Jeff

Default Facing subs towards driver or away

I been having a debate with some mates lately on which is better, to have
you subs facing the driver or out the back of the car?
any opinions

Jeff

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:18:05 +1100, "Jeff"
wrote:

I been having a debate with some mates lately on which is better, to have
you subs facing the driver or out the back of the car?
any opinions

Jeff

each car is different...kinda...

try it in your car and see what sounds best.

IN THEORY, id say facing away will sound better. If you do the math,
a bass wave length is like around 15 feet long. So pointing towards
the trunk allows for the chance of the sound bounceing off of the
trunk and giving it a longer distance before it hits your ear...thus
louder ... but, sometimes pointing them straight up sounds best.
THUS, i say it depends on the vechile

then again ... i am baseing my knowledge on junk i learnt thru out
engineering school... real world stuff is much different then
science!
sanitarium

IMHO it depends on the car and its coustics... gotta experiment to find
what works and what doesn't.
Gonna try pointing my powerbase 15 to the rear of my hatchback and
perforating the hatch cover lid.

Garrett

Jeff wrote:

I been having a debate with some mates lately on which is better, to have
you subs facing the driver or out the back of the car?
any opinions

Jeff

s7oned

i have heard putting subs at the back facing forward have mor
cancellation issues due to wave bouncing off the back end an
cancelling the front wave...i read it in a website... and according t
it.. subs facing back and as close to the trunklid or hatch USUALL
yeild best results..HOWEVER..i recommend you try them out and see what
better...shouldnt take too much effort
-
s7one
CarAudioForum.com - Usenet Gateway w/over one million posts online
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthr...threadid=16622

Mark Zarella

i have heard putting subs at the back facing forward have more
cancellation issues due to wave bouncing off the back end and
cancelling the front wave...i read it in a website...

You can also read about alien visits on websites too. At bass wavelengths (17
feet @ 60 Hz and much longer at lower frequencies)

(and shorter at higher frequencies)

there just aren't any
"cancellation" issues going on in the car cabin.

Sure there are. The wavelength is on the order of car size. A 9ft path
length difference is enough to put the 60 Hz wave completely out of
phase. A 90 degree shift requires only 4.5 feet. That can easily be
the path length difference that the poster was referring to.

In your living room the standing wave region will occur in the bass range
(roughly 30 to 300 Hz) but in a much smaller space this is shifted up by about
an octave (60 to 600 Hz in a small car.)

But even at 60 Hz any 'cancellations' will occur at a fraction of a wavelength
(200-300 Hz) and not at the fundamental.

You don't need 180 degree differences to create attenuation or any other
response irregularities. Even so, why are you ignoring the importance
of "higher" frequencies?

Eddie Runner

http://installer.com/tech/aiming2.html
Ok TOM, here are the tests I finally got around to running (today)
Unlike your BOGUS made up tests, I have pictures as well as
witnesses to back up my claims....

ha ha
Click on the link above to see what I did today...

I cant wait to hear your excuses....

feet @ 60 Hz and much longer at lower frequencies) there just aren't any
"cancellation" issues going on in the car cabin.

In your living room the standing wave region will occur in the bass range
(roughly 30 to 300 Hz) but in a much smaller space this is shifted up by about
an octave (60 to 600 Hz in a small car.)

But even at 60 Hz any 'cancellations' will occur at a fraction of a wavelength
(200-300 Hz) and not at the fundamental.

and according to
it.. subs facing back and as close to the trunklid or hatch USUALLY
yeild best results.

Often it will; but not for the reasons stated on that website. The only
advantage of subwoofer orientation is that facing the woofer/port away from the
listener reduces the possibility that mid-range sounds and driver/box/port
noises will be less likely to be audible.

.HOWEVER..i recommend you try them out and see whats
better...shouldnt take too much effort.
--
s7oned

Good idea.

Luke Hague

I guess you didn't read Nousaine's post, which was what I was replying too,
which is in this thread.

"sancho" tR-003.at.ev1.dot.net wrote in message

did you not understand what you read or were you trying to reply to a
different post?

"Luke Hague" wrote in message
Then how come it still makes a difference in a sealed box? And I do

mean
sealed I tested my box under a vaccuum before putting the speakers in

and
seriously doubt air gets past the subs with what I used to seal it.

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Jeff"

I been having a debate with some mates lately on which is better, to

have
you subs facing the driver or out the back of the car?
any opinions

Jeff

Here's the deal on this. At subwoofer frequencies it makes no

difference
which
way the face of the woofer points. IOW, you can't aim a subwoofer.

On the other hand, it's often useful to face the driver/port away from

the
listeners ears. This is because distortion products (higher

harmonics),
port
noise, suspension noise out-of-band artifacts and mid-range

reflections
off the
back wall of the enclosure radiated through the cone can help cause
localization. So facing the driver/port away from the listener so the

cabinet
helps acoustically shadow these sounds can be useful.

Because acoustic sounds at subwoofer frequencies (approximately 100

Hz)
are
omnidirectional the SPL/Frequency response will be uneffected either

way.

Eddie Runner

Nousaine dont know ****.

He claims turnng your box to aim to the back
in a car makes no difference.... he needs to get out more
into the real world... Every punk kid with a woofer box knows
it does!

Luke Hague wrote:

I guess you didn't read Nousaine's post, which was what I was replying too,
which is in this thread.

thelizman

Luke Hague wrote:
I guess you didn't read Nousaine's post, which was what I was replying too,
which is in this thread.

Nousaine? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

--
Lizard
Nousaine in the Membrane

cyrus

In article ,
"Jeff" wrote:

I been having a debate with some mates lately on which is better, to have
you subs facing the driver or out the back of the car?
any opinions

Jeff

the way that sounds the best in your car.

--
cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Eddie Runner

try them both ways and choose the one that sounds best to you.
Most folks like the woofer box facing the rear of the car.

Eddie Runner
http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html

Jeff wrote:

I been having a debate with some mates lately on which is better, to have
you subs facing the driver or out the back of the car?
any opinions

Jeff

Boston 8" subs enclosures Challenger Car Audio 2 November 22nd 03 06:47 AM
Any Home diyers looking for a "DREAM" 12" Seas Excel like low distortion/transparency driver with FR-2khz??? Mike Car Audio 0 September 12th 03 08:27 PM
Alpine deck blew my subs! Indiglow Car Audio 9 August 16th 03 01:46 AM
Best 8" subs? Sam Carleton Car Audio 7 August 15th 03 04:25 AM
Subwoofer direction Doobie-Doo Car Audio 108 August 13th 03 04:15 PM