simonleemd

Default sonic benefit of a Tubed- over SS Power supply

Hi, I am a newbie. I am interested in getting a Line-stage tube preamp for
teaming up with my SS amp. The Line-stage tube preamp offer 2 version
of power supply- one is SS the other is tube . I wonder would there be
any sonic advantages of tubed- over the SS power supply ? Your
explaination and opinion is highly appreciated and thanks in advance
Simon
Arny Krueger

simonleemd wrote:

Hi, I am a newbie. I am interested in getting a Line-stage tube
preamp for teaming up with my SS amp. The Line-stage tube preamp
offer 2 version of power supply- one is SS the other is tube . I

Exactly which products are you investigating? I can find several products
that fit your general description.

wonder would there be any sonic advantages of tubed- over the SS
power supply ?

Depends on the implementation, which is why I'm asking for more specifics. .
I can see some advantage of DC power for the tube filaments, which
practically presupposes a power supply that it is at least partially solid
state.

simonleemd

Thanks Mr.Krueger. I am investigating the Tubed and the SS Power supply
namely: the PSIt and the PS1 by Mapletree Audio Design, here is the link
http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

I am interested in either the PSIt or PS1 for the Line2A tube preamp application.
Your opion and suggestions is highly appreciated and thanks in advance
Simon

Arny Krueger

simonleemd wrote:
Thanks Mr.Krueger. I am investigating the Tubed and the SS Power
supply namely: the PSIt and the PS1 by Mapletree Audio Design, here
is the link http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

I am interested in either the PSIt or PS1 for the Line2A tube preamp
application. Your option and suggestions is highly appreciated and
thanks in advance Simon

I have to admit that my CJ tubed preamp has a SS power supply. But, I like
the idea of a slow application of B+. It's too bad they didn't put a time
delay in their SS power supply. The tubed power supply does use SS rectifier
and regulator for the filament supply, which is a big advantage.

simonleemd

Thanks again,Mr.Krueger. Do you think the PSIt would work better than
the PS1 (on the Line2A preamp application)?

Simon
simonleemd

Thanks again,Mr.Krueger. Do you think the PSIt would work better than
the PS1 (on the Line2A preamp application)?

Simon
simonleemd

Thanks again,Mr.Krueger. Do you think the PSIt would work better than
the PS1 (on the Line2A preamp application)?

Simon
unitron

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
simonleemd wrote:
Thanks Mr.Krueger. I am investigating the Tubed and the SS Power
supply namely: the PSIt and the PS1 by Mapletree Audio Design, here
is the link http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

I am interested in either the PSIt or PS1 for the Line2A tube preamp
application. Your option and suggestions is highly appreciated and
thanks in advance Simon

I have to admit that my CJ tubed preamp has a SS power supply. But, I like
the idea of a slow application of B+. It's too bad they didn't put a time
delay in their SS power supply. The tubed power supply does use SS rectifier
and regulator for the filament supply, which is a big advantage.

Waiting for the filament to heat up enough to start boiling electrons
off the cathode to be attracted to the plate sort of counts as a slow
application of B+, doesn't it?

Arny Krueger

unitron wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

I have to admit that my CJ tubed preamp has a SS power supply. But,

I like the idea of a slow application of B+. It's too bad they
didn't put a time delay in their SS power supply. The tubed power
supply does use SS rectifier and regulator for the filament supply,
which is a big advantage.

Waiting for the filament to heat up enough to start boiling electrons
off the cathode to be attracted to the plate sort of counts as a slow
application of B+, doesn't it?

More than sorta. It just does! I find it hard to believe that there aren't
more SS power supplies for tubed equipment that have a time delay on the B+.
Some of these devices even have separate transformers for the B+ which means
that a SCR on the primary side could provide the required control function.

unitron

unitron wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

I have to admit that my CJ tubed preamp has a SS power supply. But,
I like the idea of a slow application of B+. It's too bad they
didn't put a time delay in their SS power supply. The tubed power
supply does use SS rectifier and regulator for the filament supply,
which is a big advantage.

Waiting for the filament to heat up enough to start boiling electrons
off the cathode to be attracted to the plate sort of counts as a slow
application of B+, doesn't it?

More than sorta. It just does! I find it hard to believe that there aren't
more SS power supplies for tubed equipment that have a time delay on the B+.
Some of these devices even have separate transformers for the B+ which means
that a SCR on the primary side could provide the required control function.

If you've got B+ on the plate but no heater current, can the tube suffer harm?

Arny Krueger

unitron wrote:

[...]

Yes.

http://www.svetlana.com/docs/TechBul...techtalk1.html

Tom Aurand

unitron wrote:

[...]

Cathode stripping is completely misunderstood and misstated in that article.
A reference where the effect is at least understood and sorta well explained
is:
http://www.vaxxine.com/phil/scopes/arnoud/weyer.txt