Posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer brassplyer is offline

Default What do you think of these mics?

Short .aiff audio file 88,200hz 24 bit approx 26 secs recorded
simultaneously. Thoughts, observations the sound? Curious to see
if anyone makes the same observations I do.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...comparison.aif
Posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer brassplyer is offline

To clarify, they're the same vocal example, recorded by two different
mics simultaneously.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 19:52:44 -0800 (PST), brassplyer
wrote:

Short .aiff audio file 88,200hz 24 bit approx 26 secs recorded
simultaneously. Thoughts, observations the sound? Curious to see
if anyone makes the same observations I do.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...comparison.aif

I'm starting with the assumption that when you say simultaneously, you
actually mean one after the other, because the left and right channels
are identical. That being said, the first mic is slightly brighter at
the top end than the second. There isn't a lot in it though, and each
could easily be eq'd to sound like the other.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Short .aiff audio file 88,200hz 24 bit approx 26 secs recorded
simultaneously. Thoughts, observations the sound? Curious to see
if anyone makes the same observations I do.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/...comparison.aif

I'm starting with the assumption that when you say simultaneously, you
actually mean one after the other, because the left and right channels
are identical. That being said, the first mic is slightly brighter at
the top end than the second. There isn't a lot in it though, and each
could easily be eq'd to sound like the other.

And by the way, you have some reasonably serious DC offset issues in
your recording setup; you should consider addressing those.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Short .aiff audio file 88,200hz 24 bit *approx 26 secs *recorded
simultaneously.

I'm starting with the assumption that when you say simultaneously, you
actually mean one after the other, because the left and right channels
are identical.

Yes, they're dual mono samples. By simultaneously I mean they were
recorded at the same time with the capsules next to each other, one
mic upside down over the other.

And by the way, you have some reasonably serious DC offset issues in
your recording setup; you should consider addressing those.

It's someone else's setup but interesting to note. How did you note
the DC offset issue, audibly or with software analysis?

It's from a mic shootout of a moderately pricey mic -vs- a really
pricey mic. I'm curious to see if anyone else makes the same
observations about the sound that I do.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Short .aiff audio file 88,200hz 24 bit *approx 26 secs *recorded
simultaneously.

I'm starting with the assumption that when you say simultaneously, you
actually mean one after the other, because the left and right channels
are identical.

Yes, they're dual mono samples. By simultaneously I mean they were
recorded at the same time with the capsules next to each other, one
mic upside down over the other.

And by the way, you have some reasonably serious DC offset issues in
your recording setup; you should consider addressing those.

It's someone else's setup but interesting to note. How did you note
the DC offset issue, audibly or with software analysis?

It's from a mic shootout of a moderately pricey mic -vs- a really
pricey mic. I'm curious to see if anyone else makes the same
observations about the sound that I do.

I saw the DC offset when I took a quick peek in Audition. It is not a
huge problem in itself, but it is a pretty good indicator that
something is not right somewhere in the chain. Leaky electrolytic caps
can do this - not a big problem until they finally fail short circuit.

As for the comparison be a little wary. As I said, it is easy to make
them sound the same with a little EQ, but that is far from the whole
story. It is in the off-axis response that you find where the money
has been spent. A simple test like this won't show it up.

lot of vintage mics- CB radios-car radios-wood/bakeliteradios-receivers-mics-transceivers-TUBES-estate sale clearance ANTIQUE AUDIO Audio Opinions 1 July 27th 08 09:12 PM
ISO: YOUR MICS Nick's Picks Pro Audio 2 January 7th 08 07:26 AM
One mic or two mics? wakarusa Pro Audio 42 March 3rd 06 06:45 AM
BLUE Mics vs. JZ Mics J. Roberts Pro Audio 49 March 25th 05 03:16 PM
WTB: Ribbon Mics, Dynamic Mics Stefan Colson Pro Audio 0 October 29th 03 09:46 AM