Jim Kollens

Default Smoking

0junk4me: I'm a smoker.

I smoked for about 35 years, climaxing in four packs a day. When I quit, it
was cold turkey and painless. If people smoke around me, I like it. I never
really believed the second-hand smoke thing, unless you work in a crowded bar.
But the thing that really sticks out in my mind is how many, many things seem
to bother everybody in the last decade or so. It happened somewhat gradually
and I don't think many people really realize how much more relaxed and tolerant
things used to be. You also mentioned political correctness. It's ironic that
political correctness was designed to produce tolerance, but it actually seems
to have the opposite effect, a very stifling effect. I don't know where you
live, but out here (Dupage county, Illinois) people are unbelievably paranoid.
No-one will even have one single drink or a beer for fear they will get a DUI
on their way home. In the 80's even, it wasn't like this. I have noticed that
people don't bond together like they used to in the past, they seem to just be
in a hurry to get home. I find it a strange strange world, one that I can't
really get used to. I wouldn't want to.

Ricky W. Hunt

"Jim Kollens" wrote in message
0junk4me: I'm a smoker.

I smoked for about 35 years, climaxing in four packs a day. When I quit,
it
was cold turkey and painless. If people smoke around me, I like it. I
never
really believed the second-hand smoke thing, unless you work in a crowded
bar.

It bothers some people immediately as it's happening though. I start to
choke and get a headache. And I used to be a smoker. You develop more
problems the older you get though.

But the thing that really sticks out in my mind is how many, many things
seem
to bother everybody in the last decade or so. It happened somewhat
gradually
and I don't think many people really realize how much more relaxed and
tolerant
things used to be.

I don't think it has anything to do with tolerance. It physically makes us
ill. We live in a much more stressed society (in every way that word can be
taken) and with so much pollutants around us we are becoming more and more
sensitive to the effects. It's your body's way of saying "Wake up and make a
change before you die".

You also mentioned political correctness. It's ironic that
political correctness was designed to produce tolerance, but it actually
seems
to have the opposite effect, a very stifling effect.

That I totally agree with.

I don't know where you
live, but out here (Dupage county, Illinois) people are unbelievably
paranoid.
No-one will even have one single drink or a beer for fear they will get a
DUI
on their way home. In the 80's even, it wasn't like this. I have noticed
that
people don't bond together like they used to in the past, they seem to
just be
in a hurry to get home. I find it a strange strange world, one that I
can't
really get used to. I wouldn't want to.

I believe that too. I believe natural selection will weed out the people
that can't take the stress. Sadly, people seem to be more rushed and have
less enjoyment than ever.

Pete Dimsman

Ricky W. Hunt wrote:

I believe that too. I believe natural selection will weed out the people
that can't take the stress. Sadly, people seem to be more rushed and have
less enjoyment than ever.

I think the proliferation of the cell phone is a major culprit. People
are so worried they are going to "miss something" if they aren't
constantly connected. What they are really missing is the relaxing time
of being dis-connected. I believe this has had a major impact.

I just don't see how anybody can relax and enjoy a nice meal, or a bike
ride, or a walk in the park while they continue to babble on a telephone.

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:44:01 GMT

On 2004-09-15
(JimKollens) said:
[...]

Ditto! LIved in southeast IOwa and saw that change a couple years
ago. AT least my folks play the routine where when they go out one
plays designated driver.

THey plan on a visit to New ORleans where I reside currently. I'm
going to surprise them when I tell them to leave the rental car
parked, or their own if they drive down. for a lot of their tourist
activities they can use public transit, drink as much as they want,
enjoy as much as they want and leave when they get tired of the zoo.
Easier on the environment, easier on their nerves (just try finding
legal affordable parking in the French Quarter) and a lot more fun for
them.

IF a proprietor of an establishment wants his joint to be smoke free
that's fine by me. HOwever when the government starts telling me all
this crappola that's where I draw a line. YEsterday in preparation
for the big nonevent which Hurricane Ivan turned out to be for NEw
ORleans I was deployed as emergency communications help to our largest
local medical facility. OF course in the radio room where I spent the
day and last night smoking is prohibited, but there was an area
outdoors an elevator ride and half a block's walk away. Once every
hour or two leave my wife who's also a licensed ham in charge of the
radios and slip out for ten minutes and a smoke. Another advantage:
THe radio room had no windows. WE could follow the progress of the
storm on the web and get local conditions at two airports a park and
across the lake, but I got to actually see what current local weather
conditions were at my location.

Richard Webb,
Electric SPider Productions, New Orleans, La.
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email