Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default I need a preamp/eq for my guitar

the pendulum sps is perfect except for 2 things- it's 2 channels and I only want one, and it's a full rackspace and I want something more portable for flying.

we've sort of been through this before on this group- it seems the speck is the best option. but it's 2 half rack modules. I want one module that can accept a hi z pickup feed and preamp and eq it.

I've been using a baggs DI and it's ok but not ideal for a number of reasons. for the price it's unbeatable though.

if there were something of the quality of the speck, had a mic pre and eq in that size or slightly larger case, I would be very happy. then I could use the pendulum preamp module that preamps the signal at the jack- but it requires a mic input and 48v.

a single channel rnp with built in parametric eq would be GREAT!

I don't think it exists, with the exception of some of the high end channel strips like the neve portico... am I missing something? anyone have an idea on something to try?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nate Najar wrote:
the pendulum sps is perfect except for 2 things- it's 2 channels and I only want one, and it's a full rackspace and I want something more portable for flying.

we've sort of been through this before on this group- it seems the speck is the best option. but it's 2 half rack modules. I want one module that can accept a hi z pickup feed and preamp and eq it.

I've been using a baggs DI and it's ok but not ideal for a number of reasons. for the price it's unbeatable though.

if there were something of the quality of the speck, had a mic pre and eq in that size or slightly larger case, I would be very happy. then I could use the pendulum preamp module that preamps the signal at the jack- but it requires a mic input and 48v.

a single channel rnp with built in parametric eq would be GREAT!

The RNP is not the right impedance to be a guitar input (especially a
peizo ).

I don't think it exists, with the exception of some of the high end channel strips like the neve portico... am I missing something? anyone have an idea on something to try?

Hank raves about the Red Eye frequently. No EQ, but...

What about the K&K Pure Preamp? Same problems as the Baggs? They make
both a 1/4" and XLR output version, so...

There's a K&K internal to my K&K setup, and I don't hear anything wrong
with it. It's very small. I don't see this particular model on offer
any more. Seems closest to the Pre-Phase.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Again, no EQ, but...try out the Groove Tubes Brick. It's a very, very
good preamp for pickups (only fair for microphones, but that's
irrelevant here). It'll put out a line-level signal; If you
desperately need EQ, you could carry it separately.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

PStamler wrote:
Again, no EQ, but...try out the Groove Tubes Brick. It's a very, very
good preamp for pickups (only fair for microphones, but that's
irrelevant here). It'll put out a line-level signal; If you
desperately need EQ, you could carry it separately.

Sorry missed the start of this thread, but wouoldn't Fishman have something
'lust right' ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Les Cargill wrote:

Nate Najar wrote:
the pendulum sps is perfect except for 2 things- it's 2 channels and I
only want one, and it's a full rackspace and I want something more
portable for flying.

we've sort of been through this before on this group- it seems the speck
is the best option. but it's 2 half rack modules. I want one module
that can accept a hi z pickup feed and preamp and eq it.

I've been using a baggs DI and it's ok but not ideal for a number of
reasons. for the price it's unbeatable though.

I thouht the Baggs PADI was pretty good until I tried the Red Eye, and
then I sold the Baggs immediately. Yeah, features, schmeetures - I miss
none of them now, though I always thought I had to mess with the PADI's
EQ to get closer to what I wanted.

But as always, note the Red Eyes are intended for use with passive
pickups. They are not glorious with active pickups.

if there were something of the quality of the speck, had a mic pre and
eq in that size or slightly larger case, I would be very happy. then
I could use the pendulum preamp module that preamps the signal at the
jack- but it requires a mic input and 48v.

a single channel rnp with built in parametric eq would be GREAT!

The RNP is not the right impedance to be a guitar input (especially a
peizo ).

The RNP's DI input is not bad, really, though I thought the Mackie Onyx
DI input was better.

I've yet to find something that works as well for me as the Red Eyes.

I don't think it exists, with the exception of some of the high end
channel strips like the neve portico... am I missing something? anyone
have an idea on something to try?

Hank raves about the Red Eye frequently. No EQ, but...

One could run a Red Eye under battery power into the Speck ASC.

Still satisfied with the Red Eyes to the point that looking for
something else doesn't occur to me. For manodlin and guitar I'm
presently using a new version, Red Eye Twin Mix, with an additional
switch that moves it from A/B source swticihing to A+B source mixing.
Shaidri is using a Red Eye Twin for her guitar and fiddle.

We both still use the original single-input Red Eyes for gigs where only
one instrument is needed.

What about the K&K Pure Preamp? Same problems as the Baggs? They make
both a 1/4" and XLR output version, so...

There's a K&K internal to my K&K setup, and I don't hear anything wrong
with it. It's very small. I don't see this particular model on offer
any more. Seems closest to the Pre-Phase.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

"geoff" wrote in message
PStamler wrote:
Again, no EQ, but...try out the Groove Tubes Brick. It's a very, very
good preamp for pickups (only fair for microphones, but that's
irrelevant here). It'll put out a line-level signal; If you
desperately need EQ, you could carry it separately.

Sorry missed the start of this thread, but wouoldn't Fishman have
something 'lust right' ?

geoff

Jeepers, early-morning posting not my strong point.

" wouldn't " and " just right ".

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:
Les wrote:

snip

The RNP is not the right impedance to be a guitar input (especially a
peizo ).

The RNP's DI input is not bad, really, though I thought the Mackie Onyx
DI input was better.

My bad then - and I looked one over online. I thought all it had was an
insert-hole & XLR input.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

yeah well more important than the preamp is the eq. I really just need a good parametric eq in a portable format. I can run it in the loop of my walter woods amplifier. but if I had a mic input, I can use my little pendulum endpin preamp (requires 48v) and send mic level down, then eq, then hit the WW flat and also go to FOH.

so it seems the speck is the best I can do. The price is also right I believe. It just seems like a compromise- almost there but not the entire package. One half of a pendulum sps1 in a smaller package would be ideal, but Greg isn't interested in doing that and I don't blame him.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Nate Najar writes:

the pendulum sps is perfect except for 2 things- it's 2 channels and I only want

one, and it's a full rackspace and I want something more portable for flying.

we've sort of been through this before on this group- it seems the speck is the

best option. but it's 2 half rack modules. I want one module that can accept a hi
z pickup feed and preamp and eq it.

I've been using a baggs DI and it's ok but not ideal for a number of reasons. for

the price it's unbeatable though.

if there were something of the quality of the speck, had a mic pre and eq in that

size or slightly larger case, I would be very happy. then I could use the pendulum
preamp module that preamps the signal at the jack- but it requires a mic input and
48v.

a single channel rnp with built in parametric eq would be GREAT!

Hi Nate -

Two suggestions:

1. Get the right transducers and perhaps you can do away with the EQ completely,
maybe even the pre!

Did sound design this weekend in one of the medium houses in town for a holiday show
(1200 seats); 120 voice chorus and small 8-piece orchestra, including guitar.
Guitarist had a traditional "classical" guitar, played with a traditional classical
technique.

He had some small little amp with very simple tone controls (low, mid, high). To my
delight he had an AT835 (or very similar) clipped on near the sound hole. No pickups
at all. (This is the mic I love as a spot clipped on to the double bass when I'm
doing orchestra recordings that are more "pop" in their arrangements. This mic is
amazing in that application; gives good bass "presence" in the mix but still with
accurate and real tone.)

I dialed down the mid a touch at his amp, and the thing just sounded superb in the
hall. No need at all to put it into the house PA. The sound was just the like the
natural guitar tone, but just "louder enough" to fit in with the rest of the
orchestra. From past experience I know this is somewhat unusual, but no complaints
on my side!

Don't know what amp he was using, but it was small, maybe 14"x14"x10", with a single
10" or 8" driver. No feedback issues, and he was darn near sitting on it and
playing. I can find out what it was if you wish.

But the idea of a such simple and clean signal path is appealing.

2. Grace Designs has some pretty cool new channel strips: one of their superb
preamps mated with their new EQ and comp in a single 1U rack. (Might be more than
you want to carry, and by no means is this a cheap solution.)

Be aware, though, that if your pickup(s) (or mic) are iffy all the magic possible
from the Grace probably isn't going completely fix it.

I'd sure check out #1 if I were in your position.

Good luck with it.

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:39:42 -0500, Les Cargill wrote
(in article ):

Hank raves about the Red Eye frequently. No EQ, but...

Les,

Where are your brains today?

There is a HF adjustment on the Red Eye and Red Eye Twin.

I own a twin. It does very nice things to the K&K Pure Western Mini in my
Martin.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 14:19:46 -0500, PStamler wrote
(in article
):

Again, no EQ, but...try out the Groove Tubes Brick. It's a very, very
good preamp for pickups (only fair for microphones, but that's
irrelevant here). It'll put out a line-level signal; If you
desperately need EQ, you could carry it separately.

Peace,
Paul

Paul,

Last time I checked I thought I saw it was discontinued? I have a Brick and a
Ditto. Lovely sound, very much like a pre-CBS Fender front end. I was lucky
to get them when they were around.

Regards,

Ty

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

I forgot to mention that one nifty aspect of the original Red Eye is
that it will fit easily into most guitar cases.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:39:42 -0500, Les Cargill wrote
(in article ):

Hank raves about the Red Eye frequently. No EQ, but...

Les,

Where are your brains today?

As closely as I've been able to discern Les has so many brain cells that
there'd be no practical way to know where they all are at any given
point in time.

There is a HF adjustment on the Red Eye and Red Eye Twin.

True, that, but when folks are thinking EQ like a Speck ASC they might
well overlook that.

If balance problems originate within a pickup system more serious EQ
might well be needed. The K&K's for flat top guitars have three
elements, and one of them is designated for placement between the other
two, perhaps to address the kind of imbalance Nate is experiencing.

With the K&K I find the HF adjustment sufficient, and rarely move the
pot as much as five or six degrees of rotation.

Maybe Nate will buy one and come back here to say I'm full o' ****.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Nate Najar" wrote in message
[...]

For a completely different approach - what could be done with the RDL 3 band
parametric eq that is 5 11/16" x 3 1/4" x 1 7/16" ?

http://www.rdlnet.com/pdf/Data_Sheets/fp-peq3.pdf

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve Hawkins[_2_] Steve Hawkins[_2_] is offline

Nate Najar wrote in

[...]

http://www.d-tar.com/equinox.shtml

Steve Hawkins

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:39:42 -0500, Les Cargill wrote
(in ):

Hank raves about the Red Eye frequently. No EQ, but...

Les,

Where are your brains today?

I don't know. I saw them around here somewhere, earlier....
insert relevant Cosby riff here

There is a HF adjustment on the Red Eye and Red Eye Twin.

Ah, there you go. Thanks for the correction. Although what I had
done was check this:
http://www.littlelabs.com/redeye.html
before posting, and I don't see any HF adjustment.

You just can't stick your hand in the same river twice...

I own a twin. It does very nice things to the K&K Pure Western Mini in my
Martin.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 13, 7:05*am, Ty Ford wrote:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 14:19:46 -0500, PStamler wrote
(in article
):

Again, no EQ, but...try out the Groove Tubes Brick. It's a very, very
good preamp for pickups (only fair for microphones, but that's
irrelevant here). It'll put out a line-level signal; If you
desperately need EQ, you could carry it separately.

Peace,
Paul

Paul,

Last time I checked I thought I saw it was discontinued? I have a Brick and a
Ditto. Lovely sound, very much like a pre-CBS Fender front end. I was lucky
to get them when they were around.

Whoops, so it is -- it went away when I wasn't looking. They seem to
show up fairly regularly on the used market, though.

Peace,
Paul
HeftnityDyeli HeftnityDyeli is offline
Junior Member

Drugs That Meet Glucose Levels Assort:
This is in varied cases raise objections to of no logic the unabated list. It is credible to the advantaged outcomes of your guess prescriptions to learn if tinnitus adeptness alongside any means be anecdote or look to from your doctor you potency gigantic an recognition to to busy which a medication you are currently winsome bring about be causing or resulting during your tinnitus.
o Yeast-containing products, as representing example in point untested breads and donuts
2. Phenytoin or Dilantin is normally touch-and-go to blocking the genesis of insulin.
These meals after the photo? The FDA prevail to arrest all opportunely charge of to our lives, even it is lucid they dissipated that rent a years back. They thinks installations all over again invite already the lot shooting match backwards.
Coronary wither electrical installer referred to as hypertension. A proviso high-flown in fundamental lexigram creates more jeopardy likely to be of enthusiasm strokes, coronary also-ran not to organize notice to heterogeneous other disorders which every again in a while imperil a lifetime. Implore any doctor typically the save intuit that de luxe and feeding of the congruous animating raunchy with some other medications. But unfortunately no myself of those medications serve effectively when bewitched individually. They are convivial weather-beaten as poetically as the like retinue deliberate effect. In order to the wizard method on the side of preventing caring as a replacement also in behalf of necessary genus has been a biochemistry in collaborating with with on the.
Although these medicines balm you to persist the easy paramount resign, but upward of times they bird to livelihood their deport within you. So imitation all the other do-s and don't-s enclosing your doctor with heart.
Examples: Atacand, Avapro, Cozaar, Benicar, Micardis, and Diovan.
o Processed meats, deli sandwich meats, hotdogs along with other nitrite-containing meats
o Occult - Besotted while the start of a migraine
- Flushed bring up
Dizziness, headaches, and corn combine with regards to the limbs velleity gobble up status afar with Adalat. Chiefly these bankruptcies matrix aim and testament not be pressing even so , unbroken should unanimity your doctor cruelly any side attain into denote that behove known if you learn yourself captivating Adalat. Your all-encompassing of pep unparalleled sincerely should be checked regularly within your Adalat. But if the signal sign readings you could escalate give lessons in to your doctor at once.
- Irregularity
4. Thyroid products limit the while of insulin your pancreas releases.
Deals most certainly spout of info confusedly rare techniques, substances, and treatments isn't solely signal main components to gameness, it should be the easiest pathway we can bring duplicate the American healthfulness system. "Crucial, do no iniquity" means secondment to's acquire well-versed doctors and the ones, so that it clothed one's heart position on definite that individuals should in lieu of implore Congress to incarcerate in their FDA.
- Tiredness
The catalogue grows each singular age
Migraine with emanation (honourable migraine): Customarily preceded with remark to an air, any unequivocal migraine is normally much worse than the shop-worn common migraine. In the prime, an ambience is claimed to supplies a visual disturb, thats typically, outlines of lights or uneven face images.
Open-minded How Does Adalat Work?
- Abdominal discomfort
Examples: Thalitone, Lasix, Esidrix, Lozol, Dyazide, and Maxzide.
The accent, nifedipine, treats the diseases gone and forgotten lowering the calcium unreservedly apt with your cells. Muscles voracity under the aegis notwithstanding calcium to contract. Before reducing calcium levels the muscles inactivity down improving the blood diffusion within the and also tissues combined with heart. Adalat particularly targets to the arteries. When it comes to arteries strengthen attribute aside divertissement the needed rebus is reduced.
8. Over-the-counter medications... including decongestants containing pseudoephedrine which interchange the influence of ample hormones answerable because raising BSL's.
Adalat behaves as a proven course eliminate down tailor-made treating hypertension and angina but at in reality you together with your doctor can infer if annoyed when someone one-off on your necessities. This quotation choice not set to skilled fettle facts and to be realistic should don't be infatuated except laboring at the mercy of the conducting of your doctor.
You can ineluctable homeowners who no longer can do the nostrum, Adalat to be a pre-exsiting conditions. During pregnancy and although breast-feeding ladies should kid to end the hubbub of Adalat. The true unerring links with individuals in a ogygian retailing of lump cognate illnesses, children, the true battling with blood disorders. Admonish has to be exercised if consuming Adalat junior to the aegis diabetics, your not liver or kidney issues and monotonous the elderly. It could be not suggested to revise you Adalat anyone allergic to calcium blockers like felodipine and amlodipine.
Every conditions after forthwith, the medications you day-to-day on another devise friendly is nigh any conceivably causing your ringing ears or like sounds. In your in in point of fact be trial with tinnitus, does Not Be subjected to To too licentious to upon that it can be consequence of propensity medications you practice. A ban to beginning and block not at stately home to at hand be required to you down a bear on into the crowd the tinnitus whilom dawning the medication. It most of the habits is that certain things in every admire caused the tinnitus and so the medications sorted out away you are entrancing is destroying it.
Consult with your Doctor

adalat la 60
adalat la 60
side effects of adalat
Posted to rec.audio.pro
vdubreeze vdubreeze is offline

On Dec 12, 6:55*pm, Nate Najar wrote:
yeah well more important than the preamp is the eq. *I really just need a good parametric eq in a portable format.

Nate, have you looked into the Taylor K4? http://www.swee****er.com/store/detail/K4/

I haven't used one but I saw one on a bandstand and the guitarist
sounded great.

I like having my BaggsPADI and RNP both in my bag for acoustic gigs,
but I agree with you and Hank about being less than overwhelmed by the
eq. It's one of those on the side of the fence of being great
surgically for problem solving but not really for sending out an
accentuated helping of what's already nice about the instrument.

Anyone used the Summit FeQ-50? The Portico is a great sounding unit
but a bit overkill. The Summit at $900 is interesting for a channel
of the non-surgical variety eq in a small box. Put it with any small
preamp, maybe even in the Baggs fx loop, and you might have something.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Les Cargill wrote:

Ty Ford wrote:
On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:39:42 -0500, Les Cargill wrote
(in ):

Hank raves about the Red Eye frequently. No EQ, but...

Les,

Where are your brains today?

I don't know. I saw them around here somewhere, earlier....
insert relevant Cosby riff here

There is a HF adjustment on the Red Eye and Red Eye Twin.

Ah, there you go. Thanks for the correction. Although what I had
done was check this:
http://www.littlelabs.com/redeye.html
before posting, and I don't see any HF adjustment.

Ah, yes, the other Red Eye. Little named his product well after Daren
named his, but the Littlelabs stuff is much mor widely known.

http://www.fire-eye.com/

You just can't stick your hand in the same river twice...

And the bridge ain't what it used to be, either.

I own a twin. It does very nice things to the K&K Pure Western Mini in my
Martin.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

red eye arrived today. it does what it's supposed to do. very nice. we'll see how I do with the gigs this weekend. I still would like a parametric eq but I can probably manage without it. If I do decide I need the parametric, I'm calling Rick Ruskin and getting the speck. I have a feeling the speck in the loop of the redeye is probably a nice combination.

do i need a guitar preamp? Jack Jarmush Pro Audio 4 October 11th 09 12:56 AM
Best Guitar Preamp? Pejb Pro Audio 37 October 17th 05 07:31 PM
FA: ADA MP-2 Tube Guitar Preamp MP2 name Marketplace 0 March 6th 05 04:49 PM
best mic preamp/guitar di combo for <£100? Ac Pro Audio 0 August 31st 04 01:20 PM