Mike

Default Any Home diyers looking for a "DREAM" 12" Seas Excel like low distortion/transparency driver with FR-2khz???

Stephen from TC Sounds (one of the largest woofer
distributers/manufacturers in the world) has proposed to build a
woofer if 50 people buy it. There must be 50 people that will buy the
drivers or he cannot make it. This is the catch, really. It will not
be built unless I can find a way to get others to jump on my wagon.
There's a few on Madisound board that are in. I'm sure I can make
this happen because I have a feeling Dan has worked with TC and
Stephen (having been in this industry long enough) knows what's
happening with speaker technology. I also have a feeling diyers among
others don't even get to see the REAL DEAL that they make for all the
manufacturers they work with (kinda like we never know what is
happening behind those closed govt./cia/whitehouse doors). Well,
now's our window of opportunity IMO to prove our concepts/knowledge of
physics wrong OR to end up with still very good drivers that didn't
quite cut it. I have a very good feeling about this one (I like my
instinct when I listen to it!).

Now, it can be anything we want it to be. So I'm here to say that he
claims he can make a driver that is (my ideal driver):

12"
Multiple copper rings to keep distortion down big time.
Distortion as low or lower than Seas Excel all the way up to 2khz!!!
(that's right, similar/lower distortion in the midrange where it is
necessary for accurate sound).
High sensitivity=95db/1watt or greater.
Phase plug a possibility.
Xmax much greater than the typical high sensitivity drivers.
FR from 20-2khz with lowest distortion possible (I bring up Seas Excel
because it has been tested and is proven by sound to human ears as the
lowest distortion/most accurate driver in existence).
Cone material=Aluminum or Paper.
QTS should be .5 or higher for sealed box or dipole applications.

Anyone want in? It sounds like a miracle to me, but this is what I've
wanted to have for years and I know it is possible. Think about what
Dan Wiggins recently proposed with his 16mm xmax 6.5" driver that also
has flat fR-7khz AND lower distortion numbers than the Seas Excel (I
think we may have a new generation coming here folks!!!)...

I and a few others are in. We need more to commit. Take a chance, you
might treat yourself to the best sound you can get, PERIOD.

Think of it this way, a 12" driver with the transparency/accuracy of a
Seas Excel W18 AND that gives you high sensitivity/greater x-max(and
similar FR...well, except this driver will go to 20hz!).

Too good to be true? I and a few others are willing to wager on it.
Hopefully we can get total of 50 that are needed. Go to
http://www.madisound.com and see the posts there.

Thanks for reading!
Mike

P.S. Sorry to sound like I'm in the advertising business and selling a
junk product, but these people at TC are experts in the field and I
know they communicate with the best (likely Dan has dealt with them to
do his 6.5" driver). There's a LOT in the commercial/other audio
worlds we do not see (read what Dan said about how his stuff offered
to DIY is nothing compared to what he builds for manufacturers). Dan
Wiggins is from http://www.adireaudio.com in case those do not know.

BTW...for those that do not know about Seas Excel drivers, they are
known to be the lowest distortion drivers available. Their sound is
extremely transparent/neutral/accurate/musical. Go to
http://www.linkwitzlabs.com (I think is the website) for more info. Or
visit http://www.seas.no for more info on the Seas "Excel" line of
drivers.