Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Interesting turntable

https://maglevaudio.com

If the link doesn't work search maglev turntable

May eliminate rumble, but eccentricity must be a challenge.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 2/07/2017 6:01 AM, wrote:

https://maglevaudio.com

If the link doesn't work search maglev turntable

May eliminate rumble, but eccentricity must be a challenge.

Yeah but you'd need a piezo crystal cartridge.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck H. Chuck H. is offline

On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 10:55:12 +1200, geoff
wrote:

On 2/07/2017 6:01 AM, wrote:

https://maglevaudio.com

If the link doesn't work search maglev turntable

May eliminate rumble, but eccentricity must be a challenge.

Yeah but you'd need a piezo crystal cartridge.

They come with an Ortofon magnetic.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

wrote:

On 2/07/2017 6:01 AM, wrote:

https://maglevaudio.com

If the link doesn't work search maglev turntable

May eliminate rumble, but eccentricity must be a challenge.

Yeah but you'd need a piezo crystal cartridge.

They come with an Ortofon magnetic.
geoff

So it seems. And the the levitation and rotation is achieve how ?

Not convinced it's for real.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gray_Wolf Gray_Wolf is offline

wrote:

On 2/07/2017 6:01 AM, wrote:

https://maglevaudio.com

If the link doesn't work search maglev turntable

May eliminate rumble, but eccentricity must be a challenge.

Yeah but you'd need a piezo crystal cartridge.

They come with an Ortofon magnetic.

geoff

How are the applying the drive force to the turntable?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

---------------------

And the the levitation and rotation is achieve how ?

Not convinced it's for real.

** Many things about it scream scam - but ....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1898322

Only 12W consumption so it must use permanent magnets.

..... Phil

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

wrote:
On 2/07/2017 6:01 AM, wrote:
https://maglevaudio.com

If the link doesn't work search maglev turntable

May eliminate rumble, but eccentricity must be a challenge.

Yeah but you'd need a piezo crystal cartridge.

They come with an Ortofon magnetic.

So it seems. And the the levitation and rotation is achieve how ?

Not convinced it's for real.

Who cares. Even if it is you can be certain it's just an expensive
gimmick for people with more money than sense.
(So I guess the vinyl nostalgia market is a perfect target. :-)
The low end Ortofon OM5E as used in most budget turntables gives you an
idea of the performance to expect for a start.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
On 2/07/2017 6:01 AM, wrote:
https://maglevaudio.com

If the link doesn't work search maglev turntable

May eliminate rumble, but eccentricity must be a challenge.

Yeah but you'd need a piezo crystal cartridge.
They come with an Ortofon magnetic.

So it seems. And the the levitation and rotation is achieve how ?

Not convinced it's for real.

Who cares. Even if it is you can be certain it's just an expensive
gimmick for people with more money than sense.
(So I guess the vinyl nostalgia market is a perfect target. :-)
The low end Ortofon OM5E as used in most budget turntables gives you an
idea of the performance to expect for a start.

The whole exercise is simply one turd-polishing. Once you have moved
beyond a Dansette, you've surpassed all the quality possibilities of
vinyl.

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/2/2017 1:11 AM, geoff wrote:

And the the levitation and rotation is achieve how ?

Permanent magnets. It runs. It plays records. I saw one at CES this
year. I think it's more for amazing and amusing your friends than for
being a superior way to play records, though I expect that the isolation
from vibration is excellent. Just the thing for playing your old Bob
Dylan or Aerosmith LPs during an earthquake.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 2/07/2017 9:10 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/2/2017 1:11 AM, geoff wrote:

And the the levitation and rotation is achieve how ?

Permanent magnets. It runs. It plays records. I saw one at CES this
year. I think it's more for amazing and amusing your friends than for
being a superior way to play records,

I don't think there is any doubt about that.

though I expect that the isolation from vibration is excellent.

I wouldn't be sure about that. The magnetic coupling must be pretty good
for it to work at all, which means most vibration should also be pretty
well coupled.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:

-----------------

Mike Rivers wrote:
geoff wrote:

And the the levitation and rotation is achieve how ?

Permanent magnets. It runs. It plays records. I saw one at CES this
year. I think it's more for amazing and amusing your friends than for
being a superior way to play records,

I don't think there is any doubt about that.

though I expect that the isolation from vibration is excellent.

I wouldn't be sure about that. The magnetic coupling must be pretty good
for it to work at all, which means most vibration should also be pretty
well coupled.

** In a video of the unit, the platter is seen bouncing about for many seconds when displaced - much like a Lin Sondek's platter does.

The Sondek has soft coil springs supporting a heavy alloy platter and its sub frame. As a result, it has really excellent isolation from floor vibrations.

So my bet is Mike is right.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 3/07/2017 12:58 AM, Phil Allison wrote:

** In a video of the unit, the platter is seen bouncing about for many seconds when displaced - much like a Lin Sondek's platter does.

The Sondek has soft coil springs supporting a heavy alloy platter and its sub frame. As a result, it has really excellent isolation from floor vibrations.

So my bet is Mike is right.

.... Phil

Would be better if the tone arm, rigidly-coupled to the platter, was
equally isolated. Cos otherwise any vibration etc with get to the
cartridge by that route.

And what about the drive magnetics ?

The opportunity to 'pre-order' says it all for me.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jjaj1998@netscape.net is offline

Digital motor my guess.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

--------------------

Phil Allison wrote:

** In a video of the unit, the platter is seen bouncing about for many seconds when displaced - much like a Lin Sondek's platter does.

The Sondek has soft coil springs supporting a heavy alloy platter and its sub frame. As a result, it has really excellent isolation from floor vibrations.

So my bet is Mike is right.

Would be better if the tone arm, rigidly-coupled to the platter,

** Err - you mean base.

was
equally isolated. Cos otherwise any vibration etc with get to the
cartridge by that route.

** In practice, almost none does and then creates no output.

The famous Sondek has the same arrangement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linn_Sondek_LP12

And what about the drive magnetics ?

** That is still a mystery.

Electromagnetics could be used, it needs little power.

The opportunity to 'pre-order' says it all for me.

** Production is still not under way.

AFAIK it is intended that all sales be done on-line with the makers in Slovenia.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 3/07/2017 1:29 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
geoff wrote:

--------------------

Phil Allison wrote:

** In a video of the unit, the platter is seen bouncing about for many seconds when displaced - much like a Lin Sondek's platter does.

The Sondek has soft coil springs supporting a heavy alloy platter and its sub frame. As a result, it has really excellent isolation from floor vibrations.

So my bet is Mike is right.

Would be better if the tone arm, rigidly-coupled to the platter,

** Err - you mean base.

Base and platter. If the base/tonearm is vibrating and the platter
isn't, then output results from cartridge. If tonearm and platter on
the same structure then any excitation is to both and is therefore in
unison (apart from from the disc !), then likely less output from the
cartridge.

My olde Garrard 301/SME had the whole base on a board that was itself
isolated from the casing and whatever it stood on - in my case a heavy
wooden table with legs standing on concrete piles into the ground below,
not touching the floor ! (Extreme and probably pointless, yes, but I was
building the house and there was little actual effort involved./..)

was
equally isolated. Cos otherwise any vibration etc with get to the
cartridge by that route.

** In practice, almost none does and then creates no output.

The famous Sondek has the same arrangement.

I think you'll find the tone-arm and platter are on the same suspended
sub-chassis. Mine friend's was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linn_Sondek_LP12

And what about the drive magnetics ?

** That is still a mystery.

Electromagnetics could be used, it needs little power.

Electromagnetics and magnetic cartridge ...

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Geoff wrote:

---------------

** In practice, almost none does and then creates no output.

The famous Sondek has the same arrangement.

I think you'll find the tone-arm and platter are on the same suspended
sub-chassis. Mine friend's was.

** On reflection, I think you are right.

I never owned a Sondek but used a belt drive TT and uni-pivot arm mounted on inch thick Perspex.

The Perspex slab was suspended on three be-hive springs and wobbled like jelly if bumped. The floor isolation was amazing.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 3/07/2017 4:50 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Geoff wrote:

---------------

** In practice, almost none does and then creates no output.

The famous Sondek has the same arrangement.

I think you'll find the tone-arm and platter are on the same suspended
sub-chassis. Mine friend's was.

** On reflection, I think you are right.

I never owned a Sondek but used a belt drive TT and uni-pivot arm mounted on inch thick Perspex.

The Perspex slab was suspended on three be-hive springs and wobbled like jelly if bumped. The floor isolation was amazing.

.... Phil

Sounds like a Mitchell Focus I once had,. But then again I think that
was glass.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Phil Allison wrote:
geoff wrote:

---------------------

And the the levitation and rotation is achieve how ?

Not convinced it's for real.

** Many things about it scream scam - but ....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1898322

Only 12W consumption so it must use permanent magnets.

Yes. It uses permanent magnets whose field falls off with the 4th power
of the distance so the resistance increases dramatically with deflection.
Which is good, at least in terms of the spring side of the mass-spring system.

The problem with this implementation is that it doesn't have enough mass, so
once you set it moving it bounces back and forth pretty severely at the
system's resonant frequency.

Doesn't anyone build sand tables anymore?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 03/07/2017 13:54, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Doesn't anyone build sand tables anymore?

Werll, guv'nor. It's like this. You just can't get decent sand nowadays.
Sucks teeth Costs an arm and a leg, it does... Walks off, shaking
head gently

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
geoff wrote:

---------------------

And the the levitation and rotation is achieve how ?

Not convinced it's for real.

** Many things about it scream scam - but ....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1898322

Only 12W consumption so it must use permanent magnets.

Yes. It uses permanent magnets whose field falls off with the 4th
power of the distance so the resistance increases dramatically with
deflection. Which is good, at least in terms of the spring side of
the mass-spring system.

The problem with this implementation is that it doesn't have enough
mass, so once you set it moving it bounces back and forth pretty
severely at the system's resonant frequency.

Doesn't anyone build sand tables anymore? --scott

Not if they can help it.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

------------------------

** Many things about it scream scam - but ....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1898322

Only 12W consumption so it must use permanent magnets.

Yes. It uses permanent magnets whose field falls off with the 4th power
of the distance so the resistance increases dramatically with deflection.
Which is good, at least in terms of the spring side of the mass-spring system.

The problem with this implementation is that it doesn't have enough mass, so
once you set it moving it bounces back and forth pretty severely at the
system's resonant frequency.

** Adding mas to the platter would only make the bouncing worse.

The problem is lack of damping.

How the heck do you damp something that floats ?

...... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 4/07/2017 1:34 p.m., Phil Allison wrote:

How the heck do you damp something that floats ?

Enough of this toilet humour !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 9:29:29 PM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
geoff wrote:

--------------------

Phil Allison wrote:

[...]

I say it's more complex than just magnets, otherwise someone would have produced one years ago. Besides, it'd be too unstable with just magnets.

Too much ripple in the DC would be sent to the platter, 120Hz. vibrations!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 18:34:15 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

------------------------

** Many things about it scream scam - but ....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1898322

Only 12W consumption so it must use permanent magnets.

Yes. It uses permanent magnets whose field falls off with the 4th power
of the distance so the resistance increases dramatically with deflection.
Which is good, at least in terms of the spring side of the mass-spring system.

The problem with this implementation is that it doesn't have enough mass, so
once you set it moving it bounces back and forth pretty severely at the
system's resonant frequency.

** Adding mas to the platter would only make the bouncing worse.

The problem is lack of damping.

How the heck do you damp something that floats ?

There is plenty of magnetic field there. All you need is some copper
or aluminium to generate eddy currents.

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Phil Allison wrote:
** Adding mas to the platter would only make the bouncing worse.

The problem is lack of damping.

Adding mass would make it bounce at a lower and lower frequency, so you could
get it down to very long periods. But agreed, the lack of damping is the
worst problem.

The more I think about it, though, the more I think that the nonlinearity of
the repulsion means you can't easily model it simply as a damped spring
system, since it's nearly "bouncing off the stops" at the extremes with a
low-resistance band in the middle. I think this is actually going to be
worse than spring coupling if one were to do the math.

How the heck do you damp something that floats ?

Put it underwater! Or in motor oil! Or in a sulfur hexafluoride atmosphere!
--scott

Or sand...