Beth Pankoski

Default FS: Electro Voice Regency Speaker Cabinets

Vintage classic Electro Voice Regency empty speaker cabinets - no drivers,
horns or crossovers included. I would like to get $100 for the 2 empty
cabinets, but I am open to offers. One a 1959 model and the other a 1961
per an EV factory rep estimate based on the serial numbers of the components
that were installed. They are both Regency 3 models. At the time, they
were one of the most sophisticated speakers systems available. The
'Regency' model cabinets were designed for EV by Paul Klipsch (of Klipschorn
fame). They have a front firing (facing) 15" woofer with a horn loaded
port. It is a folded-horn design, optimally placed in a corner of a room to
utilize the walls as the last 'fold' of the horn. The result - absolutely
pure, smooth, powerful bass response that is unparalleled even by many of
the ultra-modern designs. Many audiophiles agree that these classic
designs of the 50's and 60's are hard to beat! The trade-off is cabinet
size and the loss of your room corners to speakers. They are 33.5" long X
29" high X 18" deep and in reality don't disturb a room layout too badly
when placed in a corner. Besides, when talking speakers, size does matter.
The compact mini-systems just don't do it and powered subwoofers are a poor
compromise for the purity of the horn designs. The cabinets 'packed'
shipping weight is about 68 lbs. each.
The cabinets are constructed of mahogany veneer plywood on all of the
exposed areas. The brass on the front grills is in remarkably good
condition with no tarnishing at all. The cabinets were refinished years
ago and a couple of moves since then have caused normal nicks and dings and
a couple of gouges into the surface veneer. They are structurally sound and
solid sonically. The original baffle board/hardware is included if you
wanted to mount OEM speakers and crossovers; alternatively one could mount
more modern design components on a custom baffle board. All you need is a
piece of 5/8" plywood and some imagination.
I got some estimates from FEDEX and UPS for shipping to various regions of
the country. In all the cases, UPS was about 80% higher than FEDEX.
FEDEX has a restriction for packages this size/weight that they can ONLY be
delivered to a business address - maybe that's why their rates are lower???
I will gladly prep and package these cabinets for shipping and deliver them
to the nearest FEDEX depot and not charge for this, but be warned, shipping
is expensive -
about $40 PER CABINET to the Midwest, around $50 - $55 to the coasts.
Based on this,I would prefer them to be picked up here in southern Indiana,
about an hour southwest of the INDY airport. I will not seek out other
estimates from other shipping companies, but will gladly drop off the
cabinets at a local pickup point for whatever other company you make
arrangements with for shipping.
I can email pics.