RPS

Default Audio quality "CD Clock Radio"

I would like to have a CD Clock Radio for the side table in the
bedroom. Each of those options is necessary and important.

My problem is that it is a tiny crowded space, and I don't have
room for the mini systems I might have wanted.

I looked at Tivoli (being very happy with their Model One radio),
but they only seem to offer a two-component, which for that
reason also adds up to $400. I would like to use less space
and less money.

All suggestions appreciated.
Jim White

RPS wrote in message ...
I would like to have a CD Clock Radio for the side table in the
bedroom. Each of those options is necessary and important.

My problem is that it is a tiny crowded space, and I don't have
room for the mini systems I might have wanted.

Look at the TEAC range.
They have a unit that is combined tuner, CD, clock with timer that
doubles as an alarm.
I can't remember what the model number is for the unit alone, (sold by
HIFI shops) but I bought a unit from Comet or Currys (can't remember
which, they're next door to one another in Taunton)which came with two
TEAC speakers for about £120.
Maybe not *true* HIFI, but a *lot* better than mini systems from Sony
et al.
Go to TEAC's web site and get their 'phone number. They were really
helpful when I called.
Neil

RPS wrote in message ...
I would like to have a CD Clock Radio for the side table in the
bedroom. Each of those options is necessary and important.

My problem is that it is a tiny crowded space, and I don't have
room for the mini systems I might have wanted.

Some suggestions for CD clock radios:

Bose

Cambridge SoundWorks

Sony

TEAC

Also, I think a lot of boomboxes and minisystems (which I know you
don't want, but I'll mention anyway) have built-in clock radio
features. My point here is that adding a clock and alarm feature is
apparently so cheap and easy to do that many electronic components
have those features.

I looked at Tivoli (being very happy with their Model One radio),
but they only seem to offer a two-component, which for that
reason also adds up to $400. I would like to use less space
and less money.

All suggestions appreciated.

RPS

Neil wrote:

Some suggestions for CD clock radios:
Bose
Cambridge SoundWorks
Sony
TEAC

Also, I think a lot of boomboxes and minisystems (which I know you
don't want, but I'll mention anyway) have built-in clock radio
features. My point here is that adding a clock and alarm feature is
apparently so cheap and easy to do that many electronic components
have those features.

This is for a severely space-challenged nightstand, so even "mini"
systems are too big. Besides, while many mini systems may have a clock
"feature", if they are not designed as a clock radio the time display
can be too small for that use.

Sony has a couple of promising models. Bose is too expensive ($500). I
have not seen Teac or Cambridge Soundworks anywhere, I think the latter
only sells by mail order?

Anyway, I am kind of disappointed that no "audiophile" companies have
something like this with good audio and, having started on a search for
"audiophile" quality cd-clock-radio, the best I have seen is a sony
model at Circuit City! (Tivoli has a good radio, Boston Acoustics a
good clock radio, but I haven't met my ideal "cd clock radio" yet.)

If anybody in the Chicago area knows of a good audiophile store that
has a great candidate, please post.
Laurence Payne

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 02:10:47 GMT, RPS wrote:

Anyway, I am kind of disappointed that no "audiophile" companies have
something like this with good audio and, having started on a search for
"audiophile" quality cd-clock-radio, the best I have seen is a sony
model at Circuit City! (Tivoli has a good radio, Boston Acoustics a
good clock radio, but I haven't met my ideal "cd clock radio" yet.)

Good audio doesn't come in such small packages, I'm afraid :-)

Bass response can be forced out of a small box, but creates a very
nasty and tiring sound (cf the Bose "Wave" boxes. Appealing on first
hearing, but you soon get tired of listening to a single bass
frequency).

Get a cheap clock-radio. You can survive listening to the content,
not the hi-fi, particularly when your head is buried in a pillow.

I expect one of the "life-style" system providers would rig you up
something compact, pretty, vastly over-priced and mediocre-sounding if
you asked nicely ;-)

Arny Krueger

"Laurence Payne" wrote in
message

Bass response can be forced out of a small box, but creates a very
nasty and tiring sound (cf the Bose "Wave" boxes. Appealing on first
hearing, but you soon get tired of listening to a single bass
frequency).

Just because Bose blew it, doesn't mean that someone else can't do it right.
I was speaking with a designer about efforts to get large amounts of clean
40 Hz bass out of a 1-gallon enclosure. I think he's going to do it!

RPS

Laurence Payne wrote:

Good audio doesn't come in such small packages, I'm afraid :-)
Get a cheap clock-radio. You can survive listening to the content,
not the hi-fi, particularly when your head is buried in a pillow.

Let me frame the question as follows: We need a cd clock radio. Because
of the space limitation, it needs to be of the size of a clock radio,
not boombox or mini-systems. Who offers the best audio quality within
those limitations?

Bose is too expensive (500) for what it sounds like. I am intrigued by
Cambridge Audio unit (250?) but haven't heard it. Sony is an ok option
at 100 but not great.

Tivoli has a good radio, Boston a good clock radio, but neither has a
decent CD clock radio.
Laurence Payne

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:53:37 GMT, RPS wrote:

Let me frame the question as follows: We need a cd clock radio. Because
of the space limitation, it needs to be of the size of a clock radio,
not boombox or mini-systems. Who offers the best audio quality within
those limitations?

Bose is too expensive (500) for what it sounds like. I am intrigued by
Cambridge Audio unit (250?) but haven't heard it. Sony is an ok option
at 100 but not great.

Tivoli has a good radio, Boston a good clock radio, but neither has a
decent CD clock radio.

So use a cheap clock radio to wake you, get up if you want to hear
hi-fi.

If you're awake enough to appreciate quality audio, why are you lying
in bed? :-)
RPS

Laurence Payne wrote:

So use a cheap clock radio to wake you, get up if you want to hear
hi-fi.

The way I am approaching it is: If I am going to get a clock radio, may
as well get the best sound for my money. That's all I am seeking.

If you're awake enough to appreciate quality audio, why are you
lying in bed? :-)

I think you are on to something here---why I am lying in bed when I
could be up and about---but this is no longer audio territory. :-)

Laurence Payne

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 04:23:56 GMT, RPS wrote:

So use a cheap clock radio to wake you, get up if you want to hear
hi-fi.

The way I am approaching it is: If I am going to get a clock radio, may
as well get the best sound for my money. That's all I am seeking.

To make a serious point:

My alarm clock/radio for many years was a portable radio, with a
front-mounted hf speaker and a side-mounted bass unit. This second
speaker was switchable. With it on, the sound was definitely
"better". But, for my purposes, which included setting the radio to
a 30-minute switch-off as I prepared for sleep, it was a nuisance.
With it the sound was annoyingly intrusive.

"Hi-fi" actually turned out to be a negative factor in the special
contest of a bedside clock-radio !
Joseph Oberlander

Laurence Payne wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 04:23:56 GMT, RPS wrote:

So use a cheap clock radio to wake you, get up if you want to hear
hi-fi.

The way I am approaching it is: If I am going to get a clock radio, may
as well get the best sound for my money. That's all I am seeking.

To make a serious point:

My alarm clock/radio for many years was a portable radio, with a
front-mounted hf speaker and a side-mounted bass unit. This second
speaker was switchable. With it on, the sound was definitely
"better". But, for my purposes, which included setting the radio to
a 30-minute switch-off as I prepared for sleep, it was a nuisance.
With it the sound was annoyingly intrusive.

"Hi-fi" actually turned out to be a negative factor in the special
contest of a bedside clock-radio !

Mine for years was...

A switching box. I found this neat electronic power strip/switchbox
with a timer and clock in it for about $100 15 years ago(died 5 years
later in an earthquake ). It would even turn on banks in series
a second apart so as to not blow the breaker. Set the time and presto -
stereo turned on at the same time every morning.

It was silver and about the size of a CD player/tape deck - fit in the
stereo rack. Not merely an outlet strip.

Mine was silver, but simmilar. Neat toy.

http://djsoucek.webpark.cz/a_pioneer_dt_530.htm
http://djsoucek.webpark.cz/a_pioneer_dt_500.htm(nice picture)
IIRC, mine was something like this. I don't know if these type of devices
are still made, but they are far better an alternative than a clock radio.

Sir Chewbury Gubbins

Laurence Payne wrote:

So use a cheap clock radio to wake you, get up if you want to hear
hi-fi.

If you're awake enough to appreciate quality audio, why are you lying
in bed? :-)

Presumably for one of those days when you "just can't get the bloody bed
off your back"?

Choobs

--
Sir Chewbury Gubbins
Knight of the Wholly Gnarly Widget
RPS

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Mine for years was...

A switching box. I found this neat electronic power strip/switchbox
with a timer and clock in it for about $100 15 years ago(died 5 years
later in an earthquake ). It would even turn on banks in series
a second apart so as to not blow the breaker. Set the time and presto -
stereo turned on at the same time every morning.

It was silver and about the size of a CD player/tape deck - fit in the
stereo rack. Not merely an outlet strip.

Mine was silver, but simmilar. Neat toy.

http://djsoucek.webpark.cz/a_pioneer_dt_530.htm
http://djsoucek.webpark.cz/a_pioneer_dt_500.htm(nice picture)
IIRC, mine was something like this. I don't know if these type of devices
are still made, but they are far better an alternative than a clock radio.

I love the pictures. However, what I need is not to switch on my hi-fi
system that sits in the living room, but a small cd clock radio on the
space-challenged nightstand right in the bed-room!

So far the best deal appears to Sony 863 (can't rememebr the full model
number), $99.

There are better sounding clock radios from Tivoli radio and Boston but
neither company offers a decent "cd clock radio" solution.

There is something from Cambridge Soundworks, designed by Henry Kloss,
around $259, looks like Bose's $500 rip-off, but I haven't heard it.