Posted to alt.home-theater.misc, rec.audio.opinion
Gregory C. Jones Gregory C. Jones is offline

Default Denon 2808 Receiver

I'm looking into getting the Denon 2808 for my ps3-based blu ray home
theater... it's $100 off at best buy now. I liked its sound better
than say Yamaha which I usually like. Is this model and its
technology being phased out or is this just some promotion? are its
farroudja video scaling and dolby/DTS HD audio the right thing for the
future? the ps3 can output pcm bitstream to be decoded by the dolby/
dts hd audio in the Denon? I would be willing to wait and get a newer
version if it would be less buggy in any sense... thanks

Greg
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.opinion
Art Art is offline

See:
http://aperionaudio.typepad.com/the_...non_avr28.html

"Gregory C. Jones" wrote in message
I'm looking into getting the Denon 2808 for my ps3-based blu ray home
theater... it's $100 off at best buy now. I liked its sound better
than say Yamaha which I usually like. Is this model and its
technology being phased out or is this just some promotion? are its
farroudja video scaling and dolby/DTS HD audio the right thing for the
future? the ps3 can output pcm bitstream to be decoded by the dolby/
dts hd audio in the Denon? I would be willing to wait and get a newer
version if it would be less buggy in any sense... thanks

Greg

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.opinion
The Man From Mars The Man From Mars is offline

Is this model and its
technology being phased out or is this just some promotion?

This is a brand new model that has the new HD decoders (DD True HD, DD +,
DTS-HD-MA)

the ps3 can output pcm bitstream to be decoded by the dolby/
dts hd audio in the Denon?

The ps3 does not have decoders for dts-HD-MA and cannot pass it as bitstream
for the Denon to decode even if it is given the decoder in a future firmware
update but if the ps3 is given a dts-HD-MA decoder in the future then it can
decode it and pass it to the Denon as multichannel PCM (same as dts-HD-MA)/

I would be willing to wait and get a newer
version if it would be less buggy in any sense...

I think it would not make that much of a difference. I have the Denon 987.
This was last years model of the 2808. I have a Bluray player (Panasonic
10A) and a HD DVD player (Toshiba A-2) and both decode internally for all
the new HD audio codes except dts-HD-MA but HD DVD doesn't have but maybe 1
or 2 movies with that and the Panasonic 10A does decode dts-HD-HR and does
play the core dts with the MA soundtracks. The Denon 987 has been
absolutely perfect. It is powerful and sounds amazing. No problems with
any kind of audio or video. I think getting the 2808 would be a wise
decision.

Good luck...

thanks

Greg