Posted to rec.audio.tech
crmay crmay is offline

Default Receiver Problem

Hi! (sorry if you read this elsewhere)

I have a bit of a problem and was hoping to get some assistance from
the people in this group. My receiver started "dropping out" from
the
optical SPDIF input from my computer for a few minutes, then hours
now
no sound. I've tried the coax digital input with no luck, but can
still hear static from the radio tuner.

my only use for this receiver is to amplify signals from another
device (mainly HTPC). Any other features are wasted.

While I don't consider myself an expert in sound, I'm pretty sure my
hearing is 'sound" and my opinion of the current setup is excellent.

Here are the components I'm using:
Speakers - Dream Acoustics - Basic 5.1
Amp/Receiver - Wintal - AVR 3050 - 3 year warranty
Input - Auzentech X-Plosion

As the receiver is no longer functional and just out of warranty, I'm
not sure what to do.

Should I -
- Buy another receiver
- Have the receiver repaired

I paid around $350 for the (current defective) receiver and have been
quoted on two Kenwood's for around the $300-350 mark. Both of these
are 6ohm, the current receiver is 8ohm. This is the best price i
could muster on a name brand. The Wintal (current defective)
receiver
is 130W @ 8ohm while the Kenwood is 100W @ 6ohm. Does this mean for
the Kenwood it's just 75W @ 8ohm?

I've rang most all dealers in my local area trying to find a receiver
with equivalent specs but haven't had any luck along the $350 dollar
mark. Should I get the current receiver repaired or should I buy a
new one?

Cheers,

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz[_2_] Tim Schwartz[_2_] is offline

crmay wrote:
[...]

Good morning,

If your receiver is really JUST out of warranty (a month or 3) I'd
contact the manufacturer and see if they will extent the warranty as a
courtesy.

As to the Kenwood, I doubt you'd notice much difference in sound levels
with the power differences you mention.

Should you repair your receiver if it is out of warranty? Depends if
you like it and what it might cost. I don't know the Wintal brand at
all, but a 3 year warranty is impressive, at least here in the US. Call
an authorized servicer (after your discussion with Wintal) and ask for a
"guestimate" of what it might cost to repair.

Some companies have a very reasonable flat rate repair. I looked over
an expensive computer sub woofer amp for a customer. When I called the
manufacturer for information, I fount their their flat rate repair
charge was less than I could buy the parts for.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Receiver Problem crmay Audio Opinions 4 November 28th 09 06:50 AM
Marantz receiver problem Alex Tech 4 November 25th 05 02:53 AM
Ohm Different Speakers/Receiver problem... MAC Vacuum Tubes 4 November 22nd 05 02:23 PM
Odd problem with Onkyo HT amp/receiver. gek Tech 4 November 8th 05 04:18 PM
Pioneer AV Receiver problem [email protected] High End Audio 4 March 11th 05 01:21 AM