cwlondon

Default Old School, 2 Channel Car Stereo Audiophile? Am I the Only One Left?

Can anyone help?

I have a Porsche 2000 Boxster S that came with the factory "upgraded"
digitally enhanced system and 6 (?) speakers.

To further improve the system, a dealer in CT meticulously installed
an a/d/s 650 amp and a/d/s woofers in the door. The bass improved but
I would say lots of money later the system is not yet where I want it
to be.

I am thinking about:

A Nakamichi CD 400 to replace the Becker head unit

Replacing or disconnecting the factory in dash speakers splashing up
into the windshield

Focal?

Disconnecting the rear "speakers"

Adding a Milbert Tube amplifier

constructing some sort of "pods" or kickplate modifications so the
speakers can fire more on axis and give me a normal, 2 channel stereo
image.

My car stereo in 1980 sounded MUCH better than anything I have heard
in the last five years.

I dont need DVD, playstations, subwoofers, 170 DB etc, -- just good
clean, musical, non fatiguing, channel stereo sound. To give you
some idea, I like Audio Research tube amps and Magneplanars at home.

Any ideas? Are there any decent dealers in the NYC tri state area?

Thank you and best wishes.

1N

"cwlondon" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Have you looked into any Macintosh gear, I have also seen some electro stats
somewhere floating around I think they were Mark Levisons. I wouldn't do NAK
for CD two-channel they are more known for superior tape decks. A fine Mac
HU and a tube amp with some electro stats would probably sound breath
taking.

How is your car for dampening road noise, I would think Porsche would
provide a nice silent ride.

sanitarium

Looks like youre after imaging. Becker, thats a name I havent heard in
a while.... I cant recall where I heard/read about them before. My dad
has an old Nak CD head from 1989... I forget the model number. Its
going on strong in hos 90 4-runner, after over a decade. Go for it,
they make incredible DC transports IMHO.

Personally I have never heard a tube amp in a car. As a guitar player,
tube circuits are a vital part of my tone. I say, try and demo some
tube amps and test your ears. If you can HEAR a difference, then by all
means go for it. But dont rule out solid state amps. IMHO there are a
lot of "tube snobs" out there who really cant hear a difference between
an EL34, EL84 or a bipolar mosfet. But they like the tube snob appeal.
Again use your ears. If you go the tube route, get one that is self
biasing. I am pretty sure milbert tube amps are. My carvin tube amp is
NOT self biasing so re-tubing is a pain. I have to use groove tube
EL34s, grade 6. Using the wrong grade pushes the tubes into oscillation
(I think) and they glow white like a lightbulb. Its basically a nuclear
holocaust!! I also have a peavey classic 50/50 that is EL84 based.
Never had to re-tube it, extremely loud so I dont turn it up. I tihnk
most car tube amps have solid state rectifiers, so thats one less tube
to budget for.

If you like the bass from the ADS door speakers, then leave them as part
of the system. IMHO ADS makes some incredible midbass drivers, as well
as amps. If youre after sonic quality, you'll have to search a long
time to find a cleaner more dynamic amp. The question you have to ask
yourself is "can my ears HEAR a difference between this ADS amp and any
other".

I would recommend a kick panel install. Note however that those
kickpanel enclosures are very small and hence do not produce output
below 200-300Hz, so your door mounted ADS midbass driver will have to
take over a little.

I really like my image dynamics CD1E horns. They image like crazy, and
are very subtle in they way they do it. They project a very even,
dynamic soundstage. Never too much center or vise-versa.

One last thing... IMHO most (but not all) install shops are crooks. The
first thing they will tell you is to remove all your existing equipment
and fork over a blank check they can fill in a laundry list of gear.
IMHO ADS for decades made some stellar car audio equipment. So be
prepared. Use YOUR ears, what sounds good to YOU is all that matters.

Good Luck,
Garrett