Sam Carleton

Default Class D vs Class A/B amps

I am putting Boston Acoustics through out my car, including sub. My
objective is sound quality first and SPL second. A sales man, who
seems to know what he is talking about 50% of the time, told me that
a Class D amp has more distortion then a Class A/B amp. He
continued and stated that considering the system I am putting
together, there would be a noticable difference in SQ if I opted for
a class D over an A/B. He is blowing smoke or is he right?

As a reference point, I am looking at using the Zapco 650
(http://www.zapco.com) to power three different sets of speakers:
rear (Boston Pro 6.5 system), dash (Boston Pro 4.5 system), and
midbass in the door (Boston Pro 6.5 woofer)

Sam

--
See my links engine for a collection of sites that
might be of interest to you. Your additions will
scott johnson

"Sam Carleton" wrote in message
I am putting Boston Acoustics through out my car, including sub. My
objective is sound quality first and SPL second. A sales man, who
seems to know what he is talking about 50% of the time, told me that
a Class D amp has more distortion then a Class A/B amp. He
continued and stated that considering the system I am putting
together, there would be a noticable difference in SQ if I opted for
a class D over an A/B. He is blowing smoke or is he right?

As a reference point, I am looking at using the Zapco 650
(http://www.zapco.com) to power three different sets of speakers:
rear (Boston Pro 6.5 system), dash (Boston Pro 4.5 system), and
midbass in the door (Boston Pro 6.5 woofer)

Sam

class d is for subwoofers only. and you won't be able to hear the distortion
difference..

scott johnson

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Class D is *not* for subs only. Infinity used to make a full-range class

amp and there is a company that does now, but I can't remember who it is.

Paul Vina

Let me add then : "In most cases". i was unaware that anyone made a class D
full range amp.

Daniel Ruiz

Xtant now does...

Danny D. Ruiz | How many times do you hear it? It goes
| on all day long. Everyone knows
| everything, and no one's ever wrong...
1998-1999 U.M. Band of the Hour Tuba| Until later...- Rush (Show Don't Tell)
2000-2001 Boston Crusaders Contra ----------------------------------------
2002-2003 FIU Banda del Sol Tuba section leader...

John Durbin

Xtant makes a 100 watt full-range class D amp as of this year.

JD
why I'm not sure :-)

Paul Vina wrote:

[...]

Tony Hwang

Hi,
Theoretically he is right but at sub woofer range of frequency, I don't
think distortion matters that much.
Tony