Michael Salem

Default Arrays of small speakers

As OP, many thanks for all the responses to my question. The conclusion
I reach from the postings and URLs is that a lot of terrible speaker
drive units combine, if carefully built, to form one cheap, but
mediocre, speaker.

Another project of the same sort that I actually built was to use a
couple of small (2"?), cheap, transistor-radio speakers in some sort of
enclosures (I used cylindrical plastic food containers) to make cheap
headphones which were supposed to punch above their weight (I.e., sound
as good as much more expensive headphones). I remember being satisfied,
but that might just have been influenced by pride in my own handiwork...

Best wishes,
--
Michael Salem

Pat Farrell

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:52:41 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Pat Farrell wrote:
The second major problem is that a linear array of speakers is a comb
filter.

A linear array doesn't have to be a comb filter, as used. But if built
naively, that is a clear and present danger.

True, the $50K PipeDreams avoid it. But you have to be careful, which
takes away most of the attraction of the idea.

Pat http://www.pfarrell.com/prc/

Geoff Wood

Per Stromgren wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:38:59 +0100, Michael Salem
wrote:

I remember seeing information on arrays of inexpensive small speakers
(multiple small drive units in a single enclosure) for high-fidelity
purposes.

The problem with this approach is the displacement.

Another problem is that is many times less a point-source thn even a 3-way
speaker.

geoff