Bob Cain

Default Ohm's With the Walsh Driver

There's a pair of them at a local garage sale for $25. The
externals are beat to **** but the protective cans around
the drivers haven't been compromised and they pass the 9V
battery test. Would you buy them?

No brainer, huh. I just need a prod, I guess, to open my
wallet even a little for anything these days.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
William Sommerwerck

There's a pair of them at a local garage sale for $25. The
externals are beat to **** but the protective cans around
the drivers haven't been compromised and they pass the
9V battery test. Would you buy them?

Well, why do you want them? For fun, to play with? Then buy then.

Unfortuately, the Walsh driver is extremely insensitive. And because the wave
that propagates down the side of the driver is not properly terminated, and
moves back up driver, they are rather colored.

I say, without an sarcasm, they might make good subwoofers.

Bob Cain

William Sommerwerck wrote:

There's a pair of them at a local garage sale for $25. The
externals are beat to **** but the protective cans around
the drivers haven't been compromised and they pass the
9V battery test. Would you buy them?

Well, why do you want them? For fun, to play with? Then buy then.

Yea, that's about it. If they are still there tomorrow I'm
going to pick them up. I've just got to have them I realize
as a perhaps unsuccessful, but nonetheless novel concept in
a field that hasn't really seen much novelty.

Unfortuately, the Walsh driver is extremely insensitive.

Yes, and it did occur to me to wonder what their performance
might be if the magnet could be replaced with one of the
modern compounds that contain so much more energy.

And because the wave
that propagates down the side of the driver is not properly terminated, and
moves back up driver, they are rather colored.

I always did wonder about that. The theory sounded good
until you started wondering about what happened at the end.
I suppose it's possible to somehow provide a viscous
termination with a mechanical resistance equal to the
chracteristic impedence of the driver cone but I don't
remember them ever claiming that. But you are right,
without that they should ring like hell. First thing I'd be
doing, of course, is to see what they do to an impulse.

I say, without an sarcasm, they might make good subwoofers.

:-)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Arny Krueger

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

There's a pair of them at a local garage sale for $25. The
externals are beat to **** but the protective cans around
the drivers haven't been compromised and they pass the
9V battery test. Would you buy them?

As a curiosity, given that I had a lot of empy space in my basement or attic
to fill.

Well, why do you want them? For fun, to play with? Then buy then.

Agreed. As serious audio, they are a zero.

Unfortuately, the Walsh driver is extremely insensitive.

Roger that!

And because
the wave that propagates down the side of the driver is not properly
terminated, and moves back up driver, they are rather colored.

Agreed!

I say, without an sarcasm, they might make good subwoofers.

Not nearly enough Xmax.

Arny Krueger

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

William Sommerwerck wrote:

There's a pair of them at a local garage sale for $25. The
externals are beat to **** but the protective cans around
the drivers haven't been compromised and they pass the
9V battery test. Would you buy them?

Well, why do you want them? For fun, to play with? Then buy then.

Yea, that's about it. If they are still there tomorrow I'm
going to pick them up. I've just got to have them I realize
as a perhaps unsuccessful, but nonetheless novel concept in
a field that hasn't really seen much novelty.

Unfortuately, the Walsh driver is extremely insensitive.

Yes, and it did occur to me to wonder what their performance
might be if the magnet could be replaced with one of the
modern compounds that contain so much more energy.

A creul fact of life is that it has long been possible to create just about
any kind of magnet that one could want for decades, subject to the fact that
you can only pump so much magnetism through a speaker's magnet assembly, and
then the polepieces, etc saturate, and won't take any more.

And because the wave
that propagates down the side of the driver is not properly
terminated, and moves back up driver, they are rather colored.

I always did wonder about that. The theory sounded good
until you started wondering about what happened at the end.

It reflects back, slits, suspension, bits of foam, etc notwithstanding.

I suppose it's possible to somehow provide a viscous
termination with a mechanical resistance equal to the
chracteristic impedence of the driver cone but I don't
remember them ever claiming that. But you are right,
without that they should ring like hell.

Which they are kind enough to do, proving again that the natural universe is
ruled by the Laws Of Physics, no matter what audio manufactuers and audio
pundits, try to claim.

First thing I'd be doing, of course, is to see what they do to an
impulse.

What Walsh drivers do to impulses should not be done to a dog.

I say, without an sarcasm, they might make good subwoofers.

Still got not nearly enough Xmax.