McEowen

Default Sony TAN-8550/TAE-8450

Sony TAN-8550 amplifier
Sony TAE-8450 pre-amp

If you're a fan of '70s stereo gear you know about these items. The pair
retailed new for more than $2,000 and the amp is regarded as one of the first
VFET amps on the market. Highly desirable stuff here.

I'm offering the pair on this newsgroup for $300 + shipping for a limited time.
Then they're going on ebay. Expect shipping costs to approach $80 for the pair.
This amp weighs a ton (or at least it seems dang near a ton).

The bad news is they both have problems. One channel of the amp does not seem
to be working. Also, the meters on the pre-amp don't light up. I don't know if
that's just a bulb issue or something more serious. Those of you in the know
realize that the meters were one of the coolest things about these units so
this may be factor you want to consider.

Also, the bottom right corner on the front of the amp's face plate is dented
ever so slightly. Otherwise, this equipment is in excellent condition. They
aren't full of dust and neither emits any suspicious smells. Seems like they've
both been taken care of.

Frankly, I don't know much about this stuff. I picked them up in trade from a
local used record store that sold some old audio equipment for me on
consignment. Rather than take cash I took this stuff. You can read reviews of
this gear at these web sites. They'll tell you more than I can:

http://www.multi.fi/~samppo/sony_tan8550.html
http://www.multi.fi/~samppo/sony_tae8450.html