Default Which PC Soundcard for best audio quality?

I want to upgrade from my Aardvark Q10 soundcard and my main concern is
sound quality. Is the Lynx2 soundcard still the best?

My acoustics, mic and pre-amp are top notch (I believe) so now my A/D
soundcard is the most likely candidate for an upgrade. I'd really
appreciate some advice.

Regards,

Iggy

Well, the Aardvark is (was, alas) really good value for money but the
A/D's are only 24/44.1 (I have one of the early ones) and looking at
the age and price of the A/D's I'd be surprised if they would be top
notch.

In my little recording room I have a Neuman M149, a Manley Voxbox and
the acoustics are fairly well under control. So, the A/D conversion is
the most likely candidate for an update.

So... is there a soundcard with high-end A/D's (Lynx2 maybe?) or should
I buy an external A/D and route it to the PC trough a AES/SPDIF or
firewire connection??

I want to upgrade from my Aardvark Q10 soundcard and my main concern

is
sound quality. Is the Lynx2 soundcard still the best?

My acoustics, mic and pre-amp are top notch (I believe) so now my A/D
soundcard is the most likely candidate for an upgrade. I'd really
appreciate some advice.

Regards,

Iggy

Iggy,
I have a Lynx L22 that sounds great to me. Recently did some recording
using my PC in local studio. Tracked some vocals using an Amek pre and
a U87 through the Lynx converters. The results were first rate.

DaveT

Adam

I would use external A/D and D/A. Sound cards which do this inside the PC
usually have noise problems from the electrical noise inside the computer
and on the PCI bus. Convert it to digital externally and pipe it in that
way for best results; either AES/SPDIF or USB/Firewire, doesn't really
matter.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, the Aardvark is (was, alas) really good value for money but the
A/D's are only 24/44.1 (I have one of the early ones) and looking at
the age and price of the A/D's I'd be surprised if they would be top
notch.

In my little recording room I have a Neuman M149, a Manley Voxbox and
the acoustics are fairly well under control. So, the A/D conversion is
the most likely candidate for an update.

So... is there a soundcard with high-end A/D's (Lynx2 maybe?) or should
I buy an external A/D and route it to the PC trough a AES/SPDIF or
firewire connection??

RD Jones

Adam wrote:

I would use external A/D and D/A. Sound cards which do this inside

the PC
usually have noise problems from the electrical noise inside the

computer
and on the PCI bus. Convert it to digital externally and pipe it in

that
way for best results; either AES/SPDIF or USB/Firewire, doesn't

really
matter.

I have never experienced these noise issues
with my internal converters (Echo Mia).
I don't doubt however that it may be a
source of the garbage one gets with
a SoundBlaster.

rd

Arny Krueger

Well, the Aardvark is (was, alas) really good value for

money but the
A/D's are only 24/44.1 (I have one of the early ones) and

looking at
the age and price of the A/D's I'd be surprised if they

would be top
notch.

What's wrong with 24/44?

It is fairly well known that in genearal, recordings made at
higher data rates are not audibly corrupted by being
recorded and played back at 24/44, given that it is
reasonably well executed.

In my little recording room I have a Neuman M149, a Manley

Voxbox and
the acoustics are fairly well under control. So, the A/D

conversion is
the most likely candidate for an update.

Speaking as someone who yesterday made a recording with 18
microphones, that's one simple sweet little situation you
have there.

So... is there a soundcard with high-end A/D's (Lynx2

maybe?)

I have a LynxTWO - its a fine audio interface. At the time
it was developed about two or three years ago, it had some
of the most expensive converter chips that were on the
market.

I'd challenge you though to do some *serious* testing of
your audio interface, though.
www.pcabx.com is web site
whose home page sets forth standards for subjective testing
of audio interfaces that is as high as are known to exist.
Procedures for conclusively testing the sound quality of
audio interfaces are provided by means of example, at
http://www.pcabx.com/product/soundcard/index.htm . Try them
or some personal variation of them on your existing
hardware, and if you are so inclined, report back to us.

or should I buy an external A/D and route it to the PC

trough a
AES/SPDIF or firewire connection??

No, that's a waste of time and money - one that creates
unecessary additional complexity.

Arny Krueger

Adam wrote:
I would use external A/D and D/A. Sound cards which do

this inside
the PC usually have noise problems from the electrical

noise inside
the computer and on the PCI bus.

This is an old wife's tale.

Convert it to digital externally
and pipe it in that way for best results; either AES/SPDIF

or
USB/Firewire, doesn't really matter.

If you use a high quality audio interface such as a LynxTWO
as your standard, you will be hard put to find an external
interface with lower noise.

http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/LynxTWO/index.htm

The world is full of external converters with lower
technical performance.

Bob Cain

Arny Krueger wrote:

or should I buy an external A/D and route it to the PC

trough a

AES/SPDIF or firewire connection??

No, that's a waste of time and money - one that creates
unecessary additional complexity.

While it may no longer have a noise advantage, I don't find
it additionally complex at all and value the flexibility
that such an external interface provides. I don't even look
at PCI based front ends any more.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Thanks for all the info! Arny, thanks for the link, I realize now you
know a lot more about SoundCards then I do.

You are probably right that I'll hear little difference between the Q10
and the Lynx2. Still, I'm a perfectionist and happy with that so I'll
probably buy the Lynx2. My only concern is that the A/D's are over
three years old and kinda aging as far as converter lifespans go..