Default Want WAV editor allows cutting without changing remaining audio

I have some WAV recordings that I would like to trim to remove extra
material
at the beginning/end. I am looking for a wav file editor that will let
me do
simple edits like this, without changing the remaining audio.

From cursory examination of the .WAV file format, I would have thought

this was simple to do. Yet the programs I have tried so far (Audacity,
Nero WAV editor) can't even manage the even simpler operations of
Opening and saving a .WAV file, without changing the contents.

i.e., If I open a .WAV file, do nothing to it, then save/export it with
a new name, then compare the result to my original (fc /b), there are
lots of changes reported (not just at the beginning of the file). (And
each subsequent save/export produces yet a different variant of the
file.)

Are there portions of a .WAV file given over to garbage? If so, it
would
make life easier if the tool would repeat the same garbage
consistently.
(e.g. so that file compare routines could recognize when files are
identical.)
Is there generational information embedded in wav files? If so, are
there
comparison programs that will extract this information, or at least
ignore it
and tell you when the audio portions of two wav files are identical?

Looking for something low cost or free. (Don't need lots of bells and
whistles, just something simple and fast to do some basic operations.)

Thank you
Sorry, the e-mail address above is no longer valid, if you wish to
respond by e-mail, please use zzxjoanw at hotmail period com. I will
post a summary of relevant e-mail responses.

Tim Martin

wrote in message
oups.com...

i.e., If I open a .WAV file, do nothing to it, then save/export it with
a new name, then compare the result to my original (fc /b), there are
lots of changes reported (not just at the beginning of the file). (And
each subsequent save/export produces yet a different variant of the
file.)

The .wav format specification allows some variability in the way data is
stored; that is, the same audio data can be stored in different ways.
Here's oe description and commentary on the spec

http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/wave.htm

I guess each program will have its own methods of storing the data (eg,
order of the .wav file components)

Anyway, I tried what you suggested - I took an existing .wav file, created
by a Tascam 788 recorder, and opened and saved it with Goldwave. The input
and output files differed. I then opened the output file in Goldwave, and
saved it as a second output fiole. The two output files were identical.

Tim

Norbert Hahn

I have some WAV recordings that I would like to trim to remove extra
material
at the beginning/end. I am looking for a wav file editor that will let
me do
simple edits like this, without changing the remaining audio.

Most audio editors should allow to select a portion of the file and
offer Save Highlighted Part.

From cursory examination of the .WAV file format, I would have thought

this was simple to do. Yet the programs I have tried so far (Audacity,
Nero WAV editor) can't even manage the even simpler operations of
Opening and saving a .WAV file, without changing the contents.

i.e., If I open a .WAV file, do nothing to it, then save/export it with
a new name, then compare the result to my original (fc /b), there are
lots of changes reported (not just at the beginning of the file). (And
each subsequent save/export produces yet a different variant of the
file.)

The problem lies with fc as it doesn't know anything about the structure
of a wav file. It consists of several chunks, one of them is headed
DATA. That's shouldn't change unless you change the music i.e. by
deleting/inserting, changing the amplitude, EQ.

Anything else ususally changes because the INFO chunk may contain the
name of the program that stored the file. Even the header of the wave
file will change because it stores the length of the file and the
displacement of the next chunk. As the position of the chunks are
not fixed, some program will store the DATA chunk before the INFO
chunk while some other program will store INFO before DATA.

Norbert

Arny Krueger

Norbert Hahn wrote:
wrote:

I have some WAV recordings that I would like to trim to

remove extra
material
at the beginning/end. I am looking for a wav file editor

that will
let me do
simple edits like this, without changing the remaining

audio.

Most audio editors should allow to select a portion of the

file and
offer Save Highlighted Part.

From cursory examination of the .WAV file format, I

would have
thought

[...]

Good point. There are .wav file comparison tools in CDEX and
EAC (both free downloads) that do know about the structure
of .wav files and report only differences that could be
sonically relevant.

Norbert Hahn wrote:
wrote:

From cursory examination of the .WAV file format, I would have

thought
[...]

No, the programs are changing the audio data (not just the header).
I have since confirmed this using a WAV editor. I inverted one of
the files and then added it to one of the others. If the audio had
been identical, this should have resulted in a .WAV file of all 0's.
It doesn't. (I did this before I found out about the .WAV compare
features mentioned by others in this thread.)

So the programs (Audacity, Nero Wave Editor) are adding their own noise
to the WAV files.

features, and for the suggestion of GoldWave. It doesn't seem to have
this problem.

Alpine 9811 HU cutting out? PerxHardlyWorkin Car Audio 11 August 14th 04 12:03 AM
Classic records Vs. first pressings (Tube cutting amplifiers) maxdm High End Audio 93 June 22nd 04 11:52 PM
Changing the polarity? TheBIessedDead Car Audio 4 January 6th 04 07:36 AM
cutting out AL Car Audio 1 September 15th 03 03:47 AM
Two Amps Installed but One is cutting out Corwin Car Audio 9 August 4th 03 11:17 AM