Posted to rec.audio.pro
chris ruth chris ruth is offline

Default usb interface for recording classical guitar

On Dec 2, 5:22*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/2/2011 9:03 AM, chris ruth wrote:

So i got a focusrite scarlett 8i6. Have not tried it yet. Hope it
works

I had one that worked fine with Windows XP Since Windows 7
has been out for a few years now, I see no reason why it
shouldn't work fine with that. But start out slow. Start out
with a large buffer.

of audio." - John Watkinson

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com- useful and
interesting audio stuff

Well i tried it and it 'works' but i'm not happy with the sound.
I had to crank up the gain almost all the way to get a decent signal,
and it sounded kind of 'tin'-ey.
Now i know you would probably question that the tascam would actually
sound any better but i think it did.
Now i'm thinking the USBpre 2.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

chris ruth wrote:

Well i tried it and it 'works' but i'm not happy with the sound.
I had to crank up the gain almost all the way to get a decent signal,
and it sounded kind of 'tin'-ey.

What mike are you using?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 5, 12:05*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
chris ruth wrote:

Well i tried it and it 'works' but i'm not happy with the sound.
I had to crank up the gain almost all the way to get a decent signal,
and it sounded kind of 'tin'-ey.

What mike are you using?

Oktava MK012A-MSP Matched Pair
Posted to rec.audio.pro

chris ruth wrote:
On Dec 5, 12:05=A0pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
chris ruth wrote:

Well i tried it and it 'works' but i'm not happy with the sound.
I had to crank up the gain almost all the way to get a decent signal,
and it sounded kind of 'tin'-ey.

What mike are you using?

Oktava MK012A-MSP Matched Pair

Measure phantom voltage under load and make sure it's more than 35V or so.

Those mikes are very touchy about phantom supplies, and won't work with
anything that is out of spec. Also, they drive only one leg of the output
which is normally no problem but might be an issue with some weird preamp
topology.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
nobody calls me this but annatar nobody calls me this but annatar is offline

chris ruth wrote:

Well i tried it and it 'works' but i'm not happy with the sound.
I had to crank up the gain almost all the way to get a decent signal,
and it sounded kind of 'tin'-ey.

What mike are you using?

Oktava MK012A-MSP Matched Pair

Measure phantom voltage under load and make sure it's more than 35V or so..

Those mikes are very touchy about phantom supplies, and won't work with
anything that is out of spec. *Also, they drive only one leg of the output
which is normally no problem but might be an issue with some weird preamp
topology.

how in heavens do i measure that? i do have a voltmeter??
Here's an example of what i got with the tascam. Of course with a
little reverb added.
I found that i could only get a decent sound close miced. I usually
use an ORTF placement about6 in from 12-fret.
Anyway... hope this works, a little Bartok piece. The focusrite
sounded worse than this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38679149/08-...%204-Grave.mp3

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

chris ruth wrote:

Well i tried it and it 'works' but i'm not happy with the sound.
I had to crank up the gain almost all the way to get a decent signal,
and it sounded kind of 'tin'-ey.

What mike are you using?

Oktava MK012A-MSP Matched Pair

Measure phantom voltage under load and make sure it's more than 35V or so..

Those mikes are very touchy about phantom supplies, and won't work with
anything that is out of spec. *Also, they drive only one leg of the output
which is normally no problem but might be an issue with some weird preamp
topology.

Hmmm...that hasn't been my experience. My MK012s work quite nicely on
+24V phantom, which a crappy board of my acquaintance puts out. That's
more than I can say for my KM 84s.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 12/5/2011 10:48 AM, chris ruth wrote:

So i got a focusrite scarlett 8i6. Have not tried it yet. Hope it
works

Well i tried it and it 'works' but i'm not happy with the sound.
I had to crank up the gain almost all the way to get a decent signal,

In that case, you won't like any of these units. They all
have about the same "gain" (input voltage vs. bits) and with
a quiet instrument, you will need to use full gain.

and it sounded kind of 'tin'-ey.

What mic? What position? What room? What guitar?

Now i know you would probably question that the tascam would actually
sound any better but i think it did.

In what way? I don't doubt that they sound quite similar,
but I don't think one would blow the other away.

Now i'm thinking the USBpre 2.

I think you'll find that it has more gain than any of the
"desktop" interfaces that cost half as much as the Sound
Devices. But if it gives you the sound you're looking for
and you feel comfortable with the cost, go for it. It's a
step up in "professional" from what you've been working
with, and that's always a good thing.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/5/2011 9:41 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Measure phantom voltage under load and make sure it's more than 35V or so.

42.6v with two KM84s, which admittedly don't draw very much
current.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/5/2011 9:59 PM, nobody calls me this but annatar wrote:

how in heavens do i measure that? i do have a voltmeter??

You can measure the open circuit voltage by measuring
between pins 1 and 2 or between 1 and 3 (they should be the
same). Measuring it under load is a little trickier but a
good was to get an idea of whether the phantom powering is
feeble is to measure the voltage at one mic connector and
see how much it changes when you plug a mic into the other
connector.

This test is more significant if you have something like a
16-channel console with phantom on all channels. Plug in 16
powered mics and measure the voltage at the 16th connector
and see if it's still holding within 10% of 48v.

I looked through my notes for a review of the TASCAM US-122
that I wrote many years ago and oddly I didn't measure the
minimum input level for 0 dBFS digital output. It's
something I always do now since everybody complains about
not being able to "get a good signal." but the bottom line
is that (in most cases, with music recording) if you can't
deal with tracks that don't go all the way to full scale and
get good sound, you're doing something else wrong,

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 5, 9:41=A0pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Measure phantom voltage under load and make sure it's more than 35V or so=

.

how in heavens do i measure that? i do have a voltmeter??

Open up a cable shell, measure between pins 2 and 1. With no mike
connected, you should get 48V from the preamp. With the mike connected
you should get around 35V. You should see the same voltage also from
3 to 1.

I've never used any Focusrite stuff, so I don't know if it's designed to
meet the specs or not. Measure it and find out.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_] david gourley[_2_] is offline

chris ruth said...news:3f4d011c-e8c6-4127-a5fa-
:

On Dec 2, 5:22*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/2/2011 9:03 AM, chris ruth wrote:

So i got a focusrite scarlett 8i6. Have not tried it yet. Hope it
works

I had one that worked fine with Windows XP Since Windows 7
has been out for a few years now, I see no reason why it
shouldn't work fine with that. But start out slow. Start out
with a large buffer.

of audio." - John Watkinson

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com- useful and
interesting audio stuff

Well i tried it and it 'works' but i'm not happy with the sound.
I had to crank up the gain almost all the way to get a decent signal,
and it sounded kind of 'tin'-ey.
Now i know you would probably question that the tascam would actually
sound any better but i think it did.
Now i'm thinking the USBpre 2.

Did you make sure everything in the software mixer panel was set correctly?
They have switches from +4 to -10, etc, so it's good to check those as
well. Most any of these units now will usually have a software control
panel.

david
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

PStamler writes:

snips

Hmmm...that hasn't been my experience. My MK012s work quite nicely on
+24V phantom, which a crappy board of my acquaintance puts out. That's
more than I can say for my KM 84s.

KM84s? The originals and not KM184s?

Er, ah, I have a pair of MK012s... Be happy to swap you straight across for your
KM84s.

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/6/2011 3:35 PM, Frank Stearns wrote:

Er, ah, I have a pair of MK012s... Be happy to swap you straight across for your
KM84s.

A pair? You'd better have about 30. But then what would I do
with 30 MK012s other than sell them and buy another pair of
KM84s.,

No thanks, I guess.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 6, 8:42*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/6/2011 3:35 PM, Frank Stearns wrote:

Er, ah, I have a pair of MK012s... Be happy to swap you straight across for your
KM84s. *

A pair? You'd better have about 30. But then what would I do
with 30 MK012s other than sell them and buy another pair of
KM84s.,

No thanks, I guess.

of audio." - John Watkinson

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com- useful and
interesting audio stuff

ok, well now that you've shamed my mics, can you recommend a good mic
for recording classical guitar?
(if anyone is still looking at this thread
Posted to rec.audio.pro
cedricl[_2_] cedricl[_2_] is offline

On Dec 8, 4:00*pm, chris ruth wrote:
On Dec 6, 8:42*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:

On 12/6/2011 3:35 PM, Frank Stearns wrote:

Er, ah, I have a pair of MK012s... Be happy to swap you straight across for your
KM84s. *

A pair? You'd better have about 30. But then what would I do
with 30 MK012s other than sell them and buy another pair of
KM84s.,

No thanks, I guess.

of audio." - John Watkinson

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com-useful and
interesting audio stuff

ok, well now that you've shamed my mics, can you recommend a good mic
for recording classical guitar?
(if anyone is still looking at this thread

Listen to a pair of the AT4041. I like them better than the KM184.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 8, 9:33*pm, cedricl wrote:
On Dec 8, 4:00*pm, chris ruth wrote:

On Dec 6, 8:42*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:

On 12/6/2011 3:35 PM, Frank Stearns wrote:

Er, ah, I have a pair of MK012s... Be happy to swap you straight across for your
KM84s. *

A pair? You'd better have about 30. But then what would I do
with 30 MK012s other than sell them and buy another pair of
KM84s.,

No thanks, I guess.

of audio." - John Watkinson

http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com-usefuland
interesting audio stuff

ok, well now that you've shamed my mics, can you recommend a good mic
for recording classical guitar?
(if anyone is still looking at this thread

Listen to a pair of the AT4041. I like them better than the KM184.- Hide quoted text -

i don't have the KM's, i have pair of matched Octava MK012s