imperfection in a mic connector or mic cable connection will cause a __much__ bigger crackling problem when using phantom power. For live sound applications (as opposed to studio recording) where reliability is of primary importance, I prefer to use battery power instead of phantom power for that reason.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Matt Faunce wrote:
About a year ago I started having a problem with the microphone (or XLR
cable) that I use for my gigs: sometimes the amplified sound would sputter
out, and sometimes I'd also hear crackling sounds at various intensity
levels. This happened with two different PAs, each on different days,
(although I used the same XLR cable.)

The microphone is the AKG Blueline with the miniature cardioid capsule
which is connected to the mic-body with a long thin cord.

The Blue Line are electret mikes. Not a jellybean electret, but they do
not have external polarization. So they tend to be comparatively immune to
noise problems from high humidity.

Could be internal connections, could be a cold solder joint in there,
could be contamination in the capsule.

The last time it happened I switched, mid-gig, to my backup microphone
which is battery powered -- (I don't know if the problem was with the
phantom power) -- and continued using this backup for a year with no
problems. I procrastinated getting the AKG fixed. Since I recently got an
informal coffee-shop gig I decided to test the AKG again, and I thought it
would be useful to video record the problem so I could show the video to a
mic-repairman. But the problem hasn't recurred in the last three gigs.

That's why these things are a pain to fix, because you have to actually see
the problem in order to diagnose it properly and it tends to go away when
you're looking for it.

Since the problem hasn't occurred after its year off I wonder if there was
some moisture in the microphone somewhere and if maybe it won't likely
recur.

Can you tell me what the likely cause of the problem was? What should I do?

If you're worried about it and you don't have a backup, send it to AKG and
have them fix it. Hurry up before they have laid off the rest of their
service department.

Another worthwhile thing to do would be to get a second Blue Line mike so
that you can swap capsules and determine if the noise follows the body or
the capsule. This would also give you a backup, and allow you to do stereo
miking too.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
[...]

That sounds like good advice. Thanks.

--
Matt
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Matt Faunce wrote:
[...]

--scott

I just called AKG, and they'll fix it "for a flat fee of $96 plus return
shipping." So I'll send it to them.

Thanks.

--
Matt

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bart Candlewick[_3_] Bart Candlewick[_3_] is offline

On 10/23/2017 7:49 PM, Matt Faunce wrote:
[...]

Matt, which coffee shop? I think I am in the area.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Bart Candlewick wrote:
[...]

Kahve Coffee in Clawson (MI), Fridays 6:45 to 7:45 pm. Classical guitar.
Stop by and say hi.

I did send my microphone to AKG. They received it on Friday. I haven't
heard anything from them yet. I fear they won't find any problem then the
problem will return later. But I also fear the sky is falling...

--
Matt

crackling sounds when changing volume [email protected] Pro Audio 9 July 1st 07 04:01 AM
microphone record ambient sounds [email protected] Pro Audio 6 December 15th 06 11:02 PM
Which microphone to record ambient sounds [email protected] Tech 4 December 13th 06 06:07 PM
78's crackling kaine Tech 12 April 27th 04 07:55 PM
Crackling & hissing Browntimdc Tech 9 August 7th 03 07:42 PM