Howard Griffin

Default Please help me with cassette deck to amp connections

I have set up a NAD 3120 amp, a Nakamichi DR-3 cassette deck (both
recently bought on ebay), and my old Pioneer turntable (with new
Ortofon cart.) to transfer cassettes and LPs to CD. I have
successfully made CDs from LPs already. But I have a problem with the
cassette hookups. The Nak has two sets of RCA jacks: "Line Output"
and "Line Input", The NAD tape section has three connections: RCA
jacks labeled "Tape Rec" and "Tape Play", and a third squat, black
circular socket labeled "Tape Play/Rec". (I do not know anything
about this third socket.) I have the NAD's "Tape Rec" connected to my
soundcard's line in and it works great for LP recording. The problem
is that when I connect the Nak's "Line Output" to the NAD's "Tape
Play" there is no signal output. To get a recordable signal from the
tape deck I have to connect the Nak's "Line Output" to the NAD's "AUX"
jacks. Is this normal? Shouldn't I be able to get a signal out of
the cassette deck by connecting the deck's "Line Output" to the amp's
"Tape Play"? Is something broken on the amp? (And yes, I have
engaged the "Tape" button on the front of the amp.) Is it acceptable
to use the amp's "AUX" section to receive the cassette deck's "Line
Output" signal? Many thanks.

-Howard Griffin
Per Stromgren

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 11:42:46 -0500, Howard Griffin
wrote:

Is this normal? Shouldn't I be able to get a signal out of
the cassette deck by connecting the deck's "Line Output" to the amp's
"Tape Play"? Is something broken on the amp?

No, the amp work as specified. Tape units are connected so that they
receive signal from *other* sources (selected by an "Input" selector),
but not from itself, it would not make sense. In your case, the tape
unit is actually two: the Nak and your soundcard, but your amp does
not know that. When you hit "tape" your amp will take its input from
the "tape play" connector, but still send the selected source to "tape
record".

I would connect the tape deck directly to the sound card while
transferring tapes, if I were you.

Quote from the NAD 310 manual (found on
http://www.nadelectronics.com/support/manuals.html)
"TAPE MONITOR: The TAPE MONITOR button lets
you listen to the output signal from a tape deck or signal
processor connected to the TAPE jacks on the
rear panel. Press IN to engage, press again (OUT) to
disengage.
When TAPE MONITOR is engaged, the source
chosen by the INPUT SELECTOR continues to be
fed to the TAPE REC jacks for recording or processing,
but the signal returning from the tape recorder or
signal processor is selected for listening.
TAPE MONITOR has no effect on signals that are
being recorded from the rear panel inputs to TAPE
REC."

Per.

Howard Griffin

Thanks for the advice. So I guess the *only* way to set this up is to
use the AUX section of the NAD, correct? It does seem to work fine
this way.

wrote:

[...]

Richard Crowley

Your amplifier is working properly. You are seeing a problem
because you are not using it as originally intended.

Originally, the tape deck was the recording device and the amp
is wired so that it never feeds the signal FROM the recorder back
TO the recorder. This would not only not make sense, but would
set up a horrendous feedback loop which could blow your speakers
if you had them operating at a significant level.

The solution is to just connect the output of your cassette deck
to one of the other line-level inputs on the amplifier (like "Aux"
as you suggested) and re-label the selector switch appropriately.
This assumes that you have the "Tape Rec" connected ONLY to
your computer, and NEVER to the cassette machine or you will
encounter the aforementioned feedback loop.

Per Stromgren

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:09:20 -0500, Howard Griffin
wrote:

Thanks for the advice. So I guess the *only* way to set this up is to
use the AUX section of the NAD, correct? It does seem to work fine
this way.

That is correct, for this application.

Per.