Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default High pitched noise is affected by mouse movement.

I'm using a Presonus 1810 as my main interface for Windows 10.
I hadn't had any problems. Recently (since having to work at
home) I've been dual booting into Linux. I could not get any
sound out of the Presonus (kernel 5.7 is supposed to have support)
so I installed an old Echo Mia MIDI PCI card which works nicely
under Linux.

So I dug out an old stereo RCA A/B/C switch that I've had for
decades. I attached the output from each interface into the
A/B ports, so now when I switch OS, I can just punch a button
and hear the appropriate interface through my amplifier.

With this configuration, I started to notice a just audible,
but unacceptable high pitch hum coming from the main speakers.
It is very close to 1000Hz and is somewhat sporadic, cutting in
and out, and at least partially affected by mouse movement.

The Presonus goes into the 'A' port on the switch, and the
Echo into the 'B' port. If I plug the Echo into the 'C' port,
the sound is about half as loud, but still present. The sound
is coming through the Presonus - switching to B or C stops the
sound, although the main volume knob does not affect anything.

If I unplug the MIA outputs from the switch, the sound is gone.
As soon as I bring either Echo output to the switch, with the
Presonus selected, the sound comes back.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

I should note that I've disabled the Mia MIDI in Windows
through the device manager.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 13/04/2020 2:15 am, Tobiah wrote:
I should note that I've disabled the Mia MIDI in Windows
through the device manager.

Ground loops and weird **** from the interface SMPSs ?

But what to do about it ....

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/12/2020 9:56 AM, Tobiah wrote:
If I unplug the MIA outputs from the switch, the sound is gone.
As soon as I bring either Echo output to the switch, with the
Presonus selected, the sound comes back.

Sounds like some garbage is getting from the computer chassis to the
switch through the shield of the cable going between the Mia output and
switch. This isn't the same as a ground loop even though the garbage is
carried through the ground wire.

An isolation transformer might fix it, or maybe disconnecting the shield
from one end of the cable(s) from the Mia output.

PS - This is NOT a ground loop even though it involves a ground wire.

PSS - 1 kHz isn't "hum," it's "whine."

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Oh, and the computer connected to a Cable TV system? There's notorious
noise generators.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Tobiah wrote:
I'm using a Presonus 1810 as my main interface for Windows 10.
I hadn't had any problems. Recently (since having to work at
home) I've been dual booting into Linux. I could not get any
sound out of the Presonus (kernel 5.7 is supposed to have support)
so I installed an old Echo Mia MIDI PCI card which works nicely
under Linux.

So I dug out an old stereo RCA A/B/C switch that I've had for
decades. I attached the output from each interface into the
A/B ports, so now when I switch OS, I can just punch a button
and hear the appropriate interface through my amplifier.

With this configuration, I started to notice a just audible,
but unacceptable high pitch hum coming from the main speakers.
It is very close to 1000Hz and is somewhat sporadic, cutting in
and out, and at least partially affected by mouse movement.

Yes, this is how it is.

Your computer is a festering sea of noise. Any ground associated with the
computer is hopelessly polluted.

Create even a tiny ground loop and you have a disaster.

Balanced lines are your friends.

The Presonus goes into the 'A' port on the switch, and the
Echo into the 'B' port. If I plug the Echo into the 'C' port,
the sound is about half as loud, but still present. The sound
is coming through the Presonus - switching to B or C stops the
sound, although the main volume knob does not affect anything.

If I unplug the MIA outputs from the switch, the sound is gone.
As soon as I bring either Echo output to the switch, with the
Presonus selected, the sound comes back.

Yes, because the ground on the MIA is full of trash and you are
creating a loop here between the two devices. Use a balanced connection
and lift the signal ground.