Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] tacho.kirby@gmail.com is offline

Default Ever been to Gary's Record Paradise in Escondido?

Ever been to Gary's Record Paradise in Escondido?
Its a dump with the largest thrift shop grade vinyl
collection I've ever seen.
I bet you'd love it .

ScottW

AND JUST WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY SAYING THAT MY STORE IS A "DUMP?" THAT,
SIR, IS TANTAMOUNT TO LIBEL, BEINGS AS IT IS IN THE WRITTEN FORMAT AS
YOU HAVE SO PUT IT. I DON'T SUPPOSE THAT YOU'VE ACTUALLY BEEN TO MY
STORE (GARY'S RECORD PARADISE VOL.II) IN SOME TIME, IF EVER. MANY COME
TO MY STORE FOR THE GREAT FINDS AND FRIENDLY ATMOSPHERE, AS WELL AS
KIND AND COURTEOUS SERVICE, AND REFRESHMENTS TO BOOT. WHOM ELSE DO YOU
KNOW THAT WILL DO SPECIAL ORDERS WITHOUT CHARGING A POSTAGE OR SERVICE
FEE FOR THESE SERVICES? JUST WHY DO YOU SUPPOSE THAT WE'VE BEEN HERE
IN ESCONDIDO FOR OVER 30 YEARS? WELL, IT'S BECAUSE WE CARE ABOUT THE
CUSTOMER AS A HUMAN BEING,AND WE'RE AN INTEGRAL HEART AND PART OF THE
LOCAL COMMUNITY, THAT'S WHY! --Dr. Eustaquio Kirby,P.T.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 25 Ian, 04:07, wrote:
Ever been to Gary's Record Paradise in Escondido?

Its a dump with the largest thrift shop grade vinyl
collection I've ever seen.
I bet you'd love it .

ScottW

I found a STEREO version of Gaite Parisienne in an
Escondido thrift shop for 25 cents. It is worth about $300.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On 25 Ian, 15:24, ScottW wrote:
On Jan 25, 6:12 am, Clyde Slick wrote:

On 25 Ian, 04:07, wrote:

Ever been to Gary's Record Paradise in Escondido?

Its a dump with the largest thrift shop grade vinyl
collection I've ever seen.
I bet you'd love it .

ScottW

I found a STEREO version of Gaite Parisienne in an
Escondido thrift shop for 25 cents. It is worth about $300.

Hey...you went to Gary's with me. When was that?
About 2 years ago?
I got that Fleetwod Mac Live in Chicago.
The VPI failed to recover it to playable condition... .

ScottW

yeah, the former partner of Joe Lee, Joe's Record Paradise in MD.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jan 25, 8:12*am, Clyde Slick wrote:

I found a STEREO version of Gaite Parisienne in an
Escondido thrift shop for 25 cents. It is worth about $300.

The Living Stereo Fiedler?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
On Jan 25, 8:12 am, Clyde Slick wrote:

I found a STEREO version of Gaite Parisienne in an
Escondido thrift shop for 25 cents. It is worth about $300.

The Living Stereo Fiedler?

yep

I love finds like that. Very cool!

I figure for every 50,000 or so LPs I sift through in thrift shops I
find a deal like that. Once I went into a Goodwill and a worker was
Mulligan, Blakey, on Emarcy, Verve, King, Clef, Blue Note, about 80 10
and 12 inch jazz LPs from the early-to-mid 1950s in all, all in great
condition. I snarfed them up. I paid a whopping 49 cents each. There
was a group of 2-3 people watching me. You could tell they knew what
they were. About a year later I was in a record store and this guy
says, "Are you that guy who scored all those jazz LPs at Goodwill a
while back?" :-)

Have you looked around at what's available in Romania? Are most of the
LPs from the former USSR?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

wrote:
[...]

A lot of eastern europe lp's and also a good bit from western europe
classical, pop, local ethnic
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jan 25, 5:28*pm, Clyde Slick wrote:
On 25 Ian, 17:03, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"

Have you looked around at what's available in Romania? Are most of the
LPs from the former USSR?

A lot of eastern europe lp's and also a good bit from western europe
classical, pop, local ethnic

I've found that generally LPs made in England, Holland, Germany, etc.
are better than the corresponding releases on US labels. I think they
used better vinyl and just seemed to take more care making them.
Perhaps it was because the volumes were smaller?

I have not performed any DBTs to "prove" that though. ;-)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article
,
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote:

On Jan 25, 5:28*pm, Clyde Slick wrote:
On 25 Ian, 17:03, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"

Have you looked around at what's available in Romania? Are most of the
LPs from the former USSR?

A lot of eastern europe lp's and also a good bit from western europe
classical, pop, local ethnic

I've found that generally LPs made in England, Holland, Germany, etc.
are better than the corresponding releases on US labels.

In general, I agree. Decca, Philips, Harmonia Mundi, EMI...

I think they
used better vinyl and just seemed to take more care making them.
Perhaps it was because the volumes were smaller?

I have not performed any DBTs to "prove" that though. ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 26 Ian, 13:02, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
On Jan 25, 5:28 pm, Clyde Slick wrote:

On 25 Ian, 17:03, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
Have you looked around at what's available in Romania? Are most of the
LPs from the former USSR?

A lot of eastern europe lp's and also a good bit from western europe
classical, pop, local ethnic

I've found that generally LPs made in England, Holland, Germany, etc.
are better than the corresponding releases on US labels. I think they
used better vinyl and just seemed to take more care making them.
Perhaps it was because the volumes were smaller?

I have not performed any DBTs to "prove" that though. ;-)

I have an RCA shaded dog equivalent from France that sucks.
they compressed the groove to eliminate the inner groove distortion
at the end of each side.

Now it all sounds very ****ty, instead of 1/4 of it
sounding a just little bit ****ty.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
On Jan 25, 5:28 pm, Clyde Slick wrote:

On 25 Ian, 17:03, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
Have you looked around at what's available in Romania? Are most of the
LPs from the former USSR?

A lot of eastern europe lp's and also a good bit from western europe
classical, pop, local ethnic

I've found that generally LPs made in England, Holland, Germany, etc.
are better than the corresponding releases on US labels. I think they
used better vinyl and just seemed to take more care making them.
Perhaps it was because the volumes were smaller?

I have not performed any DBTs to "prove" that though. ;-)

I have an RCA shaded dog equivalent from France that sucks.
they compressed the groove to eliminate the inner groove distortion
at the end of each side.

Now it all sounds very ****ty, instead of 1/4 of it
sounding a just little bit ****ty.

I have several "Yes" LPs from England that sound better than the Atco
US releases. I also have Ella Fitzgerald on "His Master's Voice" that
sounds better then the US Verve version. Same for my German LS
Belafonte and Dutch "Little Feat".

As I said, "generally..."
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jan 26, 12:54*pm, "ScottW" wrote:
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote in

:I have several "Yes" LPs from England that sound better than the Atco
:US releases.

Have you checked out Analog Productions Fragile?
It's one of my "best mixes/pressings".

No, I haven't. Is it currently available?

: I also have Ella Fitzgerald on "His Master's Voice" that
:sounds better then the US Verve version. Same for my German LS
:Belafonte and Dutch "Little Feat".

:As I said, "generally..."

Most European imports of pop and rock (can't speak to classical
or jazz)
were better than their US equivalents of the 60-80s IME.

In the classical world the Europeans seemed to slip as badly as the
labels did in the US. DGG went, IMO, way downhill from the "Tulip"
label days. Very flimsy vinyl. I dumped all of my 1970s DGGs recently.
RCA went to the disasterously shoddy "Dynaflex". Columbia went to
vinyl about 1/2 as deep, although they didn't seem to slip as badly as
some of the other labels. A lot of the top jazz artists went to Pablo
or other labels that didn't seem to care so much about production
quality.

OTOH, much of the D2D jazz stuff I have from the mid-70s and later is
quite well done.

However the current audiophile labels of the US (Classic Records
and Analog productions) are IMO producing as good a vinyl as
anyone in the world...even if Classics Aqualung was a huge
disappointment.

My latest LP kick has been tracking down (no pun intended) rarer jazz
recordings. I haven't been doing too much on the current audiophile
labels or too much with pop. Part of the fun for me is the hunt. We
still have some good record stores here. I found an antique shop (one
of those ones with 60 or whatever vendors) where one guy specializes
in LPs. I've found some great stuff there. I found a $250 Miles Davis
LP in great shape for $12, for example.

I do like my MFSL "Aqualung" though. The DCC CD I have of that is good
too. Steve Hoffman did a good job IMO. The MFSL "Thick as a Brick" and
"Close to the Edge" are also nice.

Paradise Island Barry Pro Audio 17 May 22nd 07 01:53 AM
Nitpicker's paradise [email protected] Audio Opinions 23 March 8th 06 03:01 AM
Switching from tape record to mp3 record Charles Tosh Pro Audio 20 November 24th 05 06:07 PM
A bug eaters paradise Clyde Slick Audio Opinions 1 June 17th 05 01:59 PM
[OT] Song Remix "Paradise" Max Arwood Pro Audio 2 August 29th 04 06:15 PM