Posted to rec.audio.tubes
patrick-turner patrick-turner is offline

Default Tannoy NOS drivers in bamboo plywood boxes

Phil Allison May 26
Other recipients:
"patrick-turner"
Hi all, another page for everyone to argue about at my website,
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/loudspeakers-tannoy.html
This one is about using NOS Tannoy drivers in 40mm thick bamboo plywood
boxes.

Phil mentions......
** Bamboo - eh ??
Must sound really good playing chopsticks .....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRapSpA-dN0
..... Phil

What other response could we expect from Phil?
Its now amazin wot Chinese can do with giant grass stalks. Slit it up in some machine, then reconstitute it to be useful and bamboo grws as you watch it.
There was a clump of the large variety in Turramurra where I grew up, and I understand how fast it grows so its use by China save cutting down other forests of slow growing trees. But China also wants to swing away from chopsticks because its a big drain on natural resources to supply 1 billion pairs of chopsticks each day. But no dought some Chinese, if not 800 million clean the sticks for use for a year or more. Then there are the plastic sticks which would never be thrown out. Can be fitted with new miniature microphones, cameras, used in restaurants where visiting VIP westerners eat, haha, much good info on western capitalist trade secret stratergy while chop sui go down hatch.

The ply has density slightly more than pine wood, and gives off toxic smelling smoke when drilled or cut, and in fact it seems inferior for speaker boxes when compared with Nth European plywwod of same thickness. Maybe ppl ought to view videos of how the bamboo ply is made; I guess there might be some posted by now.

But the use of 40mm thick panels with lots of internal bracings mean enclosures are fairly sonically inert, and not a huge amount of acoustic energy rattles around inside and spews out through cones, delayed a few cycles to interfere with front of cone wave propagations.
NOS Tannoy drivers were not my choice, but the end result is OK.
Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"patrick-turner"

** Bamboo - eh ??

Must sound really good playing chopsticks .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRapSpA-dN0

What other response could we expect from Phil?

** A even funnier one ?

But the use of 40mm thick panels with lots of internal bracings mean
enclosures are fairly sonically inert, and not a huge amount of acoustic
energy rattles around inside and spews out through cones, delayed a few
cycles to interfere with front of cone wave propagations.

** ROTFL !!

Having a very stiff enclosure ( eg a concrete pipe) INCREASES the amount of
internal sound reflection. Filling the enclosure with sound absorbent
material is the only fix for the problem.

( Think how a typical bathroom sounds compared with a carpeted loungeroom
room full of furniture and curtains)

Wot a pompous dickhead.

.... Phil