Bob Cain

hank alrich wrote:

George wrote:

Cry me a ****ing river will ya
someone steals, gets caught is offed a way out and I am supposed to feel
thier pain?
served them right
pay the fine and stop stealing

A single mother who gets twelve bucks an hour is supposed to casually
pay four grand? Hello, George?

Probably not when all is said and done, but what she is
really supposed to do is be noticed by all the other single
mothers with 14 year olds online that make 12 bucks an hour.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Tommy B

No , but her 15 year old daughter can be made to work it off, in someway.
What about as an intern in for record label? She can learn and pay off her
debt. I bet she'll do real well there.
First lesson: How we steal from the Artists.

Tom

"hank alrich" wrote in message
.. .

--
ha

Mike

George wrote in message ...
Cry me a ****ing river will ya
someone steals, gets caught is offed a way out and I am supposed to feel
thier pain?
served them right
pay the fine and stop stealing
George

Racketeering, anit-competition/anti-trust behavior, extortion and all
the other things that are the primary practice of the RIAA are illegal
and some carry a sentence of life in prison.

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

serious fun

Let's get some things straight here (and I'm not directing this only at you,
G).

The RIAA does not represent 100% of the record industry. In fact, most
estimates give it about 55% of the record industry, concentrated in a few
companies (ask the majority of the smaller record labels on the RIAA list if
they believe the RIAA has provided a net benefit). Over the last five years,
according to the RIAAs own numbers (the only ones widely available), sales
are down, oh, 18%. These same companies have realeased, oh, 18% fewer
titles. DUH!!!!!!

In the same time frame, the non-RIAA companies and independents have sales
that are UP about...................................18%, again from the
RIAA's own numbers.

Who's suffering here?

Do consumers still buy music?

The RIAA has assumed the responsibility of the local, state, and federal
prosecuters, stacking congress with lawmakers who are too stupid to know
that a download is not the same as a CD (even if is is, is the theft of a CD
more than a misdemenor, requiring a small fine, restitution, a slap on the
wrist...?), that digital does not equal perfect (do our congressmen not read
RAP????), and that each file-trade does not equal a sale lost!

If you are in the music industry, and you have a brain, you are aware of
Soundscan, and how Soundscan has helped to expose a little of the greed of
the lawyers and bean-counters who make up the record labels.

Are you also aware of Big Champagne www.bigchampagne.com? It tracks files
traded over the internet. Assuming a percentage of them don't get completed
or are spoofs, Big Champagne is a pretty reliable tool. The RIAA and
affiliated companies use it to track the poplularity of their songs...think
about that one. One thing that is undeniable: track Big Champagne and you
will see that each day, week, month, year...the songs that are traded the
most are sold the most. The songs that sell, according to the RIAA's own
numbers, are the songs that are traded the most.

Who's losing here?

Do people still buy music?

Deeper issues of how copyright law is in the hands of the foxes (or disneys)
instead of the hens in the henhouse and should be deeply revised, how
artists can sit by passively and whine or take matters into their own hands
and create a career, and how we can't just sit around and do things as they
always have been done, can and should be discussed.

C'mon, our vocations and avocations are at stake here, this is serious
business, and we have to get a clear understanding of these issues!

There is still music to be made, and there is still money to be made from
music!

"George" wrote in message
Cry me a ****ing river will ya
someone steals, gets caught is offed a way out and I am supposed to feel
thier pain?
served them right
pay the fine and stop stealing
George

EggHd

The songs that sell, according to the RIAA's own
numbers, are the songs that are traded the most.

Gee. The most popular songs are "traded" the most. How unusual. The labels pay
for the marketing and promotion. I believe you are trying to say that somehow
people found out about this great music, traded it and then everyone bought it.
Nope.

---------------------------------------

serious fun

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Do me a favor, track the songs sold against the songs traded for a few
weeks, and ask yourself if more songs were sold, the same amount of songs
were sold, or fewer songs were sold.

Our livelyhoods are at stake here, and you are fiddling on the deck of the
Titanic.

I don't think any "label" paid for any song to be marketed or promoted to
this market. The labels sure pay independent promoters to pay Cheap Channel
to play a few songs alot...

You are in denial.

"EggHd" wrote in message
The songs that sell, according to the RIAA's own
numbers, are the songs that are traded the most.

Gee. The most popular songs are "traded" the most. How unusual. The

labels pay
for the marketing and promotion. I believe you are trying to say that

somehow
people found out about this great music, traded it and then everyone

bought it.
Nope.

---------------------------------------

EggHd

Do me a favor, track the songs sold against the songs traded for a few
weeks, and ask yourself if more songs were sold, the same amount of songs
were sold, or fewer songs were sold.

How would you know if they weren't being traded?

That's bull****.

I don't think any "label" paid for any song to be marketed or promoted to
this market.

Exactly! They have paid to drive awareness to a performer and song. How do
you figure Mr internet trader knows to look for the biggest songs? Esp? Then
peole go look for it. The trick would be if the songs were downloaded before
anyone knew the artist and or song was released.

The labels sure pay independent promoters to pay Cheap Channel
to play a few songs alot...

This shows what you don't understand.

You are in denial.

If so at least it's informed denial.

---------------------------------------

serious fun

Very reasonable.

Maybe people buy a song after they've downloaded it, or maybe they download
it after they've bought it, or maybe this is two completely different set of
people. In any case, we probably won't know for another 25 years...like
anything else, it is probably a reasonable mix of the possibilities.

Just as, in this low-margin scenario, a few lost sales can make a big dent,
a few sales made from cost-free marketing can also add tremendously to the
bottom line. I'm not necessarily advocating for this simplistic solution,
but it can be reasonably argued that file-trading is revenue-neutral or
better.

They want a piece of that.

That's the point. In light of today's technology, and tomorrow's, the
existing entertainment companies can stick with old business models that may
or may not be working or they can devise a way to profit and prosper.
Darwinian economics.

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

One thing that is undeniable: track Big Champagne and you
will see that each day, week, month, year...the songs that are traded

the
most are sold the most. The songs that sell, according to the RIAA's own
numbers, are the songs that are traded the most.

I would expect that, but not for the reason that people download a
song then buy it (which would be a good thing).

While "they" want us to think that downloading unpaid-for copies of
music is running rampant, most people still get their music the old
fashioned way. They hear a song on the radio, on TV, or in an
elevator, and they go out and buy the disk. Like most businesses based
on massive unit quantities of sales (like gasoline, for instance)
there is only a small profit on each sale. Losing just a few percent
of the potential customers can make a big dent in the books.

The downloaders who don't pay for popular music do have an effect on
the bottom line, but still the music doesn't get popular enough for
them to notice and be able to find easily on the net unless it's sold
in reasonable numbers. So in essence, existing sales are advertising
for no-profit downloads. They want a piece of that.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

hank alrich

serious fun wrote:

I'm not necessarily advocating for this simplistic solution,
but it can be reasonably argued that file-trading is revenue-neutral or
better.

I don't see how it can be either for the composer/author or publisher,
given that to date no real mechanism is in place to get payment(s) like
those received for radio and TV play, the performance royalties. There
is more to this than just the impact on "consumer(s)", performer(s), and
label(s).

--
ha

Justin Ulysses Morse

Mike Rivers wrote:

So in essence, existing sales are advertising
for no-profit downloads. They want a piece of that.

Then they should ask for it. How can I complain that nobody puts money
in my hand if I don't hold out my hand and open my palm? For the last
5 years of music downloads, nobody has refused to pay for their
downloads because they haven't had the opportunity to refuse. They
simply haven't been given the opportunity to pay. If they've since
developed a preference for not paying, who can we blame but the guys
who refused to collect? Their complaint is that nobody has been paying
for what they refused to sell.

ulysses
George

Justin Ulysses Morse wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:

So in essence, existing sales are advertising
for no-profit downloads. They want a piece of that.

Then they should ask for it. How can I complain that nobody puts money
in my hand if I don't hold out my hand and open my palm? For the last
5 years of music downloads, nobody has refused to pay for their
downloads because they haven't had the opportunity to refuse. They
simply haven't been given the opportunity to pay. If they've since
developed a preference for not paying, who can we blame but the guys
who refused to collect? Their complaint is that nobody has been paying
for what they refused to sell.

ulysses

try to sell that line of logic to the movie industry, who is much deeper
into this than the music industry.
your very premise is faulty, becuse someone figured out a new way to
steal they should be exempt from the law?
George

DrBoom

Justin Ulysses Morse wrote in message om...
Mike Rivers wrote:

So in essence, existing sales are advertising
for no-profit downloads. They want a piece of that.

Then they should ask for it. How can I complain that nobody puts money
in my hand if I don't hold out my hand and open my palm? For the last
5 years of music downloads, nobody has refused to pay for their
downloads because they haven't had the opportunity to refuse. They
simply haven't been given the opportunity to pay. If they've since
developed a preference for not paying, who can we blame but the guys
who refused to collect? Their complaint is that nobody has been paying
for what they refused to sell.

You don't know how right you are. I was employee #3 of a pioneering
online music venture. If what I saw and heard was typical, the labels
make it as hard as possible to give them money. The level of paranoia
is staggering...

-DrBoom

Bob Olhsson

The only people being sued are those who made music files available to
others, NOT people who just downloaded music. She should consider herself
lucky that criminal charges weren't filed in addition. The mom actually
earns MORE than the average songwriter does.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

Echo Mia-MIDI with a Phono PreAmp or TerraTec DMX 6FIRE 24/96 With Software RIAA? Jimmy The Clam Tech 164 May 4th 04 07:20 AM
RIAA loses big, Dutch cort adds to sting [email protected] Pro Audio 118 December 22nd 03 01:38 PM
New RIAA Twist? John Payne Pro Audio 11 October 28th 03 05:11 AM
RIAA lawsuits question Craig Mitchell Pro Audio 161 October 25th 03 03:48 AM