Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
mimus

Default I Want Control! Complete and Total Control!

I want a double- drawer- or- better *programmable* CD player, goddamit.

One which allows you to punch in, say, (some equivalent of) "-N" to mean
"play all tracks up to track N", and "N+" "play all tracks from N on", and
"M-N" "play tracks M to N", all in programming sequences like "-J M-N P-Q
S+" (across different disks as well, of course).

(And I don't even have the spirit to put individual track level and--
ooh-ooh-- track crossfade control on my wish list.)

Oh, and good, whatever that means with respect to CD function.

And cheap.

Incidentally, my present player allows track programming across multiple
disks but actually pulls each disk out and sucks some info off the disk for
each time you punch a new track in and that is slow and noisy and drives me
crazy (and is really what has led to the present heart's- cry), so let's
keep an eye and ear out for that one, too.

--

smeeter 11 or maybe 12

mp 10

mhm 29x13

I wonder what I have been up to.

_Beyond Apollo_
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Steven Sullivan

In rec.audio.opinion mimus wrote:

I want a double- drawer- or- better *programmable* CD player, goddamit.

One which allows you to punch in, say, (some equivalent of) "-N" to mean
"play all tracks up to track N", and "N+" "play all tracks from N on", and
"M-N" "play tracks M to N", all in programming sequences like "-J M-N P-Q
S+" (across different disks as well, of course).

(And I don't even have the spirit to put individual track level and--
ooh-ooh-- track crossfade control on my wish list.)

You want to be streaming your music from a computer, then.
Your needs are easily met, using something like foobar2000
to play lossless files.

___
-S
"Excuse me? What solid proof do you have that I'm insane?" - soundhaspriority
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
mc

I want a double- drawer- or- better *programmable* CD player, goddamit.

One which allows you to punch in, say, (some equivalent of) "-N" to mean
"play all tracks up to track N", and "N+" "play all tracks from N on",
and
"M-N" "play tracks M to N", all in programming sequences like "-J M-N P-Q
S+" (across different disks as well, of course).

(And I don't even have the spirit to put individual track level and--
ooh-ooh-- track crossfade control on my wish list.)

You want to be streaming your music from a computer, then.
Your needs are easily met, using something like foobar2000
to play lossless files.

Yes. And run the analog audio outputs from the CD drives directly to an
external amplifier rather than through the soundcard.

Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Aratzio

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:53:37 -0500, mimus
transparently proposed:

[...]

Why mess with a CD? Same quality audio if you use a lossless format
and just send it over a network.

I own somewhere around 2,000 CDs and generally only stick them in my
computer once. I also have network storage so my computer does not
even have to be on to play my music.

Lossless WAV/FLAC/APE files, network media player and playlists.
Searchable with either computer, front panel or remote control.

This one ain't your cheap but DAYAM:
http://www.sonos.com/products/zoneplayer/zp100/

You can get these pretty cheap and they can play lossless formats:
http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/index.php

Little more pricey but the one with which I am thinking of replacing
my old Audiotron:
http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_overview.html

--

AHM ****** Stomping Award - 2005

Pierre Salinger Hook, Line & Sinker - May, 2005
Pierre Salinger Hook, Line & Sinker - Jan, 2006

Hammer of Thor - July, 2005

David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus) on 10-22-2005
"But it is not isolated AUK has a massive impact the rest of usenet."

Please ask your admin to be adding alt.aratzio to your news server
alt.aratzio Usenet asshole Aratzio
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
mimus

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:20:40 GMT, Aratzio wrote:

I own somewhere around 2,000 CDs and generally only stick them in my
computer once.

You have ~2K CDs' worth of audio information _stored_? where? on what?

--

smeeter 11 or maybe 12

mp 10

mhm 29x13

Big portal to underworld just over hill, next to poorhouse.

Laumer

Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
mimus

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:09:06 +0000 (UTC), Steven Sullivan wrote:

In rec.audio.opinion mimus wrote:

I want a double- drawer- or- better *programmable* CD player, goddamit.

One which allows you to punch in, say, (some equivalent of) "-N" to mean
"play all tracks up to track N", and "N+" "play all tracks from N on", and
"M-N" "play tracks M to N", all in programming sequences like "-J M-N P-Q
S+" (across different disks as well, of course).

(And I don't even have the spirit to put individual track level and--
ooh-ooh-- track crossfade control on my wish list.)

You want to be streaming your music from a computer, then.
Your needs are easily met, using something like foobar2000
to play lossless files.

I take it you mean a system dedicated to being a player?

I wasn't even thinking about that route, but it's definitely an interesting
if (to me) bizarre thought; I would've thought that CD players would by
their very systemic dedication to their task would provide superior
fundamental performance.

OTOH, computers are computers, eh?

(I think Aratzio's trying to lead me down the same path.)

--

smeeter 11 or maybe 12

mp 10

mhm 29x13

Big portal to underworld just over hill, next to poorhouse.

Laumer
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Aratzio

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:27:48 -0500, mimus
transparently proposed:

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:20:40 GMT, Aratzio wrote:

I own somewhere around 2,000 CDs and generally only stick them in my
computer once.

You have ~2K CDs' worth of audio information _stored_? where? on what?

No, I have a LOT more than 2K cds stored.

Computer #1:
1.2Tb of assorted internal and external hard drives

Computer #2
650 Gb internal.

Computer #3
750Gb internal. Work in progress, as I am putting in a 1.2Tb Raid 1
array (600Gb) for actual data storage. Love the new Motherboad, 4 Sata
ports PLUS 4 Sata RAID ports PLUS 4 IDE channels.

#1 is primary storage.
#2 is primarily back-up for #1.
#3 is eventual replacement for #1.

Eh. Oh. I do beg your pardon, but I think I need to talk to someone
normal.

(BTW, I strongly disapprove of Internet radio, or any other use of Internet
streaming for other than realtime coverage of RL events, and not even those
if they're routine-- SAVE THE INTERNET.)

((Screw Internet use of PDF files, the most bloated files on the planet,
too-- what the Hell's xhtml for, anyway?))

--

smeeter 11 or maybe 12

mp 10

mhm 29x13

Big portal to underworld just over hill, next to poorhouse.

Laumer
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Aratzio

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:35:13 -0500, mimus
transparently proposed:

[...]

Yup.
BUT the caveat is that to actually achieve the *same* quality as the
original you have to use a lossless format. WAV is a 1:1 of the CDDA
track which is about 10M of storage per minute of music (IIRC). So you
need LOTS of storage even if you use a compressed lossless format like
FLAC or APE (40-60% compression).

However if you have either tin ears, hearing loss, old age or crappy
speakers the MP3, OGG and apple lossy formats will work just fine and
are usually about 1-2M per minute of music.

50 minutes music in WAV is ~500Mb of storage
50 minutes music in MP3 is 50-100Mb of storage.

So the trade off for your convenience is storage size vs audio
quality.

And the player.
And the network.
And the time spent ripping each and everyone of those CDs and making
sure there are no errors and finding one and going back ripping the CD
again only to find there is a scratch and you have to go buy another
POS CD and then you find out it really was not a scratch but a cat
hair, a ****ing cat hair, how in the hell did that ****ing cat hair
get on my CD, was the cat playing my cds while I was out, I will wring
the scrawny *******s neck if he even thinks about touching my cds
again I hate it when my cat plays my cds I have told him and told hims
*don't touch the cds* but does he listen no he just sits there licking
his paw acting like he doesn't care and then waiting until i leave to
play my cds I am going to put in a web cam just so I can make sure the
******* never touches my cds again.

--

AHM ****** Stomping Award - 2005

Pierre Salinger Hook, Line & Sinker - May, 2005
Pierre Salinger Hook, Line & Sinker - Jan, 2006

Hammer of Thor - July, 2005

David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus) on 10-22-2005
"But it is not isolated AUK has a massive impact the rest of usenet."

Please ask your admin to be adding alt.aratzio to your news server
alt.aratzio Usenet asshole Aratzio
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Aratzio

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:19:52 -0500, mimus
transparently proposed:

#1 is primary storage.
#2 is primarily back-up for #1.
#3 is eventual replacement for #1.

Eh. Oh. I do beg your pardon, but I think I need to talk to someone
normal.

(BTW, I strongly disapprove of Internet radio, or any other use of Internet
streaming for other than realtime coverage of RL events, and not even those
if they're routine-- SAVE THE INTERNET.)

((Screw Internet use of PDF files, the most bloated files on the planet,
too-- what the Hell's xhtml for, anyway?))

My *work* computer is a Pentium II 300 with 64M of memory. When I want
to take a break I just pull up a pdf file and go away for 10 minutes.

No one understands why I keep that dinosaur around. Silly fools.

--

AHM ****** Stomping Award - 2005

Pierre Salinger Hook, Line & Sinker - May, 2005
Pierre Salinger Hook, Line & Sinker - Jan, 2006

Hammer of Thor - July, 2005

David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus) on 10-22-2005
"But it is not isolated AUK has a massive impact the rest of usenet."

Please ask your admin to be adding alt.aratzio to your news server
alt.aratzio Usenet asshole Aratzio

Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
mimus

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:42:12 GMT, Aratzio wrote:

[...]

How do, like, the song titles make it to filenames, so yer music server
knows what's what? I mean, the song titles aren't on the CD itself, are
they? or are they?

and making
sure there are no errors and finding one and going back ripping the CD
again only to find there is a scratch and you have to go buy another
POS CD and then you find out it really was not a scratch but a cat
hair, a ****ing cat hair, how in the hell did that ****ing cat hair
get on my CD, was the cat playing my cds while I was out, I will wring
the scrawny *******s neck if he even thinks about touching my cds
again I hate it when my cat plays my cds I have told him and told hims
*don't touch the cds* but does he listen no he just sits there licking
his paw acting like he doesn't care and then waiting until i leave to
play my cds I am going to put in a web cam just so I can make sure the
******* never touches my cds again.

Take a deep breath, chill, go add some more HDs to yer new RAID.

--

smeeter 11 or maybe 12

mp 10

mhm 29x13

Big portal to underworld just over hill, next to poorhouse.

Laumer

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
mick

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:19:26 -0500, mc wrote:

snip

Yes. And run the analog audio outputs from the CD drives directly to an
external amplifier rather than through the soundcard.

Even better, get a decent soundcard (preferably with digital output to an
external amp) & throw the cd audio link away. CD drives don't usually have
good D/A converters on them. Digital audio extraction is the way to go!

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Remove blockage to use my email address

Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
trippy

In article , mimus took the
hamburger, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh wow"...

[...]

You should get Dave to make one.

--
trippy
mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

NP: "The Way It Is" -- Tesla

"Now, technology's getting better all the time and that's fine,
but most of the time all you need is a stick of gum, a pocketknife,
and a smile."

-- Robert Redford "Spy Game"

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Steven Sullivan

In rec.audio.opinion mc wrote:
I want a double- drawer- or- better *programmable* CD player, goddamit.

One which allows you to punch in, say, (some equivalent of) "-N" to mean
"play all tracks up to track N", and "N+" "play all tracks from N on",
and
"M-N" "play tracks M to N", all in programming sequences like "-J M-N P-Q
S+" (across different disks as well, of course).

(And I don't even have the spirit to put individual track level and--
ooh-ooh-- track crossfade control on my wish list.)

You want to be streaming your music from a computer, then.
Your needs are easily met, using something like foobar2000
to play lossless files.

Yes. And run the analog audio outputs from the CD drives directly to an
external amplifier rather than through the soundcard.

Or run a coaxial or optical digital out from the soundcard...assuming it has one.

___
-S
"Excuse me? What solid proof do you have that I'm insane?" - soundhaspriority

Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Aratzio

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:39:36 -0500, mimus
transparently proposed:

[...]

Nah, they has them databasy thingys them softheads be developing for
us hardheads.

Most of the ripping software has access to one or more. So titles is
easy. All else fails you just type a litte. Then there are the TAGS in
the files themselves that the player can read...

and making
sure there are no errors and finding one and going back ripping the CD
again only to find there is a scratch and you have to go buy another
POS CD and then you find out it really was not a scratch but a cat
hair, a ****ing cat hair, how in the hell did that ****ing cat hair
get on my CD, was the cat playing my cds while I was out, I will wring
the scrawny *******s neck if he even thinks about touching my cds
again I hate it when my cat plays my cds I have told him and told hims
*don't touch the cds* but does he listen no he just sits there licking
his paw acting like he doesn't care and then waiting until i leave to
play my cds I am going to put in a web cam just so I can make sure the
******* never touches my cds again.

Take a deep breath, chill, go add some more HDs to yer new RAID.

I hace Muddy Waters playing Walkin' Blues on my RIO Karme 20Gb music
player.

--

AHM ****** Stomping Award - 2005

Pierre Salinger Hook, Line & Sinker - May, 2005
Pierre Salinger Hook, Line & Sinker - Jan, 2006

Hammer of Thor - July, 2005

David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus) on 10-22-2005
"But it is not isolated AUK has a massive impact the rest of usenet."

Please ask your admin to be adding alt.aratzio to your news server
alt.aratzio Usenet asshole Aratzio
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Steven Sullivan

In rec.audio.opinion mimus wrote:
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:20:40 GMT, Aratzio wrote:

I own somewhere around 2,000 CDs and generally only stick them in my
computer once.

You have ~2K CDs' worth of audio information _stored_? where? on what?

I have 800 CDs stored losslessly on a small (paperback-book-sized)
external 300 GB hard drive. So I expect he either has at ~3X this storage
space, or is using lossy compression.

___

#1 is primary storage.
#2 is primarily back-up for #1.
#3 is eventual replacement for #1.

Eh. Oh. I do beg your pardon, but I think I need to talk to someone
normal.

(BTW, I strongly disapprove of Internet radio, or any other use of Internet
streaming for other than realtime coverage of RL events, and not even those
if they're routine-- SAVE THE INTERNET.)

((Screw Internet use of PDF files, the most bloated files on the planet,
too-- what the Hell's xhtml for, anyway?))

er..and you say *he's* not normal? You sound more than a bit weird
yourself, here.

___
-S
"Excuse me? What solid proof do you have that I'm insane?" - soundhaspriority
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Steven Sullivan

In rec.audio.opinion Aratzio wrote:
And the time spent ripping each and everyone of those CDs and making
sure there are no errors and finding one and going back ripping the CD
again only to find there is a scratch and you have to go buy another
POS CD and then you find out it really was not a scratch but a cat
hair, a ****ing cat hair, how in the hell did that ****ing cat hair
get on my CD, was the cat playing my cds while I was out, I will wring
the scrawny *******s neck if he even thinks about touching my cds
again I hate it when my cat plays my cds I have told him and told hims
*don't touch the cds* but does he listen no he just sits there licking
his paw acting like he doesn't care and then waiting until i leave to
play my cds I am going to put in a web cam just so I can make sure the
******* never touches my cds again.

LOL. Who knows what cats get up to while we're out? ( I always
assumed they were sleeping.)

Instead of buying the same CD, consider investing $35 in a benchtop
buffer/grinding wheel from Home Depot, and some car wax. Then you
can quickly buff out any scratches that EAC chokes on (assuming
they're not on the label side...then you're screwed).

___
-S
"Excuse me? What solid proof do you have that I'm insane?" - soundhaspriority
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Aratzio

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 20:41:14 +0000 (UTC), Steven Sullivan
transparently proposed:

[...]

I war kiddin
Can't say I have run accross many my plextor & eac could not handle.
And I usually buy used (only way to buy much blues anymore).

--

AHM ****** Stomping Award - 2005

Pierre Salinger Hook, Line & Sinker - May, 2005
Pierre Salinger Hook, Line & Sinker - Jan, 2006

Hammer of Thor - July, 2005

David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus) on 10-22-2005
"But it is not isolated AUK has a massive impact the rest of usenet."

Please ask your admin to be adding alt.aratzio to your news server
alt.aratzio Usenet asshole Aratzio

Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
mimus

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:16:18 -0600, trippy wrote:

[...]

Trying to program complex electronic devices with a ten- foot rubber pole
sounds 'way too hard for me.

#1 is primary storage.
#2 is primarily back-up for #1.
#3 is eventual replacement for #1.

Eh. Oh. I do beg your pardon, but I think I need to talk to someone
normal.

(BTW, I strongly disapprove of Internet radio, or any other use of Internet
streaming for other than realtime coverage of RL events, and not even those
if they're routine-- SAVE THE INTERNET.)

((Screw Internet use of PDF files, the most bloated files on the planet,
too-- what the Hell's xhtml for, anyway?))

er..and you say *he's* not normal? You sound more than a bit weird
yourself, here.

I'm the last surviving Defender of the Internet. Apparently.

--

smeeter 11 or maybe 12

mp 10

mhm 29x13

Big portal to underworld just over hill, next to poorhouse.

Laumer
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
mimus

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:16:30 GMT, Aratzio wrote:

[...]

"I Got the Cain't Buy No Mo' Blues No Mo' Blues"?

--

smeeter 11 or maybe 12

mp 10

mhm 29x13

Big portal to underworld just over hill, next to poorhouse.

Laumer
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Aratzio

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:36:19 -0500, mimus got
double secret probation because:

#1 is primary storage.
#2 is primarily back-up for #1.
#3 is eventual replacement for #1.

Eh. Oh. I do beg your pardon, but I think I need to talk to someone
normal.

(BTW, I strongly disapprove of Internet radio, or any other use of Internet
streaming for other than realtime coverage of RL events, and not even those
if they're routine-- SAVE THE INTERNET.)

((Screw Internet use of PDF files, the most bloated files on the planet,
too-- what the Hell's xhtml for, anyway?))

er..and you say *he's* not normal? You sound more than a bit weird
yourself, here.

I'm the last surviving Defender of the Internet. Apparently.

No, Adam Kerman is still over in alt.config.

--

alt.hackers.malicious - ****** Stomping Award - 2005

alt.usenet.kooks - Pierre Salinger Hook, Line & Sinker - May, 2005
alt.usenet.kooks - Pierre Salinger Hook, Line & Sinker - Jan, 2006

alt.usenet.kooks - Hammer of Thor - July, 2005

alt.flame - Worst Flame War - 2005

Please ask your admin to be adding alt.aratzio to your news server
alt.aratzio Usenet asshole Aratzio

David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus) on 10-22-2005
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
[...]

Leftovers from the trying to vault over the house days?

#1 is primary storage.
#2 is primarily back-up for #1.
#3 is eventual replacement for #1.

Eh. Oh. I do beg your pardon, but I think I need to talk to someone
normal.

(BTW, I strongly disapprove of Internet radio, or any other use of Internet
streaming for other than realtime coverage of RL events, and not even those
if they're routine-- SAVE THE INTERNET.)

((Screw Internet use of PDF files, the most bloated files on the planet,
too-- what the Hell's xhtml for, anyway?))

er..and you say *he's* not normal? You sound more than a bit weird
yourself, here.

I'm the last surviving Defender of the Internet. Apparently.

Internet radio streaming made me surrender.

--
trippy
mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30
sTaRShInE_mOOnBeAm aT HoTmAil dOt CoM

NP: "The Way It Is" -- Tesla

"Now, technology's getting better all the time and that's fine,
but most of the time all you need is a stick of gum, a pocketknife,
and a smile."

-- Robert Redford "Spy Game"

Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
dave hillstrom

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 17:34:39 -0500, mimus
wrote:

[...]

you dont know what youre missin, mister.

--
dave hillstrom
flonker emeritus
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

mimus wrote:
I want a double- drawer- or- better *programmable* CD player, goddamit.

Oh. Is that all? I thought this was a final demand from Mr. Sound.

Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Shirley

mimus wrote:
[...]

Breaks Vow Of Silence

Don't you know that being in control of anything is just an illusion?

Goes Back To Lurking Mode

Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
mimus

On 26 Mar 2006 03:10:11 -0800, paul packer wrote:

mimus wrote:

I want a double- drawer- or- better *programmable* CD player, goddamit.

Oh. Is that all? I thought this was a final demand from Mr. Sound.

I'd guess he could be fobbed off with a recommendation of a dedicated home
studio system.

--

smeeter 11 or maybe 12

mp 10

mhm 29x13

You want a job and a lizard to ride?

_The Einstein Intersection_

Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
mimus

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:48:05 -0500, Shirley wrote:

mimus wrote:
[...]

Why are you in lurking mode, may one ask?

Miffed? succumbed to "the followup fallacy"?

--

smeeter 11 or maybe 12

mp 10

mhm 29x13

Big portal to underworld just over hill, next to poorhouse.

Laumer
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Shirley

mimus wrote:
[...]

I tripped over my rocking chair trying not to step on Kittie.. ended up with
two buggered up toes on my left foot, broke some blood vessels in my right
hand (two fingers) that I use for writing and typing..bruised both knees and
above the right knee I have about a 6 inch bruise/rugburn. Everything is
healing, but for now I am mainly just reading posts... I was very thankful
that I did not break any major bones...

Miffed? succumbed to "the followup fallacy"?

Argumentum ex silento?

Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
mimus

mimus wrote:
[...]

Stick the cat in the freezer.

It's already tried to murder you once.

--

smeeter 11 or maybe 12

mp 10

mhm 29x13

Big portal to underworld just over hill, next to poorhouse.

Laumer
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

mimus said:

I tripped over my rocking chair trying not to step on Kittie.. ended up with
two buggered up toes on my left foot, broke some blood vessels in my right
hand (two fingers) that I use for writing and typing..bruised both knees and
above the right knee I have about a 6 inch bruise/rugburn. Everything is
healing, but for now I am mainly just reading posts... I was very thankful
that I did not break any major bones...

Stick the cat in the freezer.

You don't get it, do you?

It's already tried to murder you once.

I bet you have a Walmart stereo as well.

--

- Never argue with idiots, they drag you down their level and beat you with experience. -
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
knoxy

In article , Shirley,
says...

mimus wrote:
[...]

OUCH!!!
I hope you feel better soon.

hugs

Miffed? succumbed to "the followup fallacy"?

Argumentum ex silento?

--
knoxy
mhm34x10
smeeter #6
#6 on mimus wanted poster list
Best Newbie in alt.flame 2005

"The Internet is a gateway to get on the net."
Bob Dole

Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
dave hillstrom

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 00:21:34 +0100, knoxy wrote:

In article , Shirley,
says...

mimus wrote:
[...]

that kitty better be a little nicer to you now. the beast.

--
dave hillstrom
flonker emeritus
(but not as emeritus as lorrill buyens. shes so emeritus, shes on her third set of hands.)
((gosh i was nice with that last one..))
.. -- sigzip
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Shirley

mimus wrote:
[...]

She is in her favorite spot as I type this post...laying beside my rocker on
her blankie...I am just going to be more aware of my feet and the chair when
I get up...

I was in Ashland, Virginia Saturday...that is just above Richmond...Hubby
and I met our daughter there and she now has the grandkids for one whole
week of spring break. I have one whole week of peace and quiet without the
resident alien evul grandkids...that was the first semi-longish trip I have
been on since 2004 when I had to make a trip to New York State for my Mom's
funeral. I sure was stiff and in pain when I got back home...

#1 is primary storage.
#2 is primarily back-up for #1.
#3 is eventual replacement for #1.

DUM DUM DUM DUM!

*shakes head*

What kind of a retard would store audio in uncompressed PCM format?

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹

Hatter Quotes
-------------
"I'm not a professional, I'm an artist."

"The more I learn the more I'm killing my idols."

"Is it wrong to incur and then use the hate ridden, vengeful stupidity
of complete strangers in random Usenet froups to further my art?"

"Freedom is only a concept, like race it's merely a social construct
that doesn't really exist outside of your ability to convince others
of its relevancy."

"Next time slow up a lil, then maybe you won't jump the gun and start
creamin yer panties before it's time to pop the champagne proper."

"Reality is directly proportionate to how creative you are."

"People are pretty ****ing high on themselves if they think that
they're just born with a soul. *snicker*...yeah, like they're just
givin em out for free."

"Quible, quible said the Hare. Quite a lot of quibling...everywhere.
So the Hare took a long stare and decided at best, to leave the rest,
to their merry little mess."

"There's a difference between 'bad' and 'so earth shatteringly
horrible it makes the angels scream in terror as they violently rip
their heads off, their blood spraying into the faces of a thousand
sweet innocent horrified children, who will forever have the terrible
images burned into their tiny little minds'."

"How sad that you're such a poor judge of style that you can't even
properly gauge the artistic worth of your own efforts."

"Those who record history are those who control history."

"Is my .sig delimiter broken? Really? You're sure? Awww,
gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Posted to alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion
Onideus Mad Hatter

wrote:

Yup.
BUT the caveat is that to actually achieve the *same* quality as the
original you have to use a lossless format.

WRONG!

WAV is a 1:1 of the CDDA track

Um...Bumbles, WAV is a CONTAINER FORMAT, meaning you can use just
about any codec in the thing...including MP3. What you're doing is
taking the CDDA track, which is encoded in uncompressed PCM and then
ripping it to a WAV file using the same uncompressed PCM.

which is about 10M of storage per minute of music (IIRC).

....well that would depend on what sampling rate you're using, how many
channels, precision, etc.

So you
need LOTS of storage even if you use a compressed lossless format like
FLAC or APE (40-60% compression).

D00d, seriously, your knowledge of audio compression is like close to
a decade out of date.

However if you have either tin ears, hearing loss, old age or crappy
speakers the MP3, OGG and apple lossy formats will work just fine and
are usually about 1-2M per minute of music.

Depends entirely on what bit and sample rates you're using. Only
amateurs think that an audio codec means only one type of quality.

Further, "lossy" codecs like MP3 work off psychoacoustic models that
remove sounds that aren't detectable humans...so unless you're
claiming to have supersonic hearing or you're just using a REALLY low,
constant bit rate (like 128kbps), yeah, yer full of ****.

And the time spent ripping each and everyone of those CDs and making
sure there are no errors and finding one and going back rippiSLAP

Um, as idiot as you are you obviously haven't realized that data
integrity is NOT absolute and all that music you ripped...yeah, did
you make a PAR/2 recovery set? Cause if you haven't, well, yer gonna
be ****ed when you start encountering bit level corruption (that's
when you play yer music files and you hear a high pitched squeak for a
brief second.

--

[...]

I Want Control! Complete and Total Control! mimus Audio Opinions 38 April 6th 06 01:38 AM
It's amazing what you can find when you look. Audio Opinions 76 December 3rd 05 07:33 AM
Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 05:17 PM
Sub Amps - a Follow up Question T Tech 26 April 29th 05 05:26 PM